Used 2009 Chevrolet HHR LT Wagon Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

no title
By alan schoenthal

Worst car ever!
By Jennifer O

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been a complete disappointment and frustration to me since day one.... I bought it used from a reputable dealer with approx. 53,000 miles. It had clean Carfax. I am a seasoned driver and drive very carefully. My car has never been involved in any accidents, floods, or serious storms as long as I have been its owner. In the 3 years I have owned it, I have had to replace the ignition cylinder (because my car wouldn't turn off), the fuse block, the BCM, the control arm- twice, the power steering motor, and the front passenger window motor. I had to have the entire electrical system re-wired. Both before and after replacing all the wiring, the "service airbag" icon and message have remained on constantly. Frequently, the front passenger seatbelt locks-up inside the car wall near the door, making it impossible for anyone to pull it out and fasten it to sit in the front passenger seat. I have had to replace the brakes- 3 times. I have had to purchase 5 tires in the past 3 months because it keeps coming out of alignment. I spent almost $1500 3 days ago replacing my shocks & struts, welding a crack in my exhaust, once again fixing the control arm, repairing an oil leak, and replacing spark plugs and seals ruined by the oil leak. Yesterday as I was driving to work, the "service ESC" light and "reduced traction" message appeared and never turned off. Today, the check engine icon and a "reduced power" message came on, while the car sputtered, lurching forward and then almost dying, then lurching, then nearly dying, in a never ending cycle. I am upside down by nearly $7000 as literally all of my savings and that of my loved ones has gone into the neverending, constant stream of repairs. It won't stop. Every time I turn around something new- serious and expensive- is wrong. It is the worst car I have ever owned in my life. I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy, and I don't feel safe driving it. I would junk it the first chance I have, but it's the only car I have, and I'll be paying for it for another 2 1/2 years- IF it makes it that long. Just the WORST!!

LT 2.4 auto
By monkfarm

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my HHR 2.4 LT at 8100 miles.
I am a spirited driver.
The suspension is antiquated.
Look under the rear and discover the solid axle.
(I have had 3 bmws).
That said, the car starts well and is dependable, and is a good solid car for hauling my wife and 4 dogs. (the back seat folds down.)
There is not enough storage in the front and the front corner of the dash tends to bother my knee on long trips.
The drivers seat isn't bad, but could be improved. The dimmer switch seems to make the headlights disappear for a microsecond which is irritating. The torque steer when you really stomp on it is pronounced.
This car is pretty good on long trips and doesn't handle badly.
I enjoy it

The styling I like. I do like the room in the car with the back seat folded down. The fog-lights and headlights seem to put a good pattern on the side of the road. The 2.4 seems to have adequate power. I like that I can shut off the daytime running lights with the switch. The heater and air-conditioner are great. (I was in oklahoma this august with 120 degree weather and it kept up. ) The steering is good, and the car works steering through heavy traffic at high speeds. I like the flex fuel feature. Car is relatively easy to change oil. The car always starts no matter how cold (wisconsin). I have 37000 now.

More storage in front, different design on the dash (hard on the right knee). I like the dash on my former 379 Peterbilt, flat, all the gauges, simple but elegant. It would be beautiful with turned aluminum. Gorgeous on this car and cheap to build. I get some brake noise, and I am not in love with the brakes, (just barely adequate). I mentioned torque steer before (the tendency of the car to wander under acceleration). This is pronounced with this car, really surprising wandering that you must stay on top of when even passing maneuvers call for massive acceleration. Stock lug bolts are cheap (kinda scary), I had to replace 3 already (stripped out). Better fuel economy would be nice.

By 1badstroker

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 2009 HHr in 4/10 and it has had more problems that all my cars I owned in 40 plus years. The pass. side power windows quit after about 4 weeks of ownership and the drivers side front and rear floors were wet. This water caused the wires to corrode and the ecm to go out which caused the windows to get no power. The dealer fixed this under good will. Then after that the dealer fixed another short and then after a time the key would not come out of the ignition. The dealer replaced the shifter and the ignition switch and that has corrected the problem. Since then I
had to replace the battery and
front brakes. All good now.

Fuel milage

Get rid of so much plastic and pay alittle more attention to quality.

Not looking forward to warranty running out
By b0ds

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I purchased this car new back in '09.
It's good on gas and not too bad for road trips.
A taller person like myself might find themselves hunched over to see out the windshield though.
The ignition went bad within the first year.
One day we just couldn't turn the car off, the ignition had locked up and you couldnt turn the key to shut it off.
Had to pull the fuel pump fuse to kill the car.
We've had to have the brake rotors and pads replaced a couple times.
Most recently we had to replace a leaking front strut.
All this before the car reached 27k miles.
Havnt had to pay for repairs, but the warranty ends soon.
I would not purchase another one.