Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Above Average Repair Costs at 78,000 mi
By Coleman

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have spent over $4400 in repairs in '05/'06 - 78,000- 91,000 miles - upper & lower ball joints, wheel bearings, oxygen sensor, oil cooler lines, shocks, brakes, belts, and tune- up. There is a moisture problem with the rotor cap screen which affects performance. The plastic club door latch broke off at 60,000 ($145 repair) and the passenger seat recliner arm busted ($245 repair).The current Consumer Report lists the S10 on the Worst Car List. I spend over $300 per month on gas for work. I am going broke owning this vehicle but the mechanics keep telling me "it's a good truck." I have not yet hit 100,000 miles and am worried about what's ahead. Anyone out there have similar stories?

I like the exterior design, color, overall size, visibility and 4WD on the fly.

Replace cheap plastic parts that break easily and rattle when driving. Improve cooler line prob, wheel bearing and oxygen sensor issue

2000 Zr2 2000 Problems
By 2000zr2 2000problems

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

So much for built like a rock. This truck has been nothing but problems. The front end suspension can not handle the 31 inch tires. Spending 200- 300 bucks just to pass a sticker every year is stupid. Weak Transmision. Starting to slip at 80,000. Interior rattles like it is going to fall apart. Bad third door hinge design. I have had it fixed 3 times at a dealer and it still rattles a month later. I love the push 4x4 controls. Body Control Mod. went, 700 bucks fixed that problem. Great exterior looks. Paint chips easy. Gas gauge stoped at 65,000.

Vortex 4.3 V6. Styling. Towing power( pulled my buddys 4x4 Ranger 3 miles back to his house) Comfy seats.

Front end suspension. Bad transmision. Third door hinges are cheap and annoying. Stereo is weak.

Stephen review
By Stephen

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have driven this vehicle throughout Germany. I love the truck. It has been 100% reliable. Problems I had were as follows: The recline handles on both seats broke before 30000 miles becuase of substandard metal used where they scew onto. The truck wants to slide easy and traction is not good, despite the tires. After 140,000 I still don't burn oil, I am religious on changes. Also the brakes tend to wear out fast on the front and rotors warp quick. (All GMs seem to do this) I love the body style it is timeless and the 4.3 is a great little engine, but I really dislike the plastic coolant outlet valve on the radiator. Apart from these things shes done me great. Reliable as hell. Wind noise is bad.

I like the neat ness of the body design, the engine and transmission compliment each outher in shifting and power. It's easy to service the vehicle and the steering is perfect for driving. She rides nice and takes corners well.

Cut down on the wind noise. Build better seat handles. The hose on my truck from the coolant overflow caught fire after I washed the engine and it shorted with the right side ABS front bumper sensor harness,was a freak accident I hope. The door hinges need redesigned as door hangs and roller wears.

3rd and LAST S-10
By Carlos

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

First 2 S-10s I owned were 4-cylinder 2-wheel drive. Good bang for the buck little truck, but don't expect more than 100,000 miles out of them. The last one is a 4.3 4x4. Fun truck, good power and handling, great 4-wheel drive, But wheel cylinders and ball joints are junk and need to be replaced frequently, very expensive. I have replaced all the wheel cylinders at least once at $500 each. I replace at least two ball joints every year. Other front suspension problems as well. The 100,000 mile coolant needs to be changed at 60,000 miles or your heater core will get clogged and heat will stop working. Gas gauge stopped working in last two S10s, too expensive to fix.

Looks, handling, power, push button 4x4.

Wheel cylinders, ball joints, front suspension, coolant, fuel gauge...junk!

S-10
By jacgeo5153

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Replaced tie-rod, upper & lower ball joints (had no grease fittings), rusted fuel line (garage kept), all before the truck had 50,000 miles. It's a shame you have to payout over $2,000 for these types of repairs and you're still making payments! I've heard other similar problems with these types of GM vehicles from friends and neighbors and I got about the same (that's typical) response from most of them. Absolutely terrible gas mileage for a small truck. Just terrible! Extremely rough riding vehicle. (Teddy Roosevelt would have liked it). I don't care to drive it and I can't wait to get a new one.

I can honestly say that I have no favorite features.

My review would be obvious for my suggestions. I always had pride in (made in USA) products, and at age 54, I never purchased a vehicle that was not made in America. My next vehicle will have another name besides Ford, GM or Chrysler, unfortunately!