Used 1995 Ford Taurus GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Most Helpful|
Best Ford
By iguanaman00

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This is my first car i have owned and i dont wanna ever let it go. the first thing bad that happend was the starter went out and then park.The heater core was out when i got it..and just recently my water pump went out but it is still running great today. when u get in the back of the car it sound like a Boat engine.lol. I love it and it is my baby.not really a ford man but i highly recomend this car.It also matters who was the first owner and how much maintence was kept up. Passes smog with flying colors. only one thing i dont like it the cassete player and the speakers dont bump like the new cars do. But when u are on the side of the rode listening to your 3000 pound raio.I will be cruzin

Favorite Features

love the kick back seats, and big trunk. Pretty good gas Millege for a V6

Suggested Improvements

Need better sound system

Poor Transmission Life Expectancy
By Pete

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 44,600 mi on it. At 77,000 MI The transmission failed completely (Trans fluid not burned or discolored) and without any warning. I was driving at a steady 45 MPH and when I stepped on the gas the engine rpm increased, but the car didn't accelerate. After coasting to the side of the road, I found that the car wouldn't move in any gear. I spent $2400.00 on towing, and a trans rebuild. I am not impressed with this car. It reminds me of the junk GM built in the 70's. The trans shop reported that the splines were stripped from the main shaft. Also, the gas gauge only works sometimes. My 93 Pontiac Transport has 294,100 MI and no major repairs ever needed. (still runs well).

Favorite Features

Once inside and underway, car is fairly comfortable. Air and heat work good.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability of trans and gas gauge need improvement. Location of parking brake release lever is almost inaccessible when driver sits in car-needs to be relocated. Height of door opening needs to be about 2 in. taller-car is difficult for a tall person to get into or out of.

Great Car
By jmjrpid7581

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car bank in 1997 had about 30,000 miles on it. Done the regular maintenance on the car even transmission oil change. The car still runs to this day. The car has 184,560 miles on it. Still the same transmission and engine never had trouble with any. The alternator got it tested it was ok but I still replaced it. also replaced the ac compressor and power steering pump due to the car getting high mileage and wear. Also have changed the front suspension and rear suspension . To me this is regular maintenance.

Favorite Features

The car is a great car. To me never had trouble with it. I just regular maintained the car.

Suggested Improvements

Well after 17 years some of the paint is coming off and a few rust spots are forming will get these rust spots maintained soon.

Ford TaurusGL 1995
By Calvin P Bear

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I've got 225,000 miles, and the car still runs smoothly, getting 27 mpg highway, which is mostly what I do. Over the years I've replaced most of what was attached to the engine: radiator, alternator, power steering pump, recharged AC. The worst was the paint job which flaked off in several places 5 years ago. Fortunately I can paint cars, and it's as shiny as a new car now. It's paid for, looks good, runs quietly and economically. I'm going to drive it until it falls apart.

Favorite Features

I bought it for the styling: When it first came out it was very refreshing and I still like it

Got lucky
By Pleased

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

It seems my Taurus will never die. 265,000 miles and going strong. Not a drop of oil burned or leaked. Have replaced some of the expected wear parts -usually before they broke down. always change oil at 3000 miles. replaced transmission at 230,000. some of the paint is beginning to fail and the interior plastic is becoming brittle and breaking.

Favorite Features

Very dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint,