2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
I love this truck
By rb on 05/21/10 15:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my Avalanche with 12K miles in 2003, it now has 167K and going strong. Considering the miles, other than routine things like, brakes, shocks, oil and tires, this truck has broken down very little. I had some front end work done, pitman arm and ball joints at about 100k, and a knock sensor at 150K. I replace the water pump at 150K because the gasket was leaking and I had to remove it to do the gasket. The original brakes lasted 100k. Still on the original alternator, radiator, exhaust etc.

If you have to own a truck this is it.
By THEDOM on 05/06/10 12:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been nothing short of great. It's dependable and looks great. The only problem I ever had was the front bearings at 92k. I'm ready to purchase another soon and looking forward to another great vehicle

200k no problems
By mike on 02/06/10 11:57 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had a 2002 and put 200k on it b4 I sold it. Never had a problem other than a plugged sock in the fuel pump from dirty fuel. never rattled, squeaked. flexed. I towed the heck out of this truck and changed oil at 10k to 12k miles. after about 200k was using 1 qt in between changes. I now have a 2007 w/ 130 and it's even better.

Happy Sportsmen
By Happy Sportsman on 08/06/09 07:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck to drive and work with. It tows an 6000 lbs boat with no issue. I can take the whole family with me on a Ski trip or outing without having to pack the luggage,skis, hockey,baseball,and soccer equipment on top of the kids or leave them in the bed for the elements to have their way with. I use the truck to get back and forth to my construction job and find the side boxes very useful for my smaller tools and the bed is great for all the heavy equipment, add to that the fact that you can lock everything up and secure it for the night all together with the alarm on is great. I do have a vibration in my back end that no mechanics seam to be able to find or explain.

Amazing Z71 Truck!!
By jharken on 03/28/09 19:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has it all! It looks great and the ride is even better! The inside of the vehicle is well built and everything is within easy reach. Had only one problem with a CV joint but its a 7 year old truck stuff will break eventually. And the best part is I still get 16-18 miles a gallon with this giant!

Awesome Avalanche
By jrwjr99 on 05/08/08 04:43 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle although very fun to drive and extremely versatile, is one to keep in the garage until needed for work or play. Not the best communting vehicle because of the mileage. But all things being said this is a really fun truck to have if you have a family.

1st vehicle it would hurt me to give up!
By truly on 03/22/08 05:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that it would truly hurt to give up. I bought it new 184000 miles ago and its been great, Outside of normal maintaince, I had the rear locking differential replaced at 140000 miles. The versatility of the midgate makes it so I can haul 4 x 8 drywall with 12' long 2 by 4's on top of them, sticking between the front seats, all out of the weather. Its great for hauling the grocerys, moving a kid to college or taking 5 full sized adults on a trip. Towing is ok, ride and comfort is better than any car or minivan that I ever owned.

Would get another one
By Jim on 02/17/08 05:53 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. I've carried a Harley in the back and pulled a 10K travel trailer through the mountains (not the same time). The plus side of the setup is your friends don't look at it as a truck when they move even though it has all the ability. The only gripe is the 8.1L engines oil consumption is high. One qt in 3K miles when new, three qts in 3K now. Chevy claimed in 2002 one qt in 100 miles was considered high anything less is acceptable. Big engine is great for towing, stomp on the pedal and she jumps even at 70mph. Down side is MPG 11 around town 14 on the highway at 75mph. I would replace with same truck smaller V8 but right now I'll drive it until the wheels fall off.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By Suzanne on 01/12/08 06:55 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My '02 Z66 is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. Room for kids, lumber, landscaping stuff. It stands out in the crowd with great lines and top shelf reliability. I have never had to put this vehicle in the shop! It's got 106k miles on it and I fully intend to drive it until it just won't go another mile. No, I will replace what ever breaks and give it to my soon to be 16 yr old. I love this truck.

Love my Avalanche
By Frank C. on 12/27/07 22:58 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought it new & now have 74,000 miles. I love this truck & would buy another. The major mechanicals; engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc., no problems, however, the rear axle bearings had to be replaced at one point, which is the only problem that I have had with the truck. Very reliable & can always count on it. Very comfortable & smooth for a truck. Very useful, like the midgate & the rubber lined bed.