Used 2000 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Escort Sedan

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )

2000 Ford escort
By ggragg

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

Got this car for free from a buddy that left for the army, 157000 miles, getting about 33.5 mpg interstate, 28 in town. Runs great, looks good. Nice gift.

Don't expect over 100K miles out of this
By hopingsoul

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 700 miles on it and it performed very well with no problems until 115K miles the engine blew. I changed the oil every 3-4K miles, so I thought it would last. It had this most annoying vibration after about 50K miles and I was told it was the motor mounts. Then I started working 60 miles away and it performed fine, except for the vibrating. I was sitting in traffic for about 30 minutes, no over heating, no warning and it stalled and that was it, there's a hole in the engine. Other than poor life span, I thought it was a great car. The only thing changed was an alternator. A parts house told me these engines are notorious for blowing unexpectedly.

Favorite Features

Gas was great, I got 35 mpg on freeway, 25 city.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the vibration, make it last longer.

WOW! What A Beast I Have.
By J Riles

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I brought this car basically because I was excited in buying my first car. Anyways since then the car has been like a trusty companion. Every time I think it's gonna give out on me it just keeps kicking. Right now I'm in the 20's as far as mileage and she runs like when i first brought her. Great A to B car.

Favorite Features

None really, but I've been in an accident with a cab driver and walked away with scratches while his cab was devastated. (LOL!)

Suggested Improvements

Exterior stylish look and interior comfort as well!

Good Car
By Bodacious

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car was the first car I ever purchased. It is great for anyone who just needs to go from point A to point B. This car is great for single or family use. Its great on gas mileage and needs little maintenance. I bought it used with only 10,000 miles and have only replaced the tires, battery, and brake pads after hitting 50,000. This car shakes a lot while idle, though it isn't anything serious. It is so easy to drive as well. You can literally make turns with one hand since the car is so easy to maneuver.

Favorite Features

The stereo system for this car is nice. It is not flashy or anything, but it has a great sound system for internal use. The trunk is very spacious for the size.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower and higher seats. The seats are too comfortable, similar to a recliner. Also it should have an option to disable the seat belt and key warning sound. It is annoying if you have the keys in the car and just want to listen to the radio or have the door open.

A better roller skate
By jemjunior

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I needed a car in a hurry. I had good working relations with a local car rental dealer. Picked up the Escort with 32,000 miles for a good price. It has been a very reliable mode of transportation. My teenage daughter learned to drive in it. I still use it every day for back and forth to work. I plan on fixing it and driving it until the wheels fall off. I haven't had any trouble besides normal wear and tear items. Be advised - the Escort doesn't "DO" anything. It just starts up, drives, and comes home.

Favorite Features

Initial Cost. Parts cost and availability. It is a CHEAP Car to own and operate.

Suggested Improvements

Although it outperforms the original 'beetle' in most categories, it will never be an equal because this car has no character!