1998 Ford Crown Victoria - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:
Ford's best kept secret
By Wolfman on 04/30/06 21:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Interceptor after taking my father's 97 for a short drive. These cars are Ford's best kept secret. Performance is excellent, while still maintaining surprisingly good fuel economy driving 55 mph and keeping a light foot. I would have never given the Crown Victoria a second thought if it weren't for that one test drive. My car is a retired detective car, so I don't have the holes in the roof, or sliced up bumper of the push bar. I paid $3950 for mine, and only needed to buy tires. The car has been flawless since the day I drove it home.

P71 Police Package Vehicle
By crownvicp71 on 03/28/06 22:10 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria S 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1998 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in January 2006 and I love this car. It performs and handles very well, acceleration is very good, steering is tight and has remained so (well maintained). This vehicle also provides enough ground clearance to run over curbs and other small obstacles in a pinch. Drives well in the snow (I have Goodyear Eagle performance tires), and only needs chains for blizzard conditions going up hills (no joke). This car has the power when you need it, and it is a feature that I love. Police package lets in more noise, but it would be a great family car. We love it for trips, and it gets me everywhere. Great Canadian-American police car, and family car.

Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
By jeramy on 05/19/05 13:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

An overall great car. I've owned several over the years, this is the first with the handling/performance package. The difference is night and day, I won't buy another without it! Good gas mileage for a full size car, handles very well in the snow with traction control and snow tires. Adequate power to get going, excellent for traveling.

Crown Vic = Best Ever!
By Charles on 05/02/05 22:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

The Crown Vic rides like a dream and holds up like nothing. With good maintenance transmissions even last 100,000 K. This is unheard of in police vehicles. Excellent vehicle, excellent price, it truly is the "benchmark" that police vehicles are built to compete with.

1998 Crown Vic LX HPP
By Nells98Vic on 12/29/04 15:03 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Vic used about 5 years ago. The handling & performance package helps plant the car on the road and lets you drive a bit more aggressively. Nice to drive on the highway, and in the right weather, can be very peppy off the line. Gas mileage stinks, though many people get good numbers. I think I drive too little, as things do improve if I am on the highway a lot. 5 star crash rating, lots of room, peppier than you'd expect for a dinosaur of a car. Winter driving can be tricky, as this year's traction control will make the car stall if overloaded. Switch it off, get 4 snow tires, and use your brain. That's the secret of driving a RWD V8 in the winter.

Crown Vic Police Interceptor
By WIREDAWG on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Excellent vehicle. Fun to drive and gets many looks. On gas tank recall issue, remember that only 7 out of 800,000 police cars have blown up. All hit from behind while stopped by cars traveling 70+ mph. They are stopped on the side of the road alot more than I am. Also, this car has one of the best 50mph rear-end collision ratings (the actual crash test they do). I love this car. It has explosive pep and passing power, good gas mileage, and lots of room for my 6'4" frame. Had one problem with a blowout (old cracked tires), and another with a relay feeding the radiator fan. No other problems and lots of trips.

Built like tanks
By Don P. on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I do a lot of driving and this car is a salesman's dream with the great ride and huge trunk. After a 135,000 miles, the car still runs great with no noticeable decline in MPG. With maintenance, these cars should to 150K -200k+ miles. Also, don't bother with the digital display dash. A waste of money.

crown vic
By dwh on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

98 crown vic police intercepter very nice car but there is a flow with the intake which is plastic and leaks around thermo housing. ford replaces free under recall. i have a noisy squeel under braking, new rotors and pads wont fix the noise. it comes back and mechanics are dumbfumded about it. other than that is good car.

Exploding gas tanks
By jvaljon1 on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

We just found out a few months ago about Crown's propensity to explode and burn when in a car crash. Ford refuses to fix this now-well-known defect, unless the customer pays for the fix! We have a '98 Crown. We are both professional drivers, and I credit that with the fact that, on Texas roads, we have not yet become a casualty. But Ford's refusal to recall and fix this deadly gas tank defect (killed 2 cops that I know of, recently) has made a heretofore loyal Ford owner think very seriously about never buying another Ford. They built the car wrong, and it's their responsibility, not mine, to pay for this fix!!!

Safety First
By PCallahan on 02/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Except for a couple of initial problems that almost trigger the lemon law (although the car had a problem in the first month I believe the time to correct the problem reflects the quality of the dealership) I haven't had a problem with this vehicle. Steering boost is a little too high and doesn't provide good feedback to the driver.