2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
dont buy ever
By dontbuythiscar on 01/13/14 16:23 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2008 and had it for 7 years put to much into the car to say always a problem with something just an all around bad car

Good Car For Teen
By 631rob1991 on 03/06/11 21:51 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had the Z24 model which had good power. For it's price it was great. Interior os too small with very little space in the back seat and trunk. If you're over 6'2" no way to drive as the roof is very low. Stylish.

Great Car!
By brantm21 on 01/12/11 10:02 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 2001. Great, Great car. It is one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever drove. It now has 145,000 miles on it, and still strong. The good: They dont make great cars like this anymore; Drives and rides great; Great fuel economy 33HW 29C; The Bad: Cheap Interior; Bad for ball joints, but easy fix; Other than that fantastic car and very reliable. I use this car for everything. Long trips, back and forth to work, grocery getter. If you looking for something cheap and fun this is the car for you.

Reliable & sporty 2001 Z24
By Dano on 10/22/09 05:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our 2001 Chev Z24 new & it doesn't owe us a thing. We replaced the plugs,tires & battery this year (2009)after 120,000 km.'s of all kinds of Canadian weather & road conditions. It has a rattle coming from the front tire area which I suspect it's a bad strut. All in all not bad performance for a car creeping up on 10 years old. It is a 5-spd. & is fun too drive with plenty of "omf" when you need it. One of our better large purchases in our lives. I would recommend it.

Update for 11/28/06 review
By Matt on 12/22/07 23:26 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for only a year and a half. I purchased it with 89k and the motor went out at 94k. The motor I have in it now is starting to knock and it has only 60k! Unfortunately I read about the hit and miss reliability of the 2.4 motors after I bought it. The transmission has clunky shifts between 1st and 2nd. The front end clunks and squeaks when turning. The mechanic told me its a "normal" Cavalier thing and no repairs are necessary. The fuel pump cost me an outrageous $500 at the dealer. My dash is cracked in 2 places. I expected better from Chevy. The non 2.4 Cavaliers are much more reliable. I might look elsware for my next purchase which might be soon with that time bomb of a motor.

Great little car
By Murdoc on 05/18/07 01:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in November 2003 with 56,000 miles on it, it now has 148,000. The car has been very reliable, needing only a couple of brake changes I did myself. I put in an aftermarket air intake that made a huge difference in performance. I would describe the 2.4 as being very eager. I get about 29 mpg every time i fill, but have seen as much as 38 mpg on road trips. Lost of squeaks rattles and engine noises, but I drive with the radio turned up.

Cheap Sports Coupe
By Matt on 11/28/06 12:37 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 3 weeks ago and so far the only problems have been a burned out fog light and a CD player that doesn't work. The engine on this car is strong and reminds me of my V6 Cavalier in that it's strong and responsive. Gas mileage isn't bad for a small car but could be better: 25 MPG. It rides a little harsh but that's what you get when you get the Z24. Exterior styling with the 16-inch wheels and black paint is attractive. The interior, while functional, is full of cheap plastics and rattles. I also don't like the location of the power window switches. I love the stereo and speakers though. Rear seat room is better than you'd think and the seats are much nicer than in the base model.

Great little car
By kyle on 03/13/06 16:07 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Very nice to drive. Fun but expensive for fuel. Good for 19-20 year olds. Not a family car at all

Fun Car
By Fun car on 03/31/05 21:48 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have gotten great gas mileage out of this vehicle (up to 34mpg highway). It is a fun, sporty car with a little more kick to it than the average Cavalier. It is a great car for those that are single or have no kids (being a 2 door and a compact back seat would probably be a little bit of a hassle with carseats although the capability is there). This is a great, stylish, dependable car for those that want something fun to drive.

gm never again
By unhappy777 on 11/15/04 00:02 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

it's funny, when I read about the problems people have with this car, I just smile and nod, cause I have them too. Way too many of them, after 80k, rattling everywhere, cracked dash, water pump needed changed(expensive), now strut mounts need to be changed, cause of horrific squeeking, at highway speeds the driver door makes a noise as if the window wasn't all the way up, a/c had to be repaired, ..... I'm afraid to drive this car, what's going to break next? And this car isn't that old yet.