Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

fantastic family car
By kmak

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great vehicle for a small family. We traded in a grocery-getter mini van for the HHR, and haven't looked back for a second. Stylish and fun to drive, with quite a few modern options, plus plenty of room. I like the mix of classic chevy style combined with modern technology. Very smooth, solid ride. No problems to mention except an issue with the driver's power lock and the brakes are noisy. As far as day to day use and performance, this vehicle is a big success. The back seats lay flat in about 3 seconds and you can haul a ton of stuff as a result. We tackled a yard sale a couple weeks back and had no issues cramming this car of stuff we needed to sell. Kids love it.

Favorite Features

remote start, handling, fuel economy, the way it looks, functional aspect with the seats dropped flat

Suggested Improvements

put in a rear arm rest with built-in cupholders, move power window buttons to the traditional spot, and make non- squeaky brakes

GREAT LITTLE ROCK
By corky

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Love the darn thing so far. Have had no problems and get great mileage in and out of town. Bought it used and would buy another. Kept the suburban for the heavy hauling. We call it our little burb.

Favorite Features

Small but more room than it looks. Easy and fun to drive. My wife loves the remote start and heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

counsel

Practical, Fun and Stylish (for some)
By 87silver

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought an HHR because I need a practical vehicle with good gas mileage. For those who like the '40s chopped top hot rod look, the HHR hits the mark and surely is set apart from its Asian counterparts. I see the hard surfaces in the interior as a virtue, since my kids always come back muddy from bicycle sports events and its durable as easy to clean for this purpose. I opted for the SS version that was engineered by GM Performance Division. It handles like a sports car and has the acceleration of a rocket. My experience with actual fuel mileage is about 27.5mpg for combined 70/30 hwy/city with the 2.0L Turbo. I'm very happy with my HHR SS and it fits my specific transportation needs well.

Favorite Features

The HHR SS Turbo is so much fun to drive that it is almost addictive. I didn't expect this level of driving experience. The styling is "love or hate". If you understand what it represents, you'll be a supporter. I am a hot rod fan and this is a little piece of styling nostalgia that hits the mark.

Suggested Improvements

The standard transmission models do not have center arm rests on the seats. This is so that they do not get in the way for shifting. But for long highway trips when shifting is less required, it would have been nice to have them fold down when needed, then fold back for city driving.

I'm buying american again
By Bruce

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The HHR has turned me back were I should be buying American. This vehicle is a lot of fun to drive and some of my co-workers also own HHRs and they just love them. I have a SS and the power is great and I did not have to give up great gas mileage. The HHR is a keeper I am proud to own a chevy and my next car will be a chevy. Thanks for building a car I can be proud of and Love to drive.

Favorite Features

The body style and the engine.

Suggested Improvements

The plastic in the interior looks cheap but and could be upgraded to make people love the vehicle even more.

Fun car with hit or miss looks
By subcult

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have put 20k miles on this car and are 1 month shy of a year of ownership. We have had 0 problems everything works no repairs. It was bought for my wife but now that we have 3 car seats we had to get a Mini- van, so now the HHR is mine. The car is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage we are averaging 26 mpg after a winter of letting the car idle for 5+ minutes while it warmed and we loaded up the car seats.

Favorite Features

The Chrome Package

Suggested Improvements

Better placement of cup holders in front with the arm rests down you can't get to your tasty beverages.