Used 2004 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Dependable Taurus? not so much
By Luna

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 years ago, one other person had used it, it had about 15,000 miles on it but it was in very good condition. My parents told me it was a dependable car, and since I was 22 at the time I knew so little about cars and trusted their judgment, and knew I it would take me a while to get through college, so dependable seemed ideal. Even if I was already a little wary of Fords, and the color is awful. A year and a half after I bought it we paid $800 to fix a problem with the transmission. Now it appears the transmission may need fixed again, maybe even replaced. It has difficulty shifting gears, which can be nerve wracking when you are trying to get onto a freeway.

Favorite Features

I like the sun visors, I can usually adjust them well enough to block the sun but still see the road. I like the power locks, power windows, keyless entry. The chairs are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

please find a dependable transmission for a "dependable" car. I read through these reviews and I know mine is not the only one.

Best Station Wagon Ever
By Alex

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. It is very practical, comfortable, and smooth running. This car really shines on road trips because there is a lot of room for people and baggage. The roof rack is adjustable and comes in handy. A 6'2" tall person can sleep comfortably in the back when the seats are folded down

Favorite Features

Roominess. Comfort. versatility. Overall practicality

Suggested Improvements

Nothing needs improvement on this vehicle. It has everything I need and nothing I don't need

Oh My 2004
By MWOhio

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with just only 11 miles. I've only had to do regular maintenance for her. I've traveled from state to state and no problems. She's paid off now and I want to upgrade/customize her. I looked into buying a new Taurus, but I'd rather alter the current one I have and be payment free. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Very reliable and nice body style.

A very reliable car
By DTMAN

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

While there are some build quality issues, some whistling for example, but not intolerable, this Taurus has over 115K and I have put in a $250.00 coil (was cutting out) and tires, brakes and oil, that's it. Engine is super quiet, runs great and my mechanic says it's dry, no leaks, etc. I get 28+ mpg highway and about 19.5 city, great for a car this substantial My first Taurus, a 1987 performed much in the same way.

Favorite Features

Nice acceleration with DOHC V^, sporty look, nice finish

Suggested Improvements

better stereo, less whistles, door panels fell off on interior.

Super Car
By Photopros

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been the best car I have ever owned. Cold Air, Safe comfortable ride, good gas mileage. At 100,000 miles I had to put a new serpentine belt on it, along with a starter, but that is all so far. We use it every day for whatever we need. We are still happy with this car. So stable it saved us from a rollover on a rainy night, when we missed a turn, and had to make a sharp turn at 60 miles per hour. This is a super car. Going strong at 120,000

Favorite Features

Safe, reliable, runs good

Suggested Improvements

Make doors easier to shut