Used 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Efficient, fun ride. Cosmetic issues, however.
By Alex Hammond

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car with around 30k miles on. Everything has been fine with the car up until about 165k miles where some interior and exterior cosmetic issues began to happen. The paint on the hood, roof, and front bumper began to either fall off or fade. Not sure if this is due to sun damage, bird poop, or factory quality but I have seen many other Cavaliers with the same issue. Also, the dashboard piece near the window has cracked horribly and the faux leather cover around the stick shift has ripped. Although these things come with age, the dash should not crack like it did. Overall good features are that the car is amazingly comfy, fun to drive, and offers good mileage. The downsides are the cosmetic issues, horrible placement of temperature and directional AC knobs, and headlights.

Nobody loves their cavalier like me
By Layla

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My grandfather bought this car back in like 2006. I don't know how many miles it had when my grandpa purchased the car for $3,000 but I have had the car for a year and a half and when I got it it had 188,000 miles on it and now has 206,000 miles on it. I love this car. I remember taking it all over the place when I was younger. I have never had any problems with this car whatsoever. No repairs other than a new muffler and exhaust pipe needing replaced. My car always starts and always gets me where I need to go. No problems ever except my headlights suck but that was caused by a collision with a deer. Great gas mileage. I love this car. It's about time for me to get another car since this one is getting so old and so many miles on it but I'm having trouble with the thought of parting with my cavalier. My grandpa always had cavaliers and if you take care of them I swear they can go forever. We know a man down the road that has 300,000 miles on his! My cavalier is 3 different colors and has carpeted seats, I never thought I would love it this much but I do. GREAT VALUE I LOVE THIS CAR

Reliable small car
By Darwin

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new and now have 86000 km of mixed city and highway driving. Also have a trailer hitch and frequently pull a utility trailer and a small boat trailer with no problems. Automatic transmission is reliable and smooth. This is not a race car or very flashy but good reliable transportation. Had to replace the front wheel bearings - driver side last fall and passenger side this spring.

Reliable economical transport ABS & traction control ( I had a Jeep Wrangler and other than not having as much road clearance; the Cavalier in this setup is just as good )

Unfortunately not made any more. Replaced by the Cobalt which seems to be just a smaller version of the Malibu and the mileage figures have not been improved.

2001 Cavalier
By Linda

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is GREAT! I got into a wreck where another driver hit me head on, and broke my windsheild and also made my airbags bust. But my engine was in GOOD shape nothing happened to it. Thank God!! This goes to show you that the engine in this car is GREATLY MADE!

I think they should made the body more durable.

Keep Looking!
By SarahB

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for five months and needed to replace the head gasket and coolant system. The car has run warmer than it should since I got it, and just recently finally decided to overheat. This car is only at 51,000 miles. Keep searching for other cars!

Seats are slightly comfortable.