Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great Car
By mapin3d@comcast.net

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great car. Quite a few features that make this car exceptionally fun to drive. Handles nicely hugging the road with complete confidence, very responsive, quiet interior. Overall this car meets most of ones expectations of a mid sized BMW although it is slightly underpowered for its size. At 225 HP it is sometimes not quite as responsive off the line. Although once at cruising speeds, just a slight tap on the accelerator produces quick and confident acceleration. Interior is nicely appointed and not overdone.

Steptronics gear box, interior design, exterior body design although it took a little time to get use to.

Needs more overall HP and low end torque for quicker acceleration. For those seeking more HP, without having to purchase a new vehicle you might want to consider aftermarket engine/ cold air intake modifications to boost performance.

Very Happy With This Vehicle
By Jim White

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I happened to really like both the interior and exterior styling and notice many who when I go into another lane check the car out as I pass on the highway. I had a Cadillac DTS prior to this and a Seville STS before that, neither car compared. I receive compliments from people I don"t know all the time, had two today, that makes you feel good as well. As was the case with the review writtten in this article SOME find the idrive system complicated, I don't. It took a little to get used to but it does so much, I don't know how it would have been simplified and still do as much. I ordered the car with PDC, Park Distance Control, don't overlook GPS! Both are exceptional!!

The PDC and GPS get top marks. Acura has a very good GPS (quality of maps, ease of use as well as versatility) I like BMW's next better than Lexusl. I like the PDC as the acuracy of the sensors is great. It covers a bit around the corners of the vehicle and is audible as well as visual.

I don't like the location for the heated steering wheel switch and I would like to be able to decide when the headlights are washed, not the car doing it every so often when I wash the windshield.

A Joy To Ride
By mark

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the 545 with SMG/ Sports package sight unseen on the recommendation of the salesman - glad I did. This car is an absolute joy to drive - I do ~60 miles each day and it's a pleasure.

acceleration, power and handling

plug and play ipod, ability for 04 models to use bluetooth

Fun Car
By gene

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

My first BMW and I love it. I did have the car in the shop 3 times. 1st exhaust sensor went out. 2nd the car had to be towed to the shop...bad oil pressure sensor... I decided to trade-in for LEXUS reliability but after I test drove LEXUS I decided to keep my BMW. I just can't give-up the BMW performance... and I still have the warranty.

performance

cup holders, simplify electronics, need more storage.

Solid Performer
By Dave

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I traded an '04 Mercedes e500 for the 545 and am happy with the decision. The 545 is sportier, a bit quicker and grippier on the roads. I have to say, I think the Benz has a few things over my 545 - interior and exterior design primarilly, though the "Banglisms" (designer) on this car are growing on me...

Bluetooth - if you have a bluetooth phone, you have to get connected with this feature. The most under-promoted, awesome feature aside from the car's engine itself! Justifies the iDrive -

Cupholders - sounds petty, but they could not have been designed more poorly by my 14-month old... Horrible and a source of frustration as cans wooble, bottled water doesn't fit and coffee is a non-option.