Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Mild mannered, got it where it counts
By Meike

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been great. It always does what it should, and when I need it. Fun to drive, comfortable for long weekend driving. Style is clean and impressive, whenever someone gets in it they ask what is it?

Favorite Features

The engine - the car loves to go fast. Becareful or you will be getting tickets. 6-CD in dash with Bose, everything built in. The turning radius good too.

Suggested Improvements

More head room, but I am 6'6".

Contemporary Luxury with a hint of Sport
By CalicoFeline

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Best car I have ever owned. CL Type S, Black on Black with additional black wood accent trim around inst. panel, A/C vents, console, etc, WOW, upgraded interior, backup and fog lights to PIAA- improvement! When you ask it to go, it comes back and says “how fast”, very smooth & responsive, handles like a dream. 29,000 miles replaced tires to Bridgestone Turanza LSV – good choice. When you sit in the seat it wraps around you as to say “I’ll protect you”. Sad, to say I have experienced a few hard shifts from 2nd to 3rd, hope this is not a sign of the known tranny issues, other than that, no mechanical problems.

Favorite Features

Blackwood interior trim, seats, console, good use of space. Well balanced and good curb weight, feels solid and safe.

Suggested Improvements

Paint, very poor quality, says it’s clear coat, it must be a thin coat. Bose sound system is disappointing. Shame that such a great car has had so many tranny issues, not good for a company named after “AcCURAcy” but I guess nothing is perfect.

S is for Speed
By DB

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is amazing. It is my 3rd Acura and fourth Honda. I had a Legend Coupe and often regretted selling it, So when the 2nd Generation CL came out I had to have it. This car does everything, and will eat most car's lunch, including the beloved 3 Series BMW (Except for the M3 of course). Smooth ride and comfort, and Honda reliability. Just can't say enough good things about this automobile. It is a wolf in sheeps clothing. You can shock a mustang or camaro owner in this car. Some complain about the ride on the Type S, but if that is the concern you have, buy a Buick or a sedan. You are not the target market for this car.

Favorite Features

The engine, the seats, the suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Get real fog lights with a separate power switch.

Smooth, responsive, fun and reliable!
By Greg Z. W .

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Wonderful car: drives like an M3, but is more quiet, feels luxurious and is absolutely reliable. The best GPS navigation system I've seen. I've put almost 70 000 miles on it and have not had a single problem. Just pour gas, change oil and have fun! The transmission have always behaved flawlessly and they did the scheduled fix at 40,000 miles. The only quibble I would have about this great car is the poor paintwork. Acura should really work on this.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, tight suspension and steering, great navigation system. Reliability!

Suggested Improvements

Poor paint work. The stock Michelin tires are nothing special. The Yokohama Avid V4S are so much better. Definitely the best tires for this car.

Smooth Ride
By Drew

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Acura has me sold. My silver on black CL has been everything I expected. And expectations can be a dangerous thing…I purchased it used with 43K miles on it. Got a great deal too. One word: Smooth. I love the sound of the engine when you punch it. I drove the type S as well, but didn't like the harshness of the ride. I much preferred the stock 3.2 CL's ride and if you're stress'en over the power drop of from the S, don't, the car scoots. 0-60 in 7.0 seconds is quick to most normal human beings. And once you sit in the seats, your body just melts into the leather and you're lulled to sleep by how smooth and quite the car is. My commute home will never be the same.

Favorite Features

NAV, Heated Leather multi-adjustable seats, In-dash CD changer, Quietness, Engine purr...

Suggested Improvements

Need to change the rims. Scratch way too easily. Everything else is just what I expected and then some.