2017 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Not as good as it looks
By DJ

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

I bought a fully loaded 2017 T6 inscription with the bowers and wilkins sound system. It’s now only 6 mo old. Yes, I’m writing a negative review because of my experience with this suv. But buyer should beware: this suv is not assembled and designed to the standards of the other luxury car I own (BMW X5 50i). Even our 2015 highlander was better put together. Yes, this is a beautiful car. And at first glance the inside is also nice. Here are the problems I’ve had 1) leather seats separate from the foam and crease 2) rattling from base from the stereo 3) second row seat siding mechanism broke with routine use!!! 4) infotainment system is slow and frankly it sucks not having jobs or buttons for quick functions 5) headliner was loose upon purchase and made an annoying chirping sound. how about what’s not broken? 4 cylinder is loud, annoyingly loud. Ride is firm without the air suspension (only option I don’t have). Steering is great, better than my BMW and it feels good in the corners. It drivers like a European car. Safety is obviously Volvo’s strong point. Automatic breaking already saved me once. Fortunately I can’t vouch for all the features working in the background. This is an amazing looking car. The inside looks nice till you look up close. It’s a great car to LOOK at but for the cost (north of $65,000 with the option I have) it just doesn’t stack up to my BMW in build quality. I’m really considering taking a loss and selling this thing. Afraid to see what happens at 1 year.

A Worthy SUV
By Anthony

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

I will start off by saying that I am a huge Volvo fan. So when it came time to buy my new XC90 (T6 Momentum Plus), there wasn't much that was going to keep me from getting it. Although, when I saw some of the reviews on here about software issues along with other "nightmares" resulting from new technology and bugs that weren't worked out.. I was a little apprehensive. I decided to put my concerns to the side and take advantage of the year end close out deals and buy one. I've been in the car for about 6 months now and have taken it all over Colorado and have been able to try it out in pretty much every driving scenario: traffic jams, countryside driving, mountain driving, rain, snow, icy conditions, etc. After all of that I do have to say this car has been pretty much perfect. My personal opinion is that other reviews about "nightmares" are not only exaggerated, but blown completely out of proportion. This car's technology centers around safety, so if you're going to weave all over the road, drive it like a sports car, follow people too closely, or in other words drive like a moron.. this car is going to fight you (unless you disable the various safety systems) every step of the way. I have slightly modified my driving style and find that all the technologies work as promised without any issues. My first week of having the car I did have the auto brake engage when I was speeding up and getting too close to a car to change lanes but it didn't screech to a halt or anything like that. It simply beeped at me and softly started to slow me down to avoid what it thought was an imminent crash. It took me about a month to "learn" the car and adapt my driving accordingly. Since that time everything has been smooth. There are certain things that annoy me about the car that I do hope Volvo changes in the future, but they are minor issues. For example, I love using the 360 degree camera as well as the parking features, but because I live in a busy city I don't have the time to stop in the middle of the road and swipe through 2-3 screens to select the feature i'm trying to use. I wish they would add some shortcut buttons on the dash so I can quickly turn my 360 camera on/off or select a specific feature without having to swipe through a couple of menus first. That part definitely gets old, but my overall enjoyment of the car as a whole outweighs those frustrations immensely. It is extremely comfortable to drive, ride in, and it's a real head-turner to look at. The gas mileage isn't bad, but I pretty much always keep the car in ECO mode unless i'm driving up into the mountains in which case I use Dynamic mode, and that makes the drive a real thrill. I average between 19.5 and 21 MPG on a tank, and that is a mix of both city and highway driving. When i'm going long distance on the interstate I average 23-26 MPG. I do wish the fuel tank was a little larger, only getting 300 miles out of a tank before the gas light comes on means I have to get gas every single week. Some of the other competing SUV's can get 400-600 miles out of a tank.

Can’t wait to return it
By IhatemyXC90 smith

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

Completely ridiculous controls panel. Constant warning beeps accelerating to hysteria in heavy traffic (have to remember to manually turn off EVERY time car is driven, a lengthy and confusing prospect). Warning symbols appear with no explanation to be found in owners manual, electric socket (used to be for lighter) can’t handle an iPhone, the fuse blows- what’s it for?, only one USB socket so can’t charge more than one device on long road trips, volvo service rips you off on prices for anything not included in routine maintenance, back seat tiny and uncomfortable.

Nice Car But Don't Count on it to get you There
By Doug Funston

2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Twin Engine Plug-In Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric hybrid 8A)

Mine is a virtually fully loaded T8 Inscription. It looks, rides and performs (when it works) beautifully. However, mine has been wrought with electrical/computer problems from the get/go. It routinely spits out warning lights on various systems from ESC, engine, 12 volt system. It has been in for repair (i.e not routine mtce) in one year more than my 2006 Mazda has been in its lifetime. I am in my 60's and have owned many vehicles and this one has generated more warning lights in its short life than ALL my other vehicles combined. Half the time software update is used by the dealer as the solution to my problems. They almost never know what the update is supposed to solve. My navigation system broke down on a cross country trip and required the dealer to reboot it. Even my Tom Tom can be rebooted manually by me. Finally replaced the module for the electric motor that drives the rear wheels claiming it was dragging down my 12 volt system and causing all these spurious computer generated warning lights. The car worked fine for a couple of months and then one day it was completely dead (12 Volt) wouldn't even unlock the car. Dealer claimed my less one year old 12 volt battery was faulty. It was replaced. So today 3 months later a new warning light "12 volt system service required" has illuminated. My issues electrically/computer are clearly still unresolved. I cannot recommend this vehicle for its poor reliability.

Great SUV but warranty is useless
By DS

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

I had this SUV for little over 9 months and 6K miles on it. My wife does not drive it very much as she uses a vanpool to get to work. We did not spend much time exploring this cars features. We did realize after nine months that the car actually had a coin holder :( and that the door to the coin holder was stuck. Took it to the dealer Momentum Jaguar Volvo in Houston where I bought it from and explained the issue. They kept the car for a day and said they had to order a part to fix it and told me it will be a warranty repair. Next day they call me to tell me that it won't be covered by warranty because the door was stuck because of a spill. I explained it to them that we had not used the car very much and that's the way the coin holder was until we realized it was a coin holder. If they left it at that I would have gladly taken the car back. They took out the center console and wanted $400 install it back. When I looked at the disassembled center console I did see some spill on to the sides of the console but nothing actually in the coin holder door mechanism. It looked like the dealer wanted to just charge me $690 to replace the coin holder because volvo does not reimburse them that much if it was done under warranty. They even called volvo customer care and made sure I cannot preemptively talk to them and have it replaced under warranty. I even purchased an extended warranty through volvo for this car. And all volvo and the dealer wanted to do was cut corners by claiming the damage was caused by the spill when actually there was no water damage to the coin holder itself. They won't admit that it was defective to start with. All this for replacing a $90 coin holder. I would recommend people looking into buying this car to make sure what kind of service the dealer will provide after the purchase. Reade reviews about the dealer service department before purchasing, because most of the headache with volvo cars is dealing with dishonest dealers service department. Your warranty is as good as nothing because it is the service advisors discretion in deciding if they want to do it under warranty. They will cook up some reason to not repair even warrantable items because they can charge the customer more than what Volvo would reimburse them.