Used 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Cutting my losses!
By Robert Waltermyer

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Please do your research, before you buy an Avalanche. Consumer Reports rates all years, but 2012, as worse/much worse than average. We bought our LTZ new in 2007 and currently have 97,000 miles on it. I was pulling my camper home last year, from a camping trip, when, about 6 hours from home, the transmission failed (87,000 miles on the vehicle). Fortunately, I found a Chevy dealer close by and they were amazing (wish they were closer to home!). I've had most all of the problems that Consumer Reports and owner reviews have detailed. Power steering pump replaced; starter replaced; routinely replace TPMS sensors; back-up lights stay on sometimes, running battery down; currently having intermittent problems with the all-wheel drive, stability control, and traction control systems (don't know what's going on there); and myriad of electrical problems. I contacted Chevrolet's Customer Assistance Center and got the standard response that it's probably abuse and poor maintenance, completely discounting Consumer Reports' and owners' reviews. My local mechanic, I refuse to go to a Chevy dealer - don't trust them, suggests that I unload the Avalanche before anything else major happens. This is really sad, since I love the vehicle and hate to part with it. Like another reviewed said, it's truly a love/hate relationship.

I like mine, but do your research before you buy
By Steven C

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my '07 LT trim 6 months ago with 89k on the clock. It was a dealer maintained one owner truck. I've now got just under 100k on it. So far so good I guess?... Mine does "consume oil" like others say, I'm only about a quart low between oil changes. Recent repairs consist of the front passenger side caliper sticking, warping the rotor and busting the brake master cylinder. Costs about $600 for a new master cylinder, calipers, brake pads and rotors for the front of the truck. only one trip to a repair shop so far is acceptable, buying a higher mileage vehicle I came to expect to start replacing components. It rides great, the seats are comfortable, handles like an agile truck, even the stock stereo sounds good. Power is adequate, the 5.3 is a tad sluggish from a stop and on highway passing. I probably feel that way because I had test driven a Yukon Denali and Caddilac Escalade with the 6.2 before ultimately buying the Avalanche. The best benefit of this truck is the midgate, I needed cargo and people space and it's perfect for the job. I can carry my family in the cabin, and carry my equipment in the bed. Overall I'm satisfied, I would call it a "good" truck, however not a "great" truck. I'd recommend it if you need flexibility in carry capability. If you want one, make sure it has service records/history as it seems these will break down if not properly maintained. Lastly, anticipate that you will be making some repairs yourself.

Love-Hate Relationship!!
By Carly

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Just got my 07 LTZ its been in the shop 4xs in 6mths!!! Back-end rebuilt 2xs along with misc fixes. Then replaced the air-ride compressor. Back again for axel, bearings, and alternator. NOW it wont start and I'm being told it could be an "electrical issue". I'm so over this chevy! Thank god I have my lexus to rely on! What sucks is as soon as I get back in the truck, I love it! I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship! Do your homework on this truck for sure!! Don't get suckered by looks and comfort - it will let you down time and time again!!

2 rebuilds under 200k
By pgarvey

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

2007 avalance new lifters at 95k. now needs new lifters again. GMC refuses to fix problem. so now i will become a problem for them thru my attorney. oh instead of fixing engine they offered me $1000 of a new vehicle purchase. what a joke. last time i drive a GM product. back to the imports as they last and admit their shortcomings.

customer service and quality.

2007 LTZ Avalanche - Read the complaints before spending the money
By aq67

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

50/50 chance once the problems start.
I read so many good things about this vehicle that I wish I would have known the key words to research the bad.
Like "Low Oil - Shut Off Engine" and then the "Traction control off", "Stabilitrak off", "Reduced Engine Power", "High Oil Consumption", threads & threads of people having problems with the same issues and GM is aware of it.
Do your research a little deeper and look up what I mentioned here, then after reading about engine replacements - decide and I wish you the best - I truly do!

Used to love everything about this vehicle - would again if all the problems would stop after having the truck less than 7 months!

Read the threads from your consumers, Chevy Pride is diminishing for many American consumers.