1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Still Seems New
By David James C on 07/07/05 09:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned the 4x4 extended cab ranger since 2000, 2nd owner. This truck still seems new to me, even though it has 50,000 miles on it. The only problem is with the 4x4 electrical engagement. There is a problem that will cost me about $500 to fix. Dealer has to replace electrical box on transfer case. Choppy ride is only draw back. Otherwise fit and finish, interior and exterior are still great. Ford replaced the "Firestone roll over tires" for free. All in all I'm still happy with this truck, and it is a shame to see such low ratings. I've been through the new Ford pick-up plant in Dearborn - it is state of the art, and super-environmentally friendly!

Ranger
By clayton on 06/22/05 11:04 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Pretty reliable. Only had one instance of "down time" when a wire to the oil pan came off and truck wouldn't start. Cost $300 to fix because the local repairman charged $80 to say "I don't know". Took to dealership who fixed it in one morning. Only other problem is with ABS brake light coming on when it rains but ABS braking system is still working.

Long Term Review
By Todd on 06/19/05 22:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the first Ranger I've ever owned and has been reliable since new. It has lots of power with the 4.0 and manual trans. The 2500 tow rating is a little underrated as I've pulled a 5000 lb boat and trailer on occasion for a friend. It had a few quirks when it was new such as the squeaking clutch and clunking drive shaft but the dealer has fixed it with out repeat problems. My kids also love riding in the truck and hauling all kinds of stuff. I bought this truck after looking at all the others and couldn't find a better utility vehicle for my family's needs. It does seem to eat brakes quickly but they are very easy to replace. It has been a great truck and I will be sad when it has to go.

1999 Ford Ranger
By 1999 ranger on 03/05/05 12:22 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I'm really unhappy with this truck. Transmission went out at 37,000 miles when it was out of warrenty and cost me $2,500 to repair. I bought a new truck so I wouldn't have to incur expenses like this. Again at 89,000 miles I put yet another transmission in at $2,500. I'll never by another Ford and I'm stuck with this one till I can save up to replace it, shoveling out huge amounts of money to keep it running makes that hard to do. Beware of Ford trucks.

fool me once, shame on me, twice shame....
By not job one on 02/12/05 17:57 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

For a small truck (4.0L) the mileage is too low. Full size GMC small V8 is near the same. Like all Ford pickups the front brakes are junk. Rotors rusted apart in less than 60,000km, $100 CAD each to replace. The front wheel bearings BOTH went at 107,000Km. $800.00 CAD to replace! I've never known these bearings to fail in other trucks past 275,000km. GARBAGE! Just waiting for the $500 ball joints next. Don't buy this truck, get a Toyota instead.

My '99 Ranger
By nascarlar on 01/05/05 21:33 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

My '99 Ranger is my second Ford Ranger; my first one was a stick and Idrove it 110,000 miles with no major repair besides the general maintenance. Also never replaced the clutch. I am going on 5 years now with this one and no major repairs besides the general maintenace. Thank you Ford for the Ranger. i am looking at a Ford f-150 as my next purchase but the problem is I do not know when because the Ranger is still going strong.

A few problems
By Kyle Brashear on 12/27/04 01:24 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

First the engine; I haven't had any mechanical problems with the engine, it has 130,000 miles on it so far. I had to replace the bearings. The door ajar light used to stay on. The dome light has some issues. My speedometer cable currently isn't working. I get about 25 miles a gallon, with the 4 cylinder, which is pretty slow to me.

Useful truck
By Lkcalwood on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have used this truck both in town, in the woods and on long highway trips. My only complaint is the under powered engine. Even with a 5 speed, it lacks power at highway speeds over 70 which is why I am buying a new one with the bigger 4.0 engine. I recommend it to anyone not needing the added hauling capacity of a full size truck. It never stranded me and has had very little problems. Aside from oil changes and tires, I probably have spent less than $200 in total on repairs.

a ranger is a girl's best friend
By cjharris on 05/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love my Ranger!I travel the country and a dependable vehicle is what is delivered in this little truck.I make sure the oil is changed regular and the amount of driving i do, that could be once a month.I'm at 159,000 and the only problem is a squealing noise that only occurs once in a while.The engine is accessible making maintanence a do- it-selfers dream.spark plugs,fluid changes

Super Truck
By dferentz on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

After 213000 miles, she's still great. The only things done was oil changes, 2 sets of Tires, plugs and 2 sets of brakes, every thing else is orginal. I avg. about 23mpg.