Used 1997 Volvo S90 Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volvo S90 Consumer Reviews

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (19 reviews )

Best Car Ever (for Me)
By Karl Zohler USN Ret.

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I purchased my S90 Volvo off the showroom floor on July 2, 1997. I have driven it almost every day since for 20 years. In that time, I have replaced the Radiator and repaired both the A/C once and the Drivers side window. The car has 232,000 on it ( 50/50 city highway ). Never has it failed me yet. It is even still using the factory installed Bosch Platinum spark plugs. However, the car EATS batteries. 24 months!! Period!! Any kind, any use, 24 months almost to the day and the battery is fried. Also, it rides a bit like a truck. On the highway, it's a cloud and the faster you go, the better the gas mileage and ride, but in the city you feel every crack in the road (albeit gently). This sounds terrible, but the car starts first time, every time, from 45 below to 123 in the Desert, accelerates well and has a Ludicrous Top Speed for a luxury car (168 mph). Snow, Ice, Rain and it's relentless. Even on Ice it holds it's own well. I LOVE this car. Another down side is parts (struts and spares are becoming impossible to get). Nevertheless, It's been solid, durable, and dependable beyond my wildest expectations. If they made this same model today, I would buy 2 more, hang the price.

The Last of the Swedish-Made
By David B.

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I bought my car with 91K miles on it from a Volvo-certified master mechanic. It literally had the one driver with saltless winters. I spend maybe $1K/ year on maintenance because I am fastidious. This car rocks. It has the Politburo- chic look about it. The V-6 is really responsive and I love rear-wheel drive in winter. I haven't any complaints save that I will not be able to get another as they are Ford-made or this narcissist in the White House won't let me drive it soon. I am fortunate that I have a well- qualified but also honest mechanic. I intend to drive this until I can't. I have put 20K miles on it thus far.

Stereo, seat comfort, smoothness of drive.

Cupholders.

Volvo for DIVA
By Miss SunShine

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

Tires replacements about average as in any car. Car is used on hwy about 70%, but my tires do last longer than parts. Knowing someone who works on volvo's helps on the cost, and if you a regular shop you "faithfully" have oil changes at, they do help out on claims and assist you with repair cost to regular customers. Claim folks do not want to approve under coverage due to my ded' is only $50.00!!! YEAH.. $50 bucks! Get a good insurance/coverage, and read all fine print and ask questions before signing a contract!!! You can come out winning, if you do your homework and research!!

Color

Maybe just have top layer of front window tinted.

Favorite Car Ever!
By amygin23

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I love this car. We had an accident recently and unfortunately my great car was totaled. We were rear-ended with my 9 year old in the backseat and while the other car looked bashed in, our car held up extremely well and no one was hurt. Very safe and fun car to own. I wanted to make it to 200,000 miles. Very disappointed that I never had the opportunity...

I loved the stereo and how smoothly the car drove. It was soo fun to drive. It fit me like a glove. Very impressed. No issues for an older vehicle.

The cupholders are pathetic and there aren't any in the backseat for the kids. That would be about it.

Excellent Buy
By kc

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I bought this '97 Volvo S90 with 115K miles on it (now over 153K). I have driven for 19 months now, and it has proven to be a wonderfully reliable and comfortable car to drive. I drive approximately 100 miles a day to and from work and I have spent less than $1,000 in repairs and maintenance. This car averages about 24 mi/gal (highway). I only really drive it on the highway so I do not know the city gas mileage. I test drove a brand new Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla the other day (I was considering a vehicle with even better gas mileage), but they could not compare to the luxury, safety, and comfort of this ride. I will drive this vehicle as long as I can.

Comfort. Safety. Vehicle. Sound. Reliability.

Style