Used 2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Good reliable truck for the money!
By Bill Slater

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very reliable truck I've owned 5 rangers in my lifetime when I grew up my family has owned them dad and grandfather
My recent ranger I've owned for over 3 years 2002 4x4 fx4 great truck great in the snow 4x4 works awesome I get poor fuel economy 13 city lucky if I get 17 highway but no need to complain no 4x4 midsize truck will get good fuel economy
I have 93000 miles on it besides brakes and replacing the shackle springs which my 93 ranger I had to replace common
Problem on all rangers if I ranked my truck I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10

4.0L FX4
By Greg

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used with 25,000 miles on it. Ford had a cruise control sensor recall that took over 7 months. I've had about 3 other sensors go out. Transfer case went out at 63,000. Driver side power lock is messing up. Right now it's just over 80,000 miles. I do not see how this truck is rated to max tow of 5600. I can notice a significant power loss just hauling a 16 ft. boat or my Polaris RZR on a 6x12 trailer.

Better fuel economy.

Gets you where you're going
By tvrug

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Ranger I've owned. The first was a '98 4.0 5-speed. After 175,000 miles of being reliable I bought another. The only complaint so far is that the brakes would fade when stopping quickly, especially with a load. Replaced stock brakes with EBC slotted rotors and EBC Green Stuff 7000 series pads. Stops like a sports car now. Will go through a lot when off road thanks to the limited slip rear differential. Great that the front axle is turning all the time. This eliminates the worry of tearing up a hub when on the trail.

I really like the power of the 4.0. The loss of the vacuum pulse hubs on the front are a great improvement.

I would love to see some better fuel mileage, but it is a big engine and with the front axle turning all the time, there is some extra drag.

Growing out of my truck
By M. Thoma

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My family is growing so unfortunately my truck has to as well. I have said many times that if I did not HAVE to get a new truck I would keep this until it falls apart. And at the rate things are going that could be a long time. I will go through 3 feet of snow while every other full size SUV is spinning their wheels. I have taken it through ditches, over curbs, across the country twice (both times fully loaded) with no problems. It is a truck and the best I have ever driven. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a serious, no frills, no luxury vehicle that will get the job done every time. P.S. I'm 6'4" and it fits me fine.

Reliability, dependability, X-Cab is awesome, good ground clearance in the 4x4, has pulled everything I've hooked it to so far.

Awesome Truck!
By Eric

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck about a year ago and I love it. It has the 4.0 liter sohc V6 engine which has plenty of power and is very reliable (except the alternator goes a little wacky sometimes - the plug going to the voltage regulator goes bad sometimes). But I still wish Ford would make the 4.6 liter v8 available for the Ranger.

Very nice looking truck, and very reliable.

Make the 4.6 liter available. Improve charging system.