Used 1996 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

New owner of a seasoned red DX cpe 5-spd
By coastie_in_va

1996 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I'd looked for a reliable gas sipper to give my Tacoma a rest and found a retired nurse selling her car. So, for $1,600 I had my civic with only 89,8XX miles! Yes, I know. So with some small parts from the junkyard, brakes, new tires, a little body work, paint job, and new timing belt/water pump I have my jewel. If I didn't have a car in the garage, I'd keep this one in it and only take it out in good weather, lol. So, great car for running around the DC area. If you can find one in good shape go for it!

Reliabiity, value, & mileage.

N/A

Will keep it for life!
By monkeybomb

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 civic 3 years ago. I've put the work into it that it needed replacing cv axles, ball joints, control arms etc... I attribute these things to previous owner errors. This has been the best car! It's small but not cramped. I have 3 kids and we all fit. Mine is a 5 speed standard transmission and I routinely get 37-39 combined MPG! I HAVE ~240,000 miles on this car with the original transmission, clutch and engine. She's still running strong and is well worth every penny I have into her. If taken care of properly, this car will go forever! Buying seals from auto parts stores will not fix any leakage problem; buy direct from dealer.

Gas mileage; handling, longevity, space, quality.

None. Very good for age etc

Great Value
By kerrym1

1996 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a few years ago and with regular maintenance, it has been a charm! I have loved having this car for the gas mileage, of which averaged 40mpg (lots of highway driving). I now have 322k miles on it and it seems to have past its prime and the engine is going. It has served me well and will definitely be buying another!!

Gas Mileage, the manual always felt pretty zippy to me, easy to work on.

Honda's Best
By cvilla

1996 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I bought it in 1999 used with over 60K miles. People laughed and thought I got ripped off! $8000 for a car with high mileage then. The years of gas at $3.75 came and those same people could not afford to go to the beach like I could because their BIG trucks used too much gas. Now 2009, the car has 221000 miles and still shows no signs of quitting. I didn't do all those scheduled maintenance. I haven't even changed the timing chain/belt. Just oil/ air filters, breaks and fluids! Oh and I had to replace CV boots. That's all. BEST car I've owned, and I've owned plenty. Audi,BMW, Mustang, Chevys, VW, Renault, Bronco etc. Honda could take a lesson from its past and redo it!

Long life. Great fuel economy. Easy to do many of the repairs and maintenance.

Interior does not last as well as the mechanical aspects of the car. Lacks power and comfort but I understand that it was not intended for that. HONDA should erect statues for the men and women who designed this Autmotive GEM! Bring it back again OLD SCHOOL style! Newer cars don't compare.

Great car!
By km

1996 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my civic in 1999 with 37,000 miles on it. We're in 2009 and it has 180,000 miles now. I have had no issues with it whatsoever, just the normal maintenance. It has been so reliable and dependable. Gas mileage is great! Honda knows what they're doing!

The moon roof is nice during hot days. Sound system is exceptional! Use to be able to fill up for $12 dollars and now with a little higher gas prices it's around $17 dollars.

Come back to the style of the 96' Civic.