Used 2012 Volvo XC60 Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC60 model:

Beware of Volvo!!!!!
By Dennis

2012 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased this Volvo new and it came with a 5 yr/ 50000 mile promotional factory warranty that has just ended. Aside from scheduled maintenance volvo has either repaired or replaced under warranty the following: Battery twice ( car had to be towed in both times), plastic piece by rear seat headrest broke, plastic piece by rear seat fold down lever broke, AC condenser, gas gauge sending and receiving unit, rear back up camera, dash computer,rear hatch actuator, Windshield was leaking water inside, has now developed a bad smell they believe is mildew caused by water getting under carpet from leaking windshield so they shampooed carpet, car still smells. Based on repair history of first 5 yrs of ownership the time when the least repairs should occur it is obvious the car has issues. Now that warranty is up I contacted volvo explaining that I didn't think it fair that I find myself in a position that I pay $43000 for a car, maintain it well, has less than 50,000 miles and it appears I must sell it to avoid hefty future repairs. I asked them to recognize that this is not their best manufactured vehicle and must be outside of what they believe is acceptable. I asked they either preferably extend the warranty or if not provide a very good incentive to trade in on a newer volvo. Their first response was to tell me that if any of the repairs made broke a second time they would "consider" at that time making the repair. I asked to speak to the person making that decision so we could discuss and was told I cannot. I wrote another letter to volvo a bit stronger and low and behold I received a call from the servicing dealer (Jaguar Land Rover Porsche Volvo of Greenville).  I went in and met contact at dealer. He looked at history and told me the following: The car was out of service 28 days in the 5 yrs, it had been in 11 times for service in 5 yrs, (This doesn't seem too bad however when something broke we lived with it until it was time for next scheduled service as we live about 40 min drive from dealer.) Had I had to pay for those repairs it would have cost me approx $5000. My feeling was that $5000 for repairs in the first 5 yrs was horrible this is when car should need to be repaired the least. He then told me that bringing it in 11 times in 5 yrs was below average. When I told him that Volvo cannot be proud of the repair history of this car and cannot think it is usual and customary he said that two of the repairs added to $2600 and if we separated out those two repairs the repairs history of $2400 was pretty good. While this is all going on they price my car for a trade in and give me a price of $11,000 that would be a 75% depreciation in 5 yrs for a vehicle with no visible damage inside or out with less than 50,000 miles (kbb prices median trade in as $14,000). End result is volvo obviously feels and dealer rep has expressed to me that these repairs are normal and within acceptable limits I obviously disagree. Also be aware that while volvo is responsive to emails you cannot speak directly with a decision maker they are shielded..Very frustrating..

I will miss this car and buy another again
By JR

2012 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This car is not only the safest car on the road, but it has a great design and offers a somooth ride.

AWESOME TECHNOLOGY
By Roland

2012 Volvo XC60 T6 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded my 2010 VOLVO XC60 T6 for a 2012 XC 60 T except this time I upgraded to the technology package. I have had no problems with the vehicle and love the technology package. I look forward to the release of the 2018 XC60 and hope it has lane control. I also have a GMC Sierra which has the lane nudge feature and also love that as if I get to close to the lines in the road, the steering wheel turns back into the lane. I presently have 44,000 miles on my XC 60 T6 and the mpg is way better than the ratings. I live in a rural area and my average speed is 50 to 55 mph and I am averaging 33 mpg. The mpg has consistently improved as I get more miles on the vehicle. I am a pretty conservative driver.

Great SUV
By Andy

2012 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is a great purchase I made. The only thing I dont care for is the MPG but knew about it going into it so no big deal.

Very Impressed
By OutdoorzDude

2012 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Owned two BMWs before this, our first Volvo and will not be going back. Quality of materials and reliability much better. Cost of ownership for 4.5 years and 75,0000 miles has been terrific. Now nothing drives like a BMW but I am not missing the expensive maintenance and breakdowns that go with it. Safety is second to none and plenty of room for my tall family of four. Looking forward to the XC60 upgrade hopefully next year for our next one.

Update: 92,000 miles and still performing well, with nothing but routine maintenance required.