Used 2009 Dodge Journey SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Most Helpful|
Brake problems
By cynthia

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the journey r/t model in August of 09. At 12,000 mile they had to replace the front rotors and pads. Just took it back in at 16,000 mile they had to replace the fronts again and now the backs they say are shot. Had it in on several occasions before for electrical problems. Everything is fine otherwise and the r/t model is much better but the brake problems are getting to be too much. There is a class action law suit against Dodge for the brake problems.

Favorite Features

The car handles great. Has all the features and is great for the grand kids

Suggested Improvements

Put the truck brakes on this car and it would be 100 per cent better. And give a 20,000 mile warranty on them not 12,000

Great Value for the Price
By DodgeMan

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Compared to Equinox, Acadia, Edge, Flex this is a great vehicle for the price. Overall it's a great utility vehicle. Tows 3500 lbs, has a ton of features and storage. It looks cooler than a van and has a peppy engine. This vehicle has good some bad reviews for being under powered. First off if you are going to by a cross over that seats 6, why would you buy it with a 4 cylinder engine? I have a Chevy Cobalt (which I love) that is 1/2 the size that has a 4 cylinder. Have common sense. Brake issues have also been sited as a common problem. Ride 10' from the car in front of you and the brakes will go out in 10,000 miles. Have common sense. I love the Journey. I recommend it.

Favorite Features

Under seat lighting, built in dash cooler, built in storage under seats. Lots of features for the price. Life time power train warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Include a complete factory towing package with factory installed hitch, receiver and harness. Better tire pressure monitoring system. Eliminate the helicopter sounding wind nose when the rear windows are done. Get rid of the light cloth on the interior. This is a family vehicle kids, dogs, etc.

2009 Dodge Journey SXT AWD is crap
By blois16

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey SXT AWD in May 2009. My husband had been told he would be shipping out to Afghanistan the following year and wanted me in a new AWD vehicle. What a wrong decision that was. New brakes at 26,000 miles, transmission leak, shuddering, which took 3-4 times to repair. I was told #5 cylinder was missing, didn't know why. Replaced EGR valve, had to take back in because the replacement was faulty. Power transfer unit went out, got it fixed, under warranty, no problem. Picked it up, transmission problems. They said water in transmission and Chrysler won't fix. 5-6 k to do this. What a piece of crap. Will get rid of this a.s.a.p.

Favorite Features

I did like the size of the vehicle and the interior design was to my liking.

Suggested Improvements

Water in transmission caused by water entering a vent or something like that, after driving through a puddle? What is the purpose of having AWD if it can't handle normal Michigan road conditions. Redesign transmission, please.

BIG MISTAKE!!! Done with Dodge!!!
By bargomommy

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Check engine light came on within a week of buying this piece of junk! Both O2 sensors needed replaced. Then the alternator to a dump and needed replaced! When you go to accelerate, you don't know whether it's going to go or be sluggish and need to push down harder on the gas. N matter how many times I clean it, it is a dust collector. The gas mileage has never been what was stated. Then there are the recalls. We are trading this in as soon as we get our taxes and never looking back!!! I will never buy a Dodge again!!!

expensive choice
By jc2009

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had squeaking in my brakes from the first week. My transmission jerks and have had it checked repeatedly. Car hops when turning. It floats and is hard to control on the freeway. It leaked so bad that the back floor compartments were full of water, the carpets molded and they had to glue all the seams. They were so cheap they left the removable carpets instead of replacing them although the Journey logo came off due to water damage. Now my front brakes are metal to metal after a week ago of being told they were safe . 600-700 to do the brakes . Dodge needs to recall these for wiring, the brakes and the leaks. I will never buy a dodge again.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Recall the brakes, the seams for leaks, the computer radio that short out, the wiring that shorts out and the transmission that jerks. The fixed the hopping recall but it still does it.