Used 2004 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

04 Taurus
By avenge69

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First off, this is our 3rd Taurus. All 3 have had no problems at all. You cannot beat this car for the money, reliability, features, safety, and comfort. This is a well made and safe car. Even after 2, we had tested out a new Camry and Altima. Once in the Taurus again it was just a better fit with a less "tinny" feel overall. Just being hit in this car down the whole driver's side without a scratch makes you appreciate the safety and the way the car held up. People can say what they want but this is a very good looking American car you can trust. We are on our 3rd for a reason. I guess the next car will be a Fusion or a Five Hundred.

Favorite Features

Console shifter between the bucket seats, Sunroof, style, ride, price, safety and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Could have had more horsepower, but the mileage is very good just the same.

Great for long drives
By Pat

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Taurus because it was a reliable used car. It is a good car so far. The longer I own it the more I like it. It is a big comfortable car with very good gas mileage. I get 29 mpg on the highway and have never got less than 22 mpg. Last winter I had a problem with water leaking into the passenger floor. It turned out to be shoddy workmanship from the factory. This is a good car but Ford needs to keep improving on reliability. They are catching up with the Japanese and I think they can surpass them if they choose to do so.

Favorite Features

It is beg roomy and comfortable and economical.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality and even more reliable,

Thanks to this car, 5 people survived a rollover crash....
By flymetotheisle

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am a big fan of this car...Nothing much to write except that it is because of this Ford Taurus SEL that our whole family is alive right now......We survived a rollover crash and all came out without a scratch...the car was considered totalled and with the safety features that Ford has installed in this vehicle I am alive right now to write about it...amazingly to say the least...Thank you....

A very reliable car
By DTMAN

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

While there are some build quality issues, some whistling for example, but not intolerable, this Taurus has over 115K and I have put in a $250.00 coil (was cutting out) and tires, brakes and oil, that's it. Engine is super quiet, runs great and my mechanic says it's dry, no leaks, etc. I get 28+ mpg highway and about 19.5 city, great for a car this substantial My first Taurus, a 1987 performed much in the same way.

Favorite Features

Nice acceleration with DOHC V^, sporty look, nice finish

Suggested Improvements

better stereo, less whistles, door panels fell off on interior.

Buyer Beware
By Connie

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 34,000 miles. Car was making small rattle noise with engine, dealership said was normal for this car. I trusted them & didn't buy extended warranty (bad experience in past). Thought it would last many miles before any problems. Two months later at 38,000 miles the transmission went out; stayed in shop for over a month and cost $2600.00 to rebuild. So if you hear noise check it out, don't trust dealership.

Favorite Features

Exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission.