1996 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
review
By chad on 05/12/08 00:32 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

This car so far has just been amazing. Simply amazing. I will give anyone a ride just to have the enjoyment of driving it.

96 civic
By nick on 05/07/08 08:16 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a 2nd owner at 67,000 miles in 1999. As of 2008, It's at 161,000. It's only not started once because of a dead battery. I have changed oil 3500 - 4000 miles, timing belt/water pump at 90k. The power windows have been on and off because of a corroded connection between the drivers door and the body of car. Radio sometimes gets loud probably because of dirty volume knob assembly. I have an exhaust leak that I smell when I start the car. In summary, 9 years excellence service with constant 30+ mpg at a reasonable price.

12 years and still going strong
By mark machula on 03/31/08 22:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I had this car given to me as a gift it had 28,000 kms at the time I have had it 3 years and 50,000 kms later and all I have done is change the oil every 5,000 kms new front brakes and tires. I am impressed it never breaks down. It is fun to drive and it has a lot of pep for an engine and car of it's size I am also impressed with its safety. I was in an accident last year with it. I hit another car head on driving 80 kmh and did not even suffer any injuries and my car was fixable. After that experience I feel very safe in my car. Over all I think Honda has built a great quality vehicle with this car.

Great Reliable Car
By John on 08/08/07 05:37 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I'm the second owner of this car. It has 180K miles on it and is running perfectly. Great gas milage with 30/35 city/highway and a very comfortable commuter vehicle. It is easy to maintain (oil changes, filters, fluids, plugs, etc.) and is very reliable.

No Car payment
By Arthur Harts on 04/06/07 12:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Overall, I've owned 3 other Honda civics. Nothing beats the 1996. It's a tank and keeps on going no matter what goes wrong with it.

LOVE my Civic
By Susan Rowland on 11/20/06 10:04 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This Civic is a great little car. Reliable. fuel efficient, well mannered, and likable. I can't rate it highly enough.

Made it to 183 K
By TDole on 11/13/06 17:42 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

And it was still running strong though there was an ominous noise emanating from deep in the engine. Also the tires were low on tread. Otherwise everything was fine, original clutch, no rust, good suspension, working AC, shiny paint. It was a great car and I miss it already. Would have bought a new civic but I needed a sturdy roof to carry sea kayaks. Ended up buying a Subaru Forester.

Honda envy
By hon-da-man on 07/27/06 11:26 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Got this one with 60k on it and now has 144k. Gas mileage can go up to 46 mpg if I really baby it, but gets 40 mpg now. No problems, except self induced ones. Wish I had gotten one with power windows and doorlocks, just for convenience.

10 years still going strong
By Smoke_Jaguar4 on 03/25/06 14:43 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new. Since then I've driven it cross-country 3 times (fully loaded with stuff), through every possible climate and condition you can imagine. 10 years, 115K miles, it has never let me down once. All it needs is oil changes every 3K and regular service every 15K miles. Avg 38 MPG, quick around town, can haul more than some SUVs. The only downside is interior noise is a bit loud and the seats are not the most supportive. Only now am I seriously considering buying an other car (Honda Fit?) since this one has performed admirably.

Good Reliable Car
By Tim J on 03/06/06 12:56 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Great car - has been pretty reliable, now at 135,000 miles. Have had to fix: Exhaust Manifold Muffler (both rust) Distributor/Rotor (wouldn't start) I would characterize the repairs to this car as minor, vs other cars I have owned or a similar age. From my own experience/other reviews it appears that exhaust rust is the only real fleet-wide problem with the 1996 civic. Fortunately these aren't terribly expensive to replace, vs the repairs I have had on other older cars.