2017 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Avoid new models like the plague
By C. Ayers

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

The new Volvo seduced us with it's looks, interior, technology, and promise of reliability. A year later, I am reminded of when Mom said, "looks aren't everything". In less than 12 months of ownership we've had the car in for warranty repair Iver a DOZEN times, for everything from windows leaking water to being towed in because the vehicle was broken in limp mode. I won't detail e ery issue, but I will relate what a friendly color technician told me as we were performing a test drive - "none of the new Volvos break the same.". For me, this indicates total quality issues with the vehicles, and I recommend staying away from the Geely generation of Volvos...unless you enjoy spending your time in service department waiting rooms. Oh, and generally speaking the Volvo dealerships/service departments are lacking in amenities when compared to other luxury brands (Florida), except for Hendrick Volvo in Charleston, SC, which is a flagship store. TL;DR, these aren't the droids you're looking for, move along.

Great for open road
By Gary

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

I have had my 2017 Inscription for 14 months and just did my 20,000 mile maintenance. I live in Kansas and drive mostly on highways so after learning to use them I really enjoy all the safety features. I have driven it for 8-10 hours at a time and can relax and am not tired at the end of the day. It’s a cruise vehicle. I can carry my children and grandchildren in the car and feel safe and comfortable. I average 23 mpg. My only complaint is the fuel system which does not have a cap thus have had problems with vapor leaks causing check engine lights (I blame government EPA regs). If you want a performance machine it’s probably not for you but if you want a safe cruiser and learn to use the systems it’s great.

Not as good as it looks
By DJ

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

I bought a fully loaded 2017 T6 inscription with the bowers and wilkins sound system. It’s now only 6 mo old. Yes, I’m writing a negative review because of my experience with this suv. But buyer should beware: this suv is not assembled and designed to the standards of the other luxury car I own (BMW X5 50i). Even our 2015 highlander was better put together. Yes, this is a beautiful car. And at first glance the inside is also nice. Here are the problems I’ve had 1) leather seats separate from the foam and crease 2) rattling from base from the stereo 3) second row seat siding mechanism broke with routine use!!! 4) infotainment system is slow and frankly it sucks not having jobs or buttons for quick functions 5) headliner was loose upon purchase and made an annoying chirping sound. how about what’s not broken? 4 cylinder is loud, annoyingly loud. Ride is firm without the air suspension (only option I don’t have). Steering is great, better than my BMW and it feels good in the corners. It drivers like a European car. Safety is obviously Volvo’s strong point. Automatic breaking already saved me once. Fortunately I can’t vouch for all the features working in the background. This is an amazing looking car. The inside looks nice till you look up close. It’s a great car to LOOK at but for the cost (north of $65,000 with the option I have) it just doesn’t stack up to my BMW in build quality. I’m really considering taking a loss and selling this thing. Afraid to see what happens at 1 year.

A Worthy SUV
By Anthony

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

I will start off by saying that I am a huge Volvo fan. So when it came time to buy my new XC90 (T6 Momentum Plus), there wasn't much that was going to keep me from getting it. Although, when I saw some of the reviews on here about software issues along with other "nightmares" resulting from new technology and bugs that weren't worked out.. I was a little apprehensive. I decided to put my concerns to the side and take advantage of the year end close out deals and buy one. I've been in the car for about 6 months now and have taken it all over Colorado and have been able to try it out in pretty much every driving scenario: traffic jams, countryside driving, mountain driving, rain, snow, icy conditions, etc. After all of that I do have to say this car has been pretty much perfect. My personal opinion is that other reviews about "nightmares" are not only exaggerated, but blown completely out of proportion. This car's technology centers around safety, so if you're going to weave all over the road, drive it like a sports car, follow people too closely, or in other words drive like a moron.. this car is going to fight you (unless you disable the various safety systems) every step of the way. I have slightly modified my driving style and find that all the technologies work as promised without any issues. My first week of having the car I did have the auto brake engage when I was speeding up and getting too close to a car to change lanes but it didn't screech to a halt or anything like that. It simply beeped at me and softly started to slow me down to avoid what it thought was an imminent crash. It took me about a month to "learn" the car and adapt my driving accordingly. Since that time everything has been smooth. There are certain things that annoy me about the car that I do hope Volvo changes in the future, but they are minor issues. For example, I love using the 360 degree camera as well as the parking features, but because I live in a busy city I don't have the time to stop in the middle of the road and swipe through 2-3 screens to select the feature i'm trying to use. I wish they would add some shortcut buttons on the dash so I can quickly turn my 360 camera on/off or select a specific feature without having to swipe through a couple of menus first. That part definitely gets old, but my overall enjoyment of the car as a whole outweighs those frustrations immensely. It is extremely comfortable to drive, ride in, and it's a real head-turner to look at. The gas mileage isn't bad, but I pretty much always keep the car in ECO mode unless i'm driving up into the mountains in which case I use Dynamic mode, and that makes the drive a real thrill. I average between 19.5 and 21 MPG on a tank, and that is a mix of both city and highway driving. When i'm going long distance on the interstate I average 23-26 MPG. I do wish the fuel tank was a little larger, only getting 300 miles out of a tank before the gas light comes on means I have to get gas every single week. Some of the other competing SUV's can get 400-600 miles out of a tank.

Can’t wait to return it
By IhatemyXC90 smith

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

Completely ridiculous controls panel. Constant warning beeps accelerating to hysteria in heavy traffic (have to remember to manually turn off EVERY time car is driven, a lengthy and confusing prospect). Warning symbols appear with no explanation to be found in owners manual, electric socket (used to be for lighter) can’t handle an iPhone, the fuse blows- what’s it for?, only one USB socket so can’t charge more than one device on long road trips, volvo service rips you off on prices for anything not included in routine maintenance, back seat tiny and uncomfortable.