BEST low-maintenance sports compact.
By thedirtybird on
1998 Acura Integra LS 2dr Hatchback
Writing this review is almost as difficult a decision as selling my Integra was. The car was brilliant! People constantly trying to steal it was not. Having worked as a valet and driven virtually every commonly available car on the road, the Integra turned out to be the best balance of sporty, economical, and affordable, especially for a college student on a budget (and not wanting to "settle" for a Geo or Cavalier). To be honest, the non-VTEC LS trim has enough bang for your buck... and when will you -really- be needing VTEC?
Favorite Features
Interior - I am 6'1" and the Integra fit me like a glove. The cabin is very clean, simple, and abundant with window space (so make sure you keep the interior tidy!) Amazing handling - if you're not familiar with it, test drive a Honda Civic the same day as an Integra. Your mind will be blown. I preferred the handling over the "improved" Acura RSX that replaced this model. Reliability/easy maintenance - I babied my Integra, but even with abuse I'd assume the car could easily make it to the 200,000-mile zone. Around the 80k mark my radiator sprung a leak, it cost $40 and a case of beer to change myself.
Suggested Improvements
This is why I rated the Build Quality a 3: Aftermarket security is essential. This puts a very unfortunate extra strain on your budget. My car was constantly harassed parked on the street, door molding pried at, window smashed, and finally stolen with a simple coat hangar and shaved down Honda key. As much as I'll miss it, the theft has left me far too paranoid to continue owning the Integra as a daily driver without a garage. If one day the stars line up juuust right, I will definitely own another Integra.