1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Great Basic Cars
By humvee4000 on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Good Cheap Transportation. Never a single problem other then basic maintenance in 80k of driving.

Don't buy this truck
By Ford POS on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Purchased in 99 with 22k miles. While it has never broken down once, the smaller problems are really annoying. Interior lights will not go out. Truck will hardly run on 87 octane so we use 93 always. Has the small 4 banger which has 8 spark plugs, only 4 of which I can get to without removing the intake manifold. Rear suspension design is so poor that a moderate size bump will throw the truck into the other lane. Everyone I know with this truck has these same problems. Now at 104K miles, it needs new front wheel bearings. CD player quit at 35k. I don't understand why Edmunds has this truck in its "Top Ten" list.

Nothing nice
By Phet on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Check engine light on all the time. I have had it in twice hooked up to computers and they can't figure out why the engine light is on.

1997 Ford Ranger Pickup -4 cyl.
By SBF88 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

This has been a very reliable vehicle which is fun to drive and well built. The Ranger is well designed and usually relatively easy to work on. Changing spark plugs and the PCV valve on the 4 cylinder engine tends to be difficult.The clutch is responsive and durable. The standard transmission is easy to shift and predictable.Body and hardware quality are good, as is the layout of the instrument cluster. The only repairs I have had to do (both warranteed) were repair muffler heatshield (broken welds) and replace catalytic converter (corrosion). In general, I am happy with the vehicle and have had trouble-free driving since I bought it new.

A Ranger named Pokey
By specialtychem on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I had a bad problem with the heater blend door when I first purchased my Ranger, but I engineered a repair for it that saved me close to $600 over the dealer charge. That is the good thing about the Ranger: it is fairly easy for a competent shade tree mechanic to work on. The basic vehicle is fairly bullet- proof and simple. The gas mileage is only so-so considering the extremely low level of performance. You time this Ranger with a calendar, not a stopwatch! Other than the lack of power, I have really enjoyed my little Ranger. My son will begin to drive soon and it will make an ideal starter vehicle for him.

BIG BLUE DULL BUT RELIABLE
By TMR on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My desire was for high visibility and easy access. Couldn't afford an SUV so bought a basic Ford Ranger. I'm 6'3" and the cab and bench seat give the comfort of a full-size vehicle. Should have gotten speed control for longer drives (legroom is barely adequate for me) but Big Blue is a city truck and llong term comfort and fuel economy isn't a concern. The truck has had one major tune up and regular oil changes. Nothing else. The 97 2WD 4cyl Ranger is reportedly a reliable vehicle and has been so for me. No electrical issues. It's not been driven a lot but regularly and has never failed. Its' a solid and dependable basic set of wheels.

Dependable Truck
By Cherie on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Splash 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

No mechanical problems. The only repair since purchase is to replace the heating element.

WORST TRUCK EVER
By Mrp on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is the worst truck I've ever owned. Bought a used 1996 XL in 1998. I have had many problems ever since. Many electrical problems. I have been stranded roadside twice. Do not buy one

Great truck
By joehb on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab STX 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Best auto I have EVER owned.

Ford Ranger XLT a great truck!
By MikeZ on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned and I bought it 5 years old with 68,000 miles. The ride is great and the performance of the 4.0L V6 is excellent. A very refined vehicle, it feels more like a sports car than a pickup truck.