2002 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
2002 BMW 7 Series (Good and Bad)
By shame on 02/02/13 04:44 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I want to buy a 7 Series but I have been told by many BMW salesmen that if I'm going to get one, by a 2003 or newer. They say that the 02 had several problems. I like the 2002 and newer body style. I Never cared for the 2001 and before body styles. But what I don't understand is for such an expensive car why did it come out with so many problems. Most of the reviews on the car from anyone who has owned one seemed to be very mixed reviews. People keep complaining that the car has several mechanical problems, but also say that they've kept the car for 5 to 10 years. So it must not be that bad. What changes were made in the 2003 and newer models to improve all the problems?

Had enough!
By enzo360 on 09/04/12 10:40 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After 7 years of ownership, finally had enough of the continual issues with this car and traded it in (not a BMW). Only drove the car in the summer but that did not prevent many costly repairs once the warranty was over. Major coolant leak leading to engine damage (covered by warranty), cooling fan replaced, passenger window motor, 2 batteries, alternator, 6 CD changer malfunctioned, steering alignment could never be done properly leading to uneven tire wear on expensive Dunlops, bad sunroof windnoise that "could not be fixed", excessive road noise, clunky transmission, check engine light "forever" ON, low battery warning would appear often. Each dealer visit; minimum $1000. Enough!

love/hate -- sold it and bought an acura
By viola128 on 05/06/12 00:29 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I had the 745i for 10 years and at only 80 thousand miles, i finally decided to get rid of it. Fortunately, I sold it for a pretty good price and I was being very honest to the guy who bought it about the problems I had with the car before (they were fixed). I love the driving and I do agree that it's very addictive and this is why it took me so long to sell it. But, after 6 years, it started to need my attention and i have not stop paying money to keep it running in good shape. I had 3 oil leaks, coolant problems, vacuum failed twice, power window, shade, door lock, power button for the seat etc....and, I had the service engine lights on as well.

Most comfortable and powerful Car!
By OFiroz on 11/23/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I wanted BMW 745i rather than 745il! I was searching for one for a long time till I got this one. Very comfortable luxury sedan with sporty handling and plenty of power! Really a cool car even after 8 years! It's charisma did not fade all these years, paint looks new. I have a flawless grey exterior,but wait... what is the color of the interior? blueish gray! Grayish blue!? What color blind person made this interior? I didn't like the interior color at all, since the car was clean, and left with no other choice I've been forced to buy this BMW! Mechanically it is a good vehicle though. I am still puzzled, which guy with right frame of mind would make such an ugly color for a classy car?

Bad Experience, Worst car to buy
By Noor on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

From the day i bought until now, every week i drop off the car for repair. I am broke, I did not know that I am paying for the BMW mess, mistake, for not making the better engine and computer complication. I think it is the time for 745i BMW recall. Whoever owns and has problems with car, like i mentioned before, should go public, media and have BMW fixed their own mess. I think even Mazda, Ford, Honda, Toyota are more reliable cars than BMW.

No BMW Support
By Peter on 06/09/10 17:03 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

When I purchased this car, it was covered under the extended warranty package. Notwithstanding, the car was in the service bay every two weeks, fixing a sensor, rebooting the computer,checking a warning light. At six years two months and 128,000 KM or post-warranty coverage a new transmission was required; a second transmission tune-up(??) at 133,000 km. The dealerships are at a loss to completely repair some of the noises under the hood: it has become a very expensive guessing game. When there was difficulty starting the car, an alternator and new battery were recommended. An independent garage, they replaced the starter at a third the labor/parts charge. BMW shrugs & smiles and I get poorer!

Love/Hate
By DD on 03/02/10 12:46 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I love/hate this car. The love portion comes with it being one of the most exhilarating cars to drive - until a malfunction light registers in your dashboard (which is an every other month occurrence). The medical bills on this car are unreal. It still has a clicking noise that no one can seem to cure; not even the dealer. Mine has over 125k on it now and is almost paid off but I don't know how much more I can take with these outrageous medical bills she bears.

2002 BMW 745i
By AMAZING on 11/20/07 22:35 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The most amazing car I have ever owned. I've done Lexus for years and I've owned two mercedes S-Classes but nothing is like my 745. It is fun to drive and I love the technology. I'll admit I was nervous when I purchased my used 7 series, but it's been months and I have yet to encounter a single problem with this iDrive business, I love the iDrive. I've never gotten so many turning heads in the lexus or benz either, like my 7!

Great car, but very unreliable
By jstewart on 07/19/07 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I really enjoy this car except for having to take it in to get the latest computer malfunction fixed every few months. CONSTANT computer problems and other little things going awry, fortunately it's under warranty but I'd hate to think what the maintenance costs would be if it wasn't. Definitely not keeping the car past the warranty. Amazing handling for a car this size, I love all the bells and whistles, ultra comfortable, but the computer system is garbage.

More Bang for the Buck
By Clyde on 05/18/07 12:09 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 7 Series 745i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my 2002 745i for a year and and half and I must say I enjoy it more and more each day. Handling is precise, ride is firm but smooth, looks - it still turns heads! The iDrive is fun once you get used to it - it can be a showpiece for passengers not used to computer oriented commands. No mechanical issues, full warranty until late '08 - I couldn't ask for more!!!