Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (72 reviews )

Middle East Oil=0; USA=100!!!
By dsinned

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

If you frequently drive short distances and/or have a minimal commute, this car is a definite WINNER!!! You may NEVER need to fill up on gas again! Technologically, the Volt is leading edge state of the art. Charging the high tech battery is effortless. I heard the Volt's Lithium Ion battery can be recharged 5000 times before wearing it out; if once per day, every day of the year, that means this battery should last at least 13 years. However, GM provides a 15year/150k warranty for good measure! Tax incentives are going fast. It is easy to get over sticker shock because a Chevy Volt is an OUTSTANDING investment!!!

Favorite Features

EV (electric vehicle) driving mode only (for short distances between charges) gets insanely good mileage at a fraction of the cost of most all other cars on the road. Also, the car is super quiet even when the gas generator is being used for extended distances. This car and the feedback from the i/p and center console displays will make almost anyone a better driver with respect to energy conservation. RemoteLink (via Onstar - 3 yrs for free) mobile phone app is phenomenal.

Suggested Improvements

Moon roof option. At least some traditional engine gauges, e.g. coolant temp, battery voltage(s), etc, would be nice to have integrated into a selectable digital readout display on the i/p. Also, it would be nice to have 220V charging station as a dealer installed option.

After one month...
By mwfromva75

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I figured I would wait a little while before I commented on this car. I can not say enough how good it feels to drive this car right past every gas station where I used to keep such a close eye at the prices of gas. Now I don't care! I have yet to use one drop of gas, 500 miles all on electricity! It's a wonderful feeling! The car itself is nice! It rides VERY well for a small car and it is super quiet! If you're thinking about this car I advise you to go drive one - you will find it hard not to buy it after one drive! It's THAT impressive!

Favorite Features

Electricity, ride quality, buttons!, smooth acceleration

Suggested Improvements

power seats, more range on electric!

I LOVE my Volt
By bdc1963

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is so much fun to drive. I have 100% renewable electricity so "fueling" the car is truly environmentally friendly and what little I spend to do so stays in America. This car is very smooth and quiet with good handling and braking.

Favorite Features

Driving past the gas station and not having to stop. Smooth, quiet electric drive.

Suggested Improvements

Extended electric range Lower price

2 months/1600 miles- 10 gallons of gas- lots of fun
By markgrogers

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have had this car for two months now and driven nearly 1600 miles in it. Not a single squeak, rattle or defect. I love the hatchback- plenty of room when rear seats are folded. Onstar works greatand its FREE for 3 years. Satellite radio is a blast. Great handling, very comfortable ride. I have spent only about $40 in gas for two months (and still have 5 gallons in the tank). Averaging more than 110 MPG when combining battery & gas usage (see voltstats.net for real world stats of more than 1500 Volts posted by owners-not by GM- many are doing better than me on mileage). Routinely averaging 45-50 miles on battery when driving carefully. Not a home run- a Grand Slam!

Favorite Features

Great front leg room and front seats. Back seats OK, but not much leg room if front seats are all the way back. I, for one, LOVE the touch controls as dual LCD screens. Get the back-up camera/proximity sensors for the best visibility. Great ride, handles very well (has standard traction control), smooth acceleration, QUIET when on battery, good auto climate controls, decent brakes, using "Low" gear allows you to slow car without braking. Pass gas stations with a smile. Zero "range anxiety"- go as far as the batteries will take you, then switch seamlessly to gas engine "generator".

Suggested Improvements

More rear seat legroom would be nice. Roof line is really low fir aerodynamics, but I am getting used to it I would like to see a "wagon" style model for more cargo space. Honestly, there is not much to dislike- drive one yourself and see.

Best car ever owned
By cody1943

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

7 weeks, 1458 miles, 2/10s of a gallon of gas and $26.41 elect cost. If you drive less than 50 miles a day, wow what a great car. Winter may prove to be a challenge. Fun, fast and cheap to drive. Never in my life time did I think I would see a car that got over 100 + miles per gallon. Chevy hit a home run with this car. Did I mention FUN. Its expensive, but what other car can you get some of your money back buy not stopping at the gas station 4-6 times a month at 50 to 60 bucks a time.

Favorite Features

Center monitor, digital speedometer, leather, smooth transmission with no delays. Volt stats.com, 3 years onstar, xm radio. 0 % financing, now .09%.

Suggested Improvements

Make 5 passengerr.