Skip to main content

Edmunds suggests you pay
$50,105
5 for sale near you
1...

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2024 XC90, so we've included reviews for other years of the XC90 since its last redesign.
1 out of 5 stars

Worst XC90 EVER MADE! Do not buy it!

FlyingBye, 02/06/2023
2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge T8 Ultimate Dark 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 8A)

This car has had absolutely nothing but problems. The backup camera and sensors continue to violently engage the ‘rear brake intervention’ system when there’s nothing weekend. The entertainment system screen goes black, has double exposure of data, flashes intermittently and freezes. Apple CarPlay doesn’t display maps and shows a big black box in the driver screen. Google Maps doesn’t work in dashboard heads-up display. The trim around the vehicle was faulty from the day I purchased it, I was told it would be replaced…that was October. The part just came in two weeks ago. Volvo refuses to acknowledge there’s an issue. However, they did say there is a software update - IN APRIL! They are hoping this will fix many problems. But I shouldn’t have to wait 3 months for a POTENTIAL SOLUTION. This is a $80,000+ car, why are there so many problems? I don’t even have 1,500 miles on this car because it’s been in the shop so many times since I bought it in October. I’ve owned two previous new XC90s never have I had this amount of problems.

6 month update: frustrating infotainment

Thomas Roberts, 05/12/2023
updated 05/13/2024
2023 Volvo XC90 B6 Ultimate Bright 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric mild hybrid 8A)

6 month update: Volvo took a minimalist approach to their new (mid 2023) infotainment that we’re finding incredibly frustrating, which took away some worthwhile customization options. First to note, we had a 2020 R design and this is the inscription. I hate that they got rid of it. I liked the look and feel/ergonomics of the R design, but I get it, not a lot of folks looking for a sporty looking 7 seater Volvo I guess. My biggest gripe is that It’s a great car if it weren’t for a frustrating level of user experience based on taking away simple options. 1. Incredibly frustrating - The sound system. Volvo says it has optimized the sound experience so you only have 3 selections on sound customization and no ability to balance the sound, only to select forward, back or middle. Here is the issue: in the middle option, barely ANY SOUND comes out of the back speakers (middle row). Our kids can’t hear anything when the speakers are “centered.” We took it to the dealer and confirmed this is the same in other cars. Our salesperson was surprised also when we confirmed it. It is a big design flaw. A couple of other salespeople were there and also were surprised, but clearly tried to downplay it. It’s very very noticeable and even more frustrating when it’s a good set of speakers which we’re paying for, and there is no way to mitigate this. 2. They took away drive modes, so except for a box to check for steering feel (firm or soft) there’s nothing. No customization - again. 3. When a sensor goes off because something is close to the car, it immediately goes to a 360 view. This means that every time a pedestrian walks in front of your car close by (which happens a lot in the city) it goes to that view and starts beeping. There is NO WAY to turn it off. So if you are trying to look at your directions at a red light, and people are walking in front of your car, it switches screens and you can’t see your next turn. It gets annoying quickly. 4. This is small, but in our last car we could pick the interior lighting color. It was cool and frankly we liked it. It adds a level of fun/luxury which at this price point was appreciated. And now it’s just white lighting, no options. 5. Waze is finicky at best, still end up using Apple CarPlay. It also doesn’t play on the dash - just google maps. 6. You can’t see what media/song is playing unless you’re in the music app. So no ability to see it while using any navigation app. While the car overall is good, we’re very frustrated with the infotainment, especially compared to our 2020. This certainly didn’t feel like an upgrade, aside from the cooled seats, and actually felt downgraded with these missing important features. Also, we find this car lacks the steering feel of our 2020, but we get it’s not the R design. I will admit the engine is better in the B6, and our mileage is fantastic, it’s just a shame that the user experience is so frustrating. We thought we’d be Volvo lifers as we prefer the more subdued image vs the German rivals, and we LOVE the level of safety Volvo provides, but where before we thought it was a no-brainer to renew our lease, we’ll need to see if these changes are fixed or if we need to shop elsewhere. 6 month update: I moved my rating from 2 to 4 stars. Everything works and the car has been reliable. Service is generally top notch. However, I am still frustrated by the infotainment not showing what music is playing while on map view and not having the option for balance/fade on the speakers. While our mileage is pretty good, I miss some of the sporty characteristics and driving modes of the R design. I really really dislike chrome trim. I’m not saying it doesn’t look good, but it makes the car look like everything else. My overall assessment has not changed unfortunately. While we like the car, the lack of character really brought it down a notch for us from thinking we were going to stick with Volvo for a long time, to “it’s a really good car, but let’s shop around.” Hoping they fix that especially since they do offer dark trim and even blackout editions on the smaller models, and what they took away is some relatively easy and cheap things to fix/add. That doesn’t mean you should shy away from Volvo, they’re still fantastic cars and provide great service, we just miss the personality.

Don't Buy

Jo, 02/09/2023

I've had my '23 XC90 Ultimate just over a month and am extremely disappointed. The blind spot monitor doesn't light when it should. It also gets stuck on and doesn't go off. There is an annoying squeaky noise when the brake pedal is released. Service has lubricated and checked the pedal but it did not fix the noise. XM allows you to replay about 15 min. of their stations; however, Volvo is not set up with "Replay". Very aggravating if you turn to a station and want to replay to catch the conversation they were having. But the most concerning thing is the amount of force it takes to stop the hatch when it's coming down. It doesn't stop when it touches an object, it continues until it's pushed the object to the floor then reverses. Very dangerous. I've owned Suburbans, Toyotas, and Jeeps. None of them have had issues like this Volvo. One month in, I hate to think of what might be going on with it a year from now.

Smoke in mirrors

Steve, 06/05/2023
2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge T8 Ultimate Bright 4dr SUV AWD w/6 Passenger Seating (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 8A)

The Volvo XC90 is a great looking car and very comfortable however there are major mechanical and quality issues with this car. My experience has been awful. At 11,000 miles the brakes went and rotors had to be replaced. Additionaly I had the sunroof leaking water into the car and leaving a musty smell in the car. The infotainment system sometimes blacks out while driving and isn’t very responsive when trying to turn on heating seats, radio and temperature. The transmission has to be re programmed because it was sticking in gear and wouldn’t downshift and hesitates. The engine is a bizzare power train and isn’t predictable on power. Overall very poor quality vehicle. Looks and interior comfort only go so far. May I add I only have 14k miles on the car!! Can’t wait til lease is up. Someone would have to pay me money to drive another Volvo.

Caveat Emptor: First and Last Volvo Purchase

A Davies, 11/29/2023
2024 Volvo XC90 Recharge T8 Plus 4dr SUV AWD w/6 Passenger Seating (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 8A)

I drove a new Audi Q7 (2017, Premium Plus trim) until buying the 2024 Volvo XC90 Recharge two months ago. This is hands-down the worst overall experience I’ve ever had with a car. The user experience (UX) design engineers could learn a lot from the German, Japanese, Korean and even American models in its class. The interior components feel cheep and gimmicky. For example, the interior pockets in the front doors of the vehicle feel flimsy to the touch - the pockets are made of such thin plastic that you can literally feel the pocket bend when manipulating it between your fingers. Even the netting on the fronts of the back seats misses the design benefits that of having a vertical groove that allows one to easily slide his/her finger between the back of the chair and the netting when storing or retrieving a magazine or some other object normally secured in this space. The netting is so tight that, without a simple vertical groove, it requires two hands to store or remove an object. Volvos are renowned for their storied safety record. While built like a tank, a vehicle that costs $80k should not feel like you’re driving a tank. The tailgate makes a loud thud when it is released or closed - loud enough that it reverberates throughout the rest of the vehicle. It sounds like the tailgates on oversized, American-made station wagons circa 1975 that my parents had. The horn has two settings: 1) off or 2) obnoxiously loud and rude-sounding - again, modeled after that 70’s era station wagon - that required one to firmly depress the horn with substantial force to toggle the horn from its off position to the “offending your fellow motorists” on position. The UI on the infotainment system is all Google (with the option for Apple Car Play). It is unwieldy and not at all intuitive. Simple things like setting the cruise control are overthought and, while I can make phone calls over Bluetooth it requires me to be hardwired via USB-C to play over Spotify on Apple Car Play. I asked the dealer about this and was told I should just enable my Google logon directly in the UI. When I asked about what that would mean, should my wife drive my car and was told she wouldn’t be able to use it and that the less than satisfying USB-C experience would be necessary. One final note on the USB-C, unless you firmly and forcibly jam it into the phone, the car doesn’t register it as connected. This is absolutely maddening as, should you be fortunate enough to get the USB-C to connect to your phone, the connection is so tenuous that an acceleration, turn or deceleration is usually enough to break the connection - and interrupt whatever music or podcast you were listening to. I can’t communicate just how frustrating this is. Lastly, as it pertains to the phone, the cabin and dashboard were designed without a place to set your phone. I’m not expecting it to have wireless charging (like my wife has in her Tesla), but it is insane that in the year 2024 design engineers would build a vehicle without at least a place to hold your phone while in transit. I could go on, but doing so will only raise my blood pressure. While I paid a 20% for the Volvo more than I paid for the Audi, the quality and value found in the Q7 offer orders of magnitude more quality, refinement and value. I plan to suffer through another 10 months of driving this vehicle and will quickly get rid of it for something. Caveat Emptor!

1...