Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
Gets better with every mile
By loopdriver on 11/18/08 08:49 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was drawn to the HHR by its combination small-ish size but generous cargo space. I read the reviews, pro and con, and took a test drive. Initially, I wasn't hooked. The test drive was in a loaded LT, which made the car too costly and too gadget-laden to make me leery of potentially costly repairs. My interest in the car held, however, and a year later I test drove an LS with essentially just ABS and side airbags as options (std on the '09s). I liked it. Bought it. Have been driving it for 6 months and still am happy. Very comfortable. Handles well. Lots of fun to drive. Took about a week to adjust to the short windshield and "blind" spots, but no big deal.

Update to 5/26 Review
By bb on 10/31/08 12:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I still really enjoy this car after driving it for about 6 months. I've had no problems at all and have noticed quite a few more on the roads lately. The gas mileage isn't quite what I was hoping for - only about 22 mpg, doing almost all city driving - but I can still go 2-3 weeks between fill-ups. I'm still very happy with the LS model, it may not be as fast or as stylish as the LT or SS models, but for just driving back and forth to work and around town it works perfectly.

Love my HHR SS
By Tim on 10/29/08 19:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have almost 3000 miles on the SS. Gas mileage is better than expected so far. I commute 50 miles round trip, mostly the Katy Freeway in Houston. The last four tanks averaged 26.5 mpg (actual calculated miles divided by gallons purchased, not the car's computer mpg display.) My previous vehicle was a 2000 Tahoe, a great truck with no problems. The handling and acceleration of the SS is great. I don't have the brake issues other posters have noted. I plan to put a lot of miles on the car.

After 4 months
By ksscooter on 10/27/08 18:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a pleasant surprise so far. It is much quieter than the Acura RSX that I replaced after the Acura had multiple trans problems and the warranty was over. Honda lost me on that car. The Chevy gets great gas mileage, etc. It is hard sometimes to see out of so I have to be sure, the power window switches are placed out of reach, but no car is perfect. My black lab is in heaven with her head hanging out the right rear window. The stereo is A-OK. Mine is a stick shift because I am a stick shift guy and I am happy with the performance of the trans. The car is quiet, rattle free, compact, good mileage, stylish, and my dog loves it. I'd buy a another one in a heart beat.

Fun Car
By Jim on 10/21/08 07:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was looking for a retro style car, was looking at PT Cruisers, when I stopped in to the local Chevy store. I didn't know they were making the SS verison. Drove both and for the extra bucks the turbo is well worth the extra. It's a fun car to drive with the 5 speed. Under hard acceleration have a good grip on the steering wheel, there is a lot of torque steer. I guess they have relocated the window switches because mine are on the door and the cup holders aren't covered by an arm rest. My only complaint is my right leg rests against the center console and is uncomfortable other than that I really like the car.

From Explorer to HHR
By Landis on 10/10/08 22:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted to trade in my Explorer Limited to save on gas and to do that was tough because I loved that truck. I tested the Equinox (didn't like gas mileage)for the heck of it look at the HHR and I have never looked back. This car has lots of room to carry stuff and the gas mileage is the best I've ever had in the 30 years I've been driving cars. The only thing I disliked on this car is the window controls but that's been changed for the '09 model I think.

Enjoy the HHR
By Mike on 10/05/08 03:42 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle in May mainly due to (1) an immediate need for a vehicle, (2) a desire to get better gas mileage and (3) a very good Memorial Day weekend sale. I have been pleasantly surprised by the vehicle. It is fun to drive and has more pep than I expected.

Wonderful Car
By Joel on 09/25/08 01:53 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased this car, pretty happy with it so far. In my opinion its a nice car for the money and gets very good gas mileage. Nice and roomy for small family of 4. I disliked it at first thinking it was going to be like a PT Cruiser and I was wrong and sold when I test drove it. It was exactly what I was looking for. So I suggest if you're thinking about looking for a roomy family vehicle that you can haul stuff if you want then this is the perfect car for you.

My favorite ride
By Connie on 09/24/08 14:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! I bought my HHR almost 1 year ago and I still love it. It is the first vehicle I have owned that did not have new car bugs or problems. I have not had to take it back to the dealer even once since I bought it. I bought the Victory Red version, and the paint still glistens. The interior is holding up very well. The features are amazing for the price range. Gas mileage is excellent. Power to go is there. Handling is good except behind a 18 wheeler on the interstate then you get buffeted around a bit. I would (and have) recommend this vehicle to my friends.

Fun car
By Darkboi13 on 09/20/08 19:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my HHR for over a year and still love it like the day I bought it. It's reliable, great gas mileage, and it's fun to drive. I like the cargo net option and the fold down seats. I've packed a lot of my belongings with the back seats down. The optional ipod jack is great as well for long drives.