1997 Ford Contour GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

GL Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Underrated car
By Wxdog on 11/01/09 12:02 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this four-banger ("Sport" version) when it was 3-years old. It's performed very well. Excellent mileage on the highway but just OK in the city. Really good handling was always noted by the critics and anyone who drives my car is surprised by its performance. It has a somewhat bland/odd exterior. Critics complained the legroom in the back wasn't enough. To me it's fine unless you have long legs. There is a persistent problem with a switch for the heater/AC control. It's a recall so it gets replaced when it breaks (every 3-years or so) for free. The timing belt broke at about 65,000 miles, a few miles beyond when the manual says to replace it. Be warned.

Fix Or Repair Daily
By JR on 10/30/09 07:59 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Ford - Drive One? I had a 1997 Ford Contour GL that was fun to drive and very fuel efficient during its time. I really took care of it as well. However, throughout my experience of driving it since August 1997, I went through a lot of adversity with it in the long run as far as recalls and parts replacement is concerned. I had a lot of stuff replaced in this car; it did cost x-amount of dollars for repairs. Other than that, the car ran pretty good during its time until a major oil leak occured; it was gonna cost thousand of dollars to fix. As a result, it was goodbye for me driving a Ford around March 2009. After that, I went out and bought a 2009 Honda Civic LX Sedan as a replacement.

12 years and still reliable
By mar on 03/25/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought it new in early 1998 and the first tune-up according to manual was after 10 years. Never had a problem with reliability. I drove it up and down the east coast and into Canada and I must write that it is indeed reliable and low maintenance. The color looks like it is just 3 years old. I am proud of the 97 Ford Contour After 10 years, it still has no rust and the paint is still shiny considering the it is never garaged.

Best ever
By Nicole Lake on 01/11/09 20:10 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used with 125K and I have to say it's been the best car I have ever had. Yes it does have the small minor problems such as leaking in the trunk, and the cupholder. This car gets me to school, work, and through my daily task. This is my first car but there was no way I got robbed with it. I definitley gets up and go when you need it too. Gas mileage is great in this car, I get about 28 mpg to 32mpg. Overall the best car ever.

I love this car
By New Contour on 08/13/08 23:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new for my wife and it lasted 11 years and 140,000 miles and it's still going. Great while the kids were young but too small now. Front seats are suprisingly comfortable for a small car. I wish they still made them because this would be great for my kids when they become new drivers.

Ford Folly
By PimpinGT on 03/15/08 21:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car seems to go through front tires at an unbelievable rate. The damn cup holders are junk, one broke and the other one is extremely hard to get up (cheap plastic interior). The next problem was that its battery light would come on whenever I accelerated. Then it died altogether. Finally, every time that I would stop at a stop sign or stoplight, the car sounded like it was going to stall. I wouldn't recommend a ford to anyone for any reason except to put it in a demo derby (hell, it may come out running better).

Good yet anoying
By kurenai07 on 10/18/07 18:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

A decent car. Nothing too special about it. Drives and handles well. And the fronts seats are pretty comfy.

Pleasantly surprised and thankful
By T.Amundson on 02/21/07 12:22 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used with low mileage almost ten years ago. I have not had one problem with it and have experienced only normal wear and tear. The car has been serviced regularly, consistent oil changes and new tires when necessary. It's great on trips being comfortable and reliable. At present it has a little over 100,000 miles on it and could go for another 50 to 60,000 miles. Car does need some cosmetic work but very little. Interior in excellent condition with no tears or cuts. Dashboard still in pristine condition as is the stereo (tape deck only). In short it has served me well...want to sell for automatic due to broken arm and age.

age and comfort
By frank hart on 07/14/06 14:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car from a private party with 27000+ miles August 2005; the car is clean inside and out, no dents or rust. Problem being our age (70-75), we need a better riding car. This make and size is perfect for a younger person.

Best car I ever owned
By Handy Andy on 10/26/05 15:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and being a person that prefers GM I was skeptical. However, this has turned-out to be the best I've ever owned. It has excellent "giddy-up-n-go", 28+ mpg hwy with a/c, easy to drive, and plain satisfies all of my expectations of what a car of this type should be. It is regrettable that I am forced to get rid of it, but dire financial problems forces me to.