Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Would Keep It Forever
By gf

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I keep hoping Acura will make another coupe like this. It still looks great and handles well at 91,000 miles. I'm hoping it lasts 91,000 more. Its second transmission slips just a little on a quick shift, and there's rust on the bottom of the passenger- side door. The brakes have had a major overhaul. Our other car is a 2003 CTS, which I like just as well although the features differ.

Overall appearance, reliability, engine, handling, heated seats. Motorized front seats make access to rear seats easier.

Seatbelt is hard to find and frequently gets caught in the door. Paint chips easily. Chrome on wheel nut rusted early on.

Mid-Life Crisis Car
By J.B.

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased this red, 2001 Acura CL 3.2, 2 door coupe, Type S. I had a 1997 Camry for 10 years, which still ran excellently, but the suspension was degrading, and other things were starting to go wrong with it. So, I had heard the Acura was a "fancy" Honda, and took a look at this used one with only 47,000 miles. It was great, and so "zippy"! As a middle aged woman, who has always been sensible, I decided to go for it. What fun! I am really enjoying this car. I do have to watch out for the paint, as it seems to flaw easily. Also, I have heard the trannys are not the greatest, but so far so good with this one. And features!? It practically comes in and cleans the house!

Side passenger mirror that tilts down to show the curb when you put it in reverse. Lumbar support seating. Sound system. Large trunk. Very zippy! Excellent handling. Seat warmers. Locking back seat arm rest/storage unit. Pop up trunk with remote switch. Impressive air conditioning system.

The Milan red paint does flaw and scratch easily. Seat belt (shoulder harness) is hard to pull forward from where its located. Radio station button on steering wheel only changes stations to those you have program in. It will not "search" from that location.

Beautiful car
By dviperkrzy1

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

With my personal experience of having different Honda made vehicles, I can say by far that the Acura CL Type S is one of Acura's best vehicles by far because of its balance of luxury and sport. I love to drive this car on the freeway and have it ride smooth even at 100. There was a transmission recall on the vehicle but as soon as the dealer changes the transmission for you for free no improvements needed.

Type S engine and suspension. Lots of power under the engine. Ride is very smooth.

Excellent Car!
By Cash

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Got this car with 58K on it and now has less than 65K. Absolutely love this car, no probs so far. ABS and side airbag turned on and dealership took care of it. Wish I had bought a type S. When I got it, I tinted my windows black, recently put some black rims on it and smoked out the front and rear tail lights. Next project to put some lambo doors and pop up navi and dvd player. This is my 3rd Honda/Acura and will absolutely stick with them! Next car is the TL.

Love the King seats, antiglare mirror, woodgrain interior along with the system. Decent size coupe, smooth ride, xenon lights. The back is spacious too. I am 6'2 and I sat in the back and it was comfy.

I hate the seat belts, never seem to roll back to its original spot. Of course the transmission.

Best for the budget!
By Dan

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my CL-S over a year ago with 76K miles on it and so far it has performed very well. Excellent build quality and premium feel to interior. Most people think the car is less than one year old! The 260HP engine was ahead of its time and can still keep up with recent models like the Infiniti G35 coupe. Although the mileage was high, it was an excellent value for under $13K. I just replaced the front rotors and pads at around 88K miles ($400), and the only other expense I incurred were the four new tires ($650). The car has been pulling slightly to the left since I bought it and after two alignments the problem has not been corrected. It's been an overall pleasure to drive.

Power, look, quality.

Suspension needs some adjustments and does not feel confident over 95 mph. Auto-shift has delay and sometimes doesn't shift between 2nd and 3rd gear on the first attempt.