2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (68 reviews )
Only 250 mpg
By liftaddict on 02/18/12 19:25 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Traded in a 2010 german turbo diesel which only got 40mg for this. Electric motor with generator is way faster and more economical. My wife's commute is just over 40 mi round trip and the elevation gain is about 750 ft. She ends up using gas the last few miles. But the performance is better than most cars we have owned. Fit and finish are excellent . The electric motor responds intantly not like the other hybrids. This is a real car with the advantage of being able to take advantage of our solar panels.

Punchy acceleration and rides as smooth as butter
By spazmataz on 02/16/12 22:55 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is fantastic! -- It's as roomy as an entry level Mercedes Benz, zips around city streets like a sports car, handles like a BMW and is quieter than a Rolls Royce. When I first saw a Volt in person, I found it much larger than I thought. Don't let certain pundits fool you. In truth, the Chevy Volt is roughly the same size as a 2012 Mercedes-Benz C250 Luxury Sedan, both inside and out (compare specs). The Volt only seats 4, but in my case that's fine. The interior is sleek and comfortable, the exterior far nicer looking than other plug-ins in the same price range, and the 17" aluminum rims look great. According to my odometer, so far I've driven 1325 miles on 0.2 gallons of gas.

Volt = Economical Commuter Entertainment
By 2012knl on 01/28/12 15:44 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've owned a 2012 Volt for just over 2 months now and have put 6100 miles on it. I spend a ton of time in the car as I drive approximately 140 miles per day for work. Purchased the car due to the economical benefits and am extremely pleased with many other aspects of the car as well. I've averaged just over 55 MPG total- which is above my expectations. On the weekends- the car is our family transport. With 2 kids- we are constantly coming and going to school events, sports, plays, dance, ect. During the times we're driving around town- we use 0 gas. Costs approx. $1 to charge overnight - that's it. Come home and plug it in. We've saved aprox. $350/month driving this car! Pays for itself!

I Love My Volt - 2012
By ampeater on 01/26/12 11:17 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This is the best car I have ever owned. It looks good, handles well and is incredibly inexpensive to drive. 6,500 miles and 41 gallons of gas - only because I drove it to FL from MI. 42.5 mpg on the way down using gas. I drive it typically under 30 miles per day and usually have 39-40 miles of battery available when I start in the morning. So unless I need to go more than 40 miles, I don't use any gas. I plug the car into my 110v house system at 8:00 at night and it's fully charged in 10 hrs (6 am). The price of the car is too high unless the tax rebate continues, but I plan to keep it as long as I can (8-10 yrs).

Beyond Electric
By gaulfinger on 01/25/12 19:12 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I like my tag line better than Chevy's "More Car than Electric" - it says it all so much more succinctly. I've always enjoyed the smooth and quiet driving experience of an electric car. Volt delivers that in spades. It also goes beyond a mere e-car by having range extending gas for when the battery runs low. So it's the best of both worlds. Even better, the transition from E to G is so smooth - way better than other hybrids I've owned or driven. The total package is so well thought out - truly amazing.

Like no other car I've ever driven...
By ejecea on 01/12/12 20:54 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have owned Volt #3219 since July 2011 and cannot say enough about it. It is the very definition of under promise/over deliver. I drove away in my Volt without previously having a test drive and I was immediately shocked at the sheer power and torque. It far surpassed my expectations. At 42 years old, I've driven everything from a modified 69 Camero to a $250,000.00 Porsche GT2, and I can say that the Volt is just as much FUN to drive! Really! The instant torque is addictive. While driving it home through Wyoming, I simply couldn't keep the car under 90 mph. OH Yeah... the Bose sound system totally ROCKS, and the heater (which really matters in Montana) is awesome.

Fantastic machine - 2500 miles and smiling!
By jeffthedccguy on 01/11/12 20:10 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Traded a 2011 Prius for the 2012 Volt and couldn't be happier with my decision. While I liked the Prius and would recommend the car in an instant, it does not have the driving dynamics or the fit and finish of the Volt. It's also not the most attractive car, whereas I find the Volt to be reasonably good looking. The Volt is faster than the numbers suggest, is quieter at normal commuting speeds than anything else on four wheels, has tons of tech that works quite well, and is actually fun to drive (the Prius never was). Even without the tax credit this car represents the future of automotive travel today and has no equal, so in my opinion the asking price is reasonable and the value solid.

High Praise for Volt
By volt_me on 01/07/12 21:34 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have only had my Volt for a couple weeks so far, but have had a wonderful time driving it and passing the gas station on by. The fit and finish is great. The acceleration is great, seems to do even better than my mustang did because of the instant torque.

Everything I expected and more
By nyvolt on 01/06/12 21:58 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Not using gas makes me happy. Not being limited by the battery makes the car practical. The car does exactly what GM says it will do.

Best Vehicle I have ever owned.
By ghendrick456 on 01/06/12 16:51 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

My 2012 Chevy Volt is by far the best car I have ever owned. (And I have owned 10 new cars in my life.) This vehicle has impressed me in so many ways. nothing can compare with the smoothness, quiet refined ride and tight responsive handling. The acceleration is very satisfying and completely free of shifting. It's just what you wish every car could do. I especially like the fact that I can drive most of my trips without using a drop of gasoline while maintaining the flexibility to do a cross country drive on gas if I need to. (Seems like no other car offers this flexibility.) Most days I am spending less than 30 cents to recharge. (And I have the electric bills to prove it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback in VA is:

$120 per month*