Used 2006 Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Great Truck for the price
By Tonman

2006 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this truck with only 25,000 miles on it for under 10,000. I love the 5 speed manual and sitting up high. I have owned Ford trucks all my life and will always by fords.

Favorite Features

Nice vinyl seats, the price, 5 speed manual,style of exterior

Suggested Improvements

air conditioning should be standard.

Bad Transmission 2006 F150
By at

At only 18 thousand miles and 3 months out of warranty, the transmission goes out on my 2006 F150 with a 6 cylinder-- Ford did not help with the $3000 transmission replacement either. The bad part is that it is slipping again-- I bought this new thinking it would last, I guess I should have kept my reliable 1988 GMC.

Good machine
By Coloradoguy

Though I have extremely low mileage on my truck, I have been very pleased with it overall. Suspension is very stiff, but that adds to payload capacity and handling, therefore worth it. The rack and pinion steering does require driving proficiency, so not for everyone (I like it). Mileage is better than average in real world use. Mostly city is about 18 and highway I have gotten 21.5 (in mountains), using 85 octane. The five speed manual is a bit on the stiff side, but feels very stout as one would expect for a truck transmission. CD Stereo has amazing sound quality.

Favorite Features

High profile for 2wd truck. Virtually no lean on cornering. CD stereo has exceptional sound quality. Fuel economy in actual use is very good. Stainless exhaust system. Brakes are awesome! Huge rotors front and rear and they work. Mine is red and looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother shifting 5spd (suprisingly it is made in Japan??). Armrest really needs storage area. Window crank placement stinks! Power of 6 is ok with 5 spd, but 4.2 liters could do more..

Unload both barrels
By possum

The steering is too light. The rack/pinion-power assisted steering is way overboard. It's almost unsafe to a point where I only drive this truck on out of town trips when I have to go. I drive class 8 trucks about 6000 miles a week, with my wife. Neither her or I choose to drive the Ford to work. It just sits in the garage waiting to be sold when it gets about 2 yrs old, so as we won't loose money on today's market. Our main means of transportation is still my old 2000 model Sonoma 4x4 with 74000 miles on it. Our next pick-up will be another Chevy or GMC.

Favorite Features

The Ford p/up has an unbelivable turning radius. It turns like its on rails. This is a pleasure to wheel around in tight parking lots and spaces.

Suggested Improvements

Driver and passenger comfort in the seating department on your standard p/up's. Also change the location of the manual window handles. Have you tried to use them for yourselves? Not everyone buys all the bells and whistles you know

Big Blue Truck
By steve

V6 auto is slow. Regular cab with a short bed is the most well-balanced look of any pickup. Ride with empty bed is too rough and bouncy over even small bumps. Since I drive it 99% of the time with no load, the current suspension setup is not my thing. Very smooth and quiet highway ride though. Never buy manual window and door locks again. It is a pain when going through tolls. Backup sensor is worth the money.

Favorite Features

Cargo door on regular cab. Strong and tough look.

Suggested Improvements

Fold-down center arm rest should have some built-in storage. Useless coin holder.