Used 2006 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Beautiful
By Patty

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Did not want a new car, husband took me to dealership and it was sold. Absolutely love my HHR. Black with chrome package and aftermarket chrome rims, it turns heads. Love the interior design: fold down seats, lots of storage in rear, glovebox and dash storage, guages easy to read, steering wheel cruise controls and information center. Recent trip got 29 mpg on hwy, avg 25 in city.

Favorite Features

Chrome package, layout of dash, great looks, great economy, made in the USA

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holders and give the rear passengers some. Directional guage. Make the running boards and mudflaps standard. Electric seat for passenger side

11 Month Update - not good
By RedGeminiPA

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, I posted a review not long after I purchased this car. I rated it a 10. Now that I've owned this car almost 11 months, I wish I could say the same as before. Not long after the first review, I started having electrical problems. The dealer made 3 attempts to find the problem with no results. They finally pulled codes on the 4th attempt when I finally got it in with the "TC off" light on. Then the district service manager won't authorize local dlrs to attempt to fix my car: bought in Pittsburgh 2 hrs away. I love the car, but not the problems. Other problems: stereo, headlights, security, trans noises. I don't think I'll buy another GM. Poor dealer/GM support. Buying import next time.

Favorite Features

Definitely exterior styling. Always get compliments about the looks and the Sunburst Orange II color. Fairly good gas mileage. Pioneer sound system. Remote start. Cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Put a warranty on a car and stand behind it!!

GM is making a come back
By Doug

2006 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I have traditionally purchased foreign cars, but she saw a picture of the HHR and was interested. We test drove it and were very impressed. Ride and handling are excellent, surprisingly quiet vehicle, suprisingly comfortable seats. Interior is well laid out with lots of storage space. Retro appearance is kind of fun, but it was the value that sold us. We bought the base model and didn't add any options because it didn't need any in our opinion, the base model is very well equipped. We just took it on our first road trip, it was a pleasure to drive. If GM can continue to put out vehicles like this they may be on the way back.

Favorite Features

Quite ride, comfortable seats, lots of storage. Excellent radio with MP3 input jack standard. Good gas mileage and fun to drive. Build quality appears to be excellent. Overall a great value for the price.

Suggested Improvements

The engine is perfectly acceptable, but with more pep the car would be even more fun to drive. Bigger glove box.

First GM car ever.
By Dr. Ray

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I knew it was slow, but I have gotten used to simply pushing it a little. I love the exterior styling, but wish GM had used better quality sheet metal (dings with ease) and interior parts. Cup holder placement is useless, and it needs better storage. That said, I love the retro look, the ease of ingress and egress, the hauling capacity witht the seats down and the $50 a month drop in insurance over my 2001 4Runner. This car needs 25 more horses for this enthusiast. I intend to install a cold air induction to make it sound and move a little better. Too many PT Cruisers out there. 5 more miles per gallon would be good too.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, black looks sleek with chrome wheels. Great XM radio and got hooked by the OnStar feature. Hauling capacity is excellent. Very easy to drive. Nice ride, especially compared to the 4Runner.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior plastic, better storage (tray under passenger seat would be good) relocation of cup holders, better sheet metal. Better mileage.

Our red HHR
By darlene Haase

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Everyone stops us to ask where we found this beautiful car. They ask all of the usual questions , mileage, etc. We must be in our second teen years because we love this beautiful red car.

Favorite Features

Mileage and sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of any.