Used 2004 Ford Taurus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

2004 Tardus
By bsr2

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2004 Taurus SE 3.0L. I paid $400 for it. Second owner. I put new rear brakes in myself for $124. I bought the car at 209000. It's now up to 306000, all highway km.

The windows quit working at one point, simple design flaw in the boot between car and drivers door. 10 min fix have windows working. This car will not stop. Still doesn't leak oil, shifts nice. The car is still tight.

It's alright for comfort and the road noise is rather quiet.

I doubt I'll buy another, but this car doesn't owe me a dime.

Dependable Taurus? not so much
By Luna

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 years ago, one other person had used it, it had about 15,000 miles on it but it was in very good condition. My parents told me it was a dependable car, and since I was 22 at the time I knew so little about cars and trusted their judgment, and knew I it would take me a while to get through college, so dependable seemed ideal. Even if I was already a little wary of Fords, and the color is awful. A year and a half after I bought it we paid $800 to fix a problem with the transmission. Now it appears the transmission may need fixed again, maybe even replaced. It has difficulty shifting gears, which can be nerve wracking when you are trying to get onto a freeway.

I like the sun visors, I can usually adjust them well enough to block the sun but still see the road. I like the power locks, power windows, keyless entry. The chairs are comfortable.

please find a dependable transmission for a "dependable" car. I read through these reviews and I know mine is not the only one.

Ford replace GM - mistake
By 8thstbridge

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Whistle noise from drivers side doors; worst gas mileage of any car I have owned *including a '67 GTO! 46K - just replaced STARTER. Water on floor mats; someone else had same problem - factory MISSED a windshield seal & dealer just over stuffed with silicone sealant. Poor side door design, R Side Passenger window regulator failure already and when going through drive throughs and any winter driving or in rain, when you put the window down - all the rain etc. comes in on power buttons at armrest. Windshield washer hoses to spray heads have both cracked and had to be replaced....

Gauges

Gas mileage, side door design with armrest not getting soaked in driving rain or bad weather and you have to put the window down for tolls, or pay at a drive through window.

COMFORT, FUEL, SNOW, CRASH
By aardvark

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I found it to be a very comfortable car,I'm 5 ft and could see well out back when reversing. I found it a little scary going on ramps on highways, at the posted speed, felt like car wanted to overturn. Bad gas consumption, 12-13 miles per gallon in town between 13-20 at best on highway. Car skidded very easily on snow. It had great tires, so I think car was just light in back. Had a horrific wreck and survived and I believe it was because car was built well and I wore my seatbelt. But I am thinking of buying another Taurus. I did love my car.

Functional Vehicle
By ottem82

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great point A to point B vehicle. There is nothing exciting or flashy about it, at the same time it is comfortable, gets decent mileage, and is quite reliable. I bought it with 108000 on it and currently have 146000. I change the oil, put gas in it and drive it. Mileage in everyday driving is 21-25. On the highway driving 80 with the AC on 27-29. Overall it was cheap to purchase and easy to own. If the transmission holds up I'm hoping to run it past 200000.

Nice 16" wheels, mpg, reliability, low price.

Speakers are cheap, I wish it had a manual like every other vehicle on the planet.