2001 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
Contemporary Luxury with a hint of Sport
By CalicoFeline on 06/16/05 20:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Best car I have ever owned. CL Type S, Black on Black with additional black wood accent trim around inst. panel, A/C vents, console, etc, WOW, upgraded interior, backup and fog lights to PIAA- improvement! When you ask it to go, it comes back and says “how fast”, very smooth & responsive, handles like a dream. 29,000 miles replaced tires to Bridgestone Turanza LSV – good choice. When you sit in the seat it wraps around you as to say “I’ll protect you”. Sad, to say I have experienced a few hard shifts from 2nd to 3rd, hope this is not a sign of the known tranny issues, other than that, no mechanical problems.

S is for Speed
By DB on 06/10/05 11:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is amazing. It is my 3rd Acura and fourth Honda. I had a Legend Coupe and often regretted selling it, So when the 2nd Generation CL came out I had to have it. This car does everything, and will eat most car's lunch, including the beloved 3 Series BMW (Except for the M3 of course). Smooth ride and comfort, and Honda reliability. Just can't say enough good things about this automobile. It is a wolf in sheeps clothing. You can shock a mustang or camaro owner in this car. Some complain about the ride on the Type S, but if that is the concern you have, buy a Buick or a sedan. You are not the target market for this car.

Smooth, responsive, fun and reliable!
By Greg Z. W . on 04/13/05 20:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Wonderful car: drives like an M3, but is more quiet, feels luxurious and is absolutely reliable. The best GPS navigation system I've seen. I've put almost 70 000 miles on it and have not had a single problem. Just pour gas, change oil and have fun! The transmission have always behaved flawlessly and they did the scheduled fix at 40,000 miles. The only quibble I would have about this great car is the poor paintwork. Acura should really work on this.

Smooth Ride
By Drew on 03/23/05 17:12 PM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Acura has me sold. My silver on black CL has been everything I expected. And expectations can be a dangerous thing…I purchased it used with 43K miles on it. Got a great deal too. One word: Smooth. I love the sound of the engine when you punch it. I drove the type S as well, but didn't like the harshness of the ride. I much preferred the stock 3.2 CL's ride and if you're stress'en over the power drop of from the S, don't, the car scoots. 0-60 in 7.0 seconds is quick to most normal human beings. And once you sit in the seats, your body just melts into the leather and you're lulled to sleep by how smooth and quite the car is. My commute home will never be the same.

Good value but...
By BHarvey on 03/08/05 21:13 PM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

...it's a Honda. Great engine and fortunately, I've escaped the transmission woes (for now). Handling is OK, but steering feedback is typical Honda "dead". Little communication with the road. Turning radius is much too wide for a car of this type. OEM Michelins were terrible. Replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Expensive, but a fantastic improvement. Great car for those who want a sporty car w/above avg power, but don't want to sacrifice comfort. Handling and feedback not even close to a Bimmer 330, but then again, it was $6 grand cheaper.

Very Happy
By greg on 01/06/05 17:33 PM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Acura and I'm loving it. I bought it certified and the dealership has been great.

Quality at a reasonable price
By v maggio on 01/06/05 15:11 PM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Fun and comfortable to drive. Gets over 30 mpg on long trips. While the rear seat is comfortable it is not easy to get in and out.

1 year later...still pleased
By Ryan on 12/29/04 11:15 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with about 42K miles on it. Couldn't be happier with the vehicle for the price I paid. Runs great, good speed, love the heated seats, navigation system rules. Being the first experience with a foreign car, I am very pleased. We hope to upgrade to a MDX in a few years. For the money and options included, this is a steal compared to a Lexus.

better than Honda Accord v-6 same price!
By aveerothai on 11/17/04 10:35 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used 2 years ago. No problem, fun to drive, Bose system, heated seat and memory seat and this car is going for same price as Honda Accord v6. What a deal!

I would rather go back to my BMW328CI
By Type-S on 11/06/04 10:52 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission problems, check engine light constantly comes on, and loud sunroof, and slight rattles. I wish I had kept my old BMW328CI which had over 140k miles and never had any of these problems that my Acura CL with only 60,000 miles have. I have heard/read that the better Acura CLs were the 1997 to 1999. My co-worker has a 1997 CL 3.0 and never had any problems with it and has over 110,000 miles on it. You get a far better car for the money you pay for a BMW 3 series.