I might be a Honda man now, for life
By fronteeer on
1996 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan
I recently bought a '96 Civic EX for commuting back and forth to and from work. For a 13-year-old car, I was surprised to find that all of the little extras (power windows, A/C, remote trunk/gas door releases, cruise, etc.) still worked great. I took the car to a friend's place (he's a mechanic by trade) and put it up on his hoist, and for a car that's been subjected to Canadian winters all its life, there's surprisingly little rust. I had a few things to change, such as the gas tank, fuel lines, a shifter assembly bushing and a CV boot, but these are all fairly common things for a car this age in Canada to need. It has no guts whatsoever, but it's comfortable, cheap on gas and looks great
Favorite Features
Everything you need is comfortably within reach; gas tank is on driver's side; trunk is surprisingly roomy; 60/40 rear seat; separate radio/cassette allows you to upgrade the cassette to CD/MP3 without removing factory head unit, illuminated Honda logo on trunk lid (might be aftermarket).
Suggested Improvements
Cruise control fluctuates as much as 20 Km/h, and you have to let it drop your speed by ~10 Km/h before it takes over and brings it back up to where you set it. Really, that's it.