2000 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
My Wolf
By obergeil on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The only problem I've had with my little S-10 is that on two occasions my foot has slipped under the gas pedal and then knocked it from underneath as I pulled my foot back up. This has resulted in the accelerator cable coming free from the gas pedal. I'm not sure who came up with the design for this assemblage but it seems flawed and potentially dangerous.

2000 S10
By DOOWRAH on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have only owned this truck for about three months. The truck had 44000 miles when I bought it and I have had to replace many "expensive" parts. Guess GM doesnt build to last. Also the real kicker is this truck has the 4L60E automatic transmission which is total JUNK! It needs to be rebuilt and after doing research on this trans I find that GM has known abouth this problem since 1996 but has failed to improve the design if this trans. So at or about 40000 to 60000 miles you can plan on rebuilding this junk transmission. Guess I would be happier if I didn't have to look forward to paying 1800.00 for a trans rebulid. Start saveing OR BUY A STICK SHIFT.

S-10 needs some recalls
By th3006 on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my truck in Oct.2002 The dealer was very unhelpful once I signed the papers. I am a diehard chevy fan but I have had a couple of problems. The problems I have had are: the secondary air injection pump went at 40k and the dealers I talked to said they have seen alot of these come in to replace. The other problem is the seat recline handle broke off, G.M. should have known better to use potmetal to hold the handle on. It is CHEAP!! I feel that G.M. should be talking with the dealerships more to fix these common problems(recalls).Cheaper is not always better and the competition is looking better all the time when these situations arise.

Looks can be deceiving
By fatmawyer on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Xtreme 2dr Extended Cab SB

Looks very sporty at the dealer, but not so on the road. The only possibility for performance is with the v6 setup and the manual transmission. I had the 4 with automatic. 'Xtreme'ly poor performance. The build quality was horrible. The rotors went bad after 20k miles, the transmission needed an overhaul after 30k, and at 56k the truck was having trouble starting. I was very disappointed and after trading in the truck (after ENORMOUS depreciation-over 60% of original value in 2.5 years and 56k miles) and purchasing japanese, I will never buy american again, the quality just doesn't exist.

Eh....
By volcomfreak on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Xtreme 2dr Regular Cab SB

All in all, I would *not* buy this truck again if I had the chocie. The wheels are DANGEROUS. I've hydroplaned hardcore 2 times already, the second one resulting in the near destruction of my truck and my life. They are constantly requiring my attention with air. The suspension is very fun though, taking curves at 90mph+ totally works with this little truck. The 2.2L in heat is absolutley horrid. The engine will make a thunderous roaring noise when accelerating from a complete stop...the engine sounds like it'll explode sometimes.

Nice Truck
By N2deeptn on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab SB

Got a 3 year lease. I have never had to put it in the shop for anything. Nothing has been replaced in 3 years of daily driving, not even the tires.

Great small 4X4
By BobnSue on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This S-10 LS has been a pleasure to own... especially after previously owning a Nissan Pathfinder. The only problem in over two years of driving this S-10 has been an occasion oil drip. The dealer replaced some gaskets under warranty, but it still dripps once in awhile. The 4X4's suspension is stiff so the ride is a bit rough on bumpy roads. The bucket seats could also use some better padding. It's a great winter vehicle for our snow in the western NY area!

Trustworthy, but...
By Jesus lover on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have had no reliability issues with this little gal. My 4X4 regular cab does the point a to point b shuffle post haste, managingaround 29 mpg on the highway. The catalytic converter or the muffler is making a rattly noisy that makes the truck sound a bit like a disel at certain r.p.m.s. Aslo there was a clang in the driveline that the dealer could never officially fix, however id has been quieted witha drive shaft isolatorand has never caused any drivability issues.

My Xtreme
By Knowklew on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Xtreme 2dr Extended Cab SB

My Xtreme has been a very fun truck to drive and has a big opening for aftermarket add-ons which i dropped plenty of money into. The ride in my truck is comfortable if you like the sporty bumpy pick up truck style but i didnt buy my Xtreme for the purpose of comfort. The handling on my truck, along with the new tires i installed, allows me to keep up with a lot of more expensive sports cars that. The one downside of my truck is the fuel economy, it sucks literally. I did opt for the V6 and the automatic in my truck and i must say that with a few bolt-ons my truck is a rocket.

THE BEST LITTLE TRUCK IN TEXAS
By D P III on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I'm over six foot tall and the low seating that some may complain about is a plus for tall people. The funnest truck to drive. Guages are positioned nicely and the worst gas mileage I have received from my S-10 is 19mpg for city driving. That's awesome.