2002 Chevrolet Corvette Consumer Review: Daily sports driver

2002 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Review

Z06 Coupe (5.7L V8 6-speed Manual)

Daily sports driver
By FN Lawyer on

2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

After owning 2 Porsche Carreras in a row, it was with great reluctance that i viewed the Z06 as an alternative. Yet, the press kept heralding its performance prowess, and new found reliability. Went to a dealer for a test drive, my mistake. How could it actually better a Carrera? Well, after 2 years, it simply does. It still hangs tight, no chassis noises, brakes better, accelerates and outcorners better, and i still can't believe the gas mileage. No, it doesn't enjoy same interior design and quality, what a shame, wouldn't mind paying an extra 2k for them. Yet, it's roomy and more comfortable than it seems. I don't think i'll be going back to Porsche.

Favorite Features

Raw power. Torque you can live with. Brakes that work. Roomy interiors and usable trunk. Comfortable enough for 3- 5 hour long drives. Still can't believe this thing will turn over 23 mpg on the expressway, WOW ! This auto is trully fun to drive, at the expense of tire wear, of course.

Suggested Improvements

Chevrolet has heard my prayers regarding interiors. The new C6 has improved dramatically not only with its exterior design, but by re-touching its interiors as well. Still, my dream '06 would enjoy more of an "AUDI TT" dash and steering wheel flair. I miss my Porshce/Audi dealer.