1995 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
money trap
By deryk on 04/19/08 05:21 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a year ago it had 120,000 miles on it since I got it I've had to replace all the struts all the brakes, rear main seal, radiator thermostat, water pump, a/c hose assym, power steering pump, and brake pedal switch. And the trans is starting to slip obscenely. I've put more into the car then I paid for it which was 700 dollars. I got it from an old lady who was the original owner and had it maintained by dealership. All in all this car sucks and I wish I had the money to get a truck.

I discovered why it was so cheap
By eandatoo on 04/12/08 18:05 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 1999 from a Toyota dealer as one of their trade-ins. It was only four years old at the time. Almost immediately, it started having problems. The electric fan for the radiater failed. The power steering leaked. The ignition failed. We had to replace the starter four times! The front struts are failing. That's just a few items among several others.This car has left us stranded several times. It cost us tons in rapairs, not to mention the missed work from the down time. Only later did we learn from different sources that the '95 was the worse year for the Taurus. Steer clear of this one, folks!

A Mid-Size Classic
By asylum111 on 02/12/08 13:22 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since Fall '95 when it had 12,500 miles on it. She'd been a program car and was still basically new. It now has 203,000 miles on it, and I wouldn't take anything for it. For an older V-6, the performance is excellent, both from a stop, and on the top end. Handling is not outstanding, but decent enough that I've had a lot of fun with it. Comfort is first- class, and I'd put it up against most any more expensive luxury car made in the mid-90s. Fuel economy is still good, and I get about 25 mpg in mixed driving. I have gotten low 32 or so on long trips, and all-city mpg is nothing to sneeze at at 19. She's had many minor problems, but nothing major.

Bit the Dust
By Texas Blondell on 04/16/07 13:01 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I never had a problem with this car breaking down. I had it checked every six months. The ABS kicked in when it was supposed to. This car was very reliable. enjoyed having this car. The disappointment was that even though being well maintained the major parts, i.e. engine and transmission just went with age. I have a good looking exterior car but it is worthless because the repairs are too costly.

Surprised
By Taurus on 04/05/07 06:51 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car as a beater. Havent heard good things about Taurus's, but think it might be due to the nondescript styling. Bought the car cheap with 104,000 miles. Everything works. Have taken it on two road trips so far, did great. Very pleased with my cheap purchase

Do Not Buy This Car!
By jemone2005 on 07/27/06 10:51 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My wife parents bought this car for us because our 1994 Cavalier(which was a good car) got wrecked and we were having hard times. I told them not to do it! They paid $3000 for it. The check engine light came on after my wife got it home that same day. Where do I begin with the problems? Broken speedometer, cloudy headlights, multiple emission problems (catalytic converter costs $450+installation in 2004!), bad transmission, poor gas mileage, cheaply made seals so something always leaks. I know it is 2006, so if you re looking for a cheap secondary car do not buy this one. The reason people are selling Tauruses for a song with very little miles is because they want to get it out of the driveway.

Money was worth it
By larieaux on 06/08/06 16:34 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I actually bought this car for $1300 from a gas station with lots of hidden problems with it. About a week after purchase my car wouldn't start because my starter had died then that same day after getting it fixed my car had to be towed again because I had blown fuses. After that the car was loud but it ran great. When i finally gathered up enough to get the exhaust work done I found out that I had no catalytic converters. This was after I replaced the rear struts and sway bar links and battery. Then I found out I had a nasty leak in the main transmission seal which possessed me to sell it after everything we had been through together. but over all that the car got me where I needed to be.

weak performance
By mad dog on 09/05/05 10:06 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Transmission always clunked or slipped. Rebuilt one is better. Small things always break; interior door handles, speedometer, power door locks, etc. Poor gas mileage and alignment needs adjusting annually.

Not bad but not good
By rambo76098 on 03/13/05 15:16 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car is a decent car but is not good at anything. It is somewhat comfortable but has bad gas milage, can go fast easily but takes a while, works usually but often will have many minor problems, drives ok but often rattles, shakes, vibrates, Braking system stinks as i have replaced entire rear system and it has broken again. Car has good trunk room but seats don't fold down. Transmision occassionally clunks and misses shifts, etc. Overall it's not a bad car, however usually a car has one thing it is good at; stopping, going, gas economy, comfort, quietness, or something else, but this car is just mediocre at all of those things.

She's been a good girl
By M.J. Snyder on 01/01/05 13:31 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my green '95 at the dealership I worked at in college. We went back and forth from Penn State a lot and she has always been good. I have 16" wheels from a 2002, and clear headlights from an LX, big improvement; she looks great, minimal problems (starter, radiator, little trim pieces). I lease a 2004 Sable but won't give up the '95, she handles great, decent power, and looks new as can be; it is one of the best looking '95's you'll see running around. Bought it with 45,000 miles from my uncle, now has about 85,000. I just put in good Pioneer Speakers and Sony Headunit, the stereo sounds better than my Sable. I LOVE HER!