1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Great dependable van
By dave03886 on 03/05/11 14:36 PM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

I've had this Van for over 6 years, bought it with 108 K miles from the first owner, it now has 190K. The transmission was replaced under factory warranty at 90 K. I am very fussy with oil changes, transmission service and tune-up, other than common wear out and maintenance issues this van has treated me very well. The 3.8 L is rare for a 1994, and the transmission is a 4sp auto, with cooler as the vehicle had a towing package option from the factory. The galvanized body was a big plus for me when I bought it. I will drive this van until I need to spend $1000 at one time. I would probably only get 300-400 trade in on another used vehicle and that new used car could be a lemon.

Solid van served us well for 11 years
By Steve on 12/07/07 11:51 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Bought a loaded 3.8L LE 2 years used, drove the tar out of it w/the family, then a daily driver to work for a few years, now my teenage son has been driving it for 1.5 years. Will finally sadly part with it, as my son upgrades. Has been a real workhorse, generally very reliable, always started and ran smooth and quiet to this day. Had to rebuild tranny at 70K (who didn't?), but tranny still good today at 225K miles. AC went out about a year ago. Otherwise, very little went wrong. Surprised by other reviews dinging this vehicle, as they were all submitted when the car was 10 years old! What do you expect? Most other 10yo cars are in the junkyard or some canal somewhere by now.

Our Grand Caravan
By Cerberus1949 on 11/08/05 12:15 PM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

This is the best vehicle I've purchased new, and I started buying new vehicles in 1971. I've never had a vehicle remain in such top condition after so many driving miles. This vehicle has always been there when we needed it, and performed above expectation.

Nebs Review
By Robert Nebelsick on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

This vehicle has preformed very good for me during my ownership.

My 94 Dodge Caravan Experiences
By Bill Matthews on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

My 1994 Dodge LE Caravan has had many major repairs made, fortunately all under the extended warranty. They were; Air cond. evaporator replaced for corrosion,engine mounts replaced twice, transmission overhauled, both front CV axles replaced 2 to 3 times due to vibation at 45-55 mph. Also the hood and roof paint peeled and had to be repainted. All of these under 60,000 miles. Then the vibration reoccured at 45-65 mph, and dealer said not CV axils fault. Tires replaced and balanced, aligned, 2 wheels replaced, all of no help, they (the dealer) could never find the cause. So I will never buy another Dodge.

Solid used van
By espokane on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

We didn't want a big payment, and went with a used Grand Voyager. With a 3- year loan and our trade, the payment was only $116. At that payment, occasional repairs wouldn't be a big deal. The van has been very reliable, and with the exception of a problem with the AC system (still not fixed-- plan to trade up in the spring), no problems have come up. The mileage is about 16 average, which I wish were higher.

I'll never buy another Dodge
By George G on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Back hatch release stopped working at 40,000 km, Steering rack and Head Gasket replaced at 90,000 km; New tranny at 112,000 km. Radio stopped working at 120,000 km. Paint peeling badly on the roof (you can rinse it off with a garden hose!) I wish Honda had sold minivans back in 1995!

Served me well
By tls on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

A good van. I really liked it. Roomy, comfortable. I had the Grand Caravan. Amazing how much stuff I could load when I removed the seats. Better than renting a small van from Ryder. Minor transmission problem at 80k. Replaced seals about $450. Seems hard to stop, especially in wet weather. I should have ordered ABS and saved myself many close calls. Unfortunately van was stolen and totaled, otherwise I would never sell it.

Give me a Caravan....
By Penger5 on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

We've really enjoyed this vehicle. We bought it used with about 75,000 miles on it. We've put about 76,000 more on it. We did have some problem with the electrical wiring--a small fire in the door and a squirrel ate the electrical harness--but, other than that, repairs have been pretty minor. Unlike many others we have not (touch wood) had to rebuild the transmission. The transmission is a little temperamental (you would be too with 151,000 miles on you!) but I've found that starting gently from a stop helps solves the problem. My mechanic says that there is a lot of weight that it needs to pull, so being gentle on the start from a stop will stand you in good stead.