Used 2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews

$964 - $2,105

Used S80 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Have Enjoyed this Car

Anonymous, 12/08/2010

I recently purchased my 2000 Volvo S80 less than two years ago with 97500 miles on it. I have been taking care of it, and it has been taking car of me. Disregarding preventative maintenance, the only parts I have had to change were the oxygen sensors (which were supposed to be changed at 100000 miles) and the battery. Many people complain that the repairs are expensive, which may be true for someone who for someone who feels bound to the dealer for all repairs. However if you are willing shop around for labor and parts, you can make the repair and maintenance experience comparable to other cars.

The Best Car I've Ever Owned

Mel, 08/09/2006

I'm 53 years old and have owned a lot of cars, but none beats the 2000 Volvo S80 Turbo. I have no idea what the other people are talking about, but I've had nothing but excellent reliability and pure driving pleasure. I've owned the car for almost two years and drive it everyday. I get 21 mpg city and 25 highway. Short or long distance driving experience is nothing short of superb. The turbo is awesome, but I also own a 2000 Volvo S80 nonturbo, which is just as great (owned for 6 years and NO bad experience, just routine maintenance). I love my 2000 S80s. I will purchase the 2007 S80, but I won't trade in my 2000 S80s. I'm keeping them.

Not for the long run

ampxs, 02/05/2013

I bought this car is 2010 with 160k miles on it. I bought it AS-IS and they gave me a new battery since the one it had was dead. I got a great deal on it considering the milage. I had no issues with it for about the first year, after that the ac went out I have replaced the radiator myself for $90. I have replaced 2 ignition coils which I did myself ($80 a piece). I found out from the volvo dealer I needed a new ETM which is 1200 installed. I run the car without it being replaced and it surges. I changed both the axels which was difficult. I do oil changes every 6k miles. It has 220k miles now and needs a timing belt but it is 800 to replace. Its a good car if you dont mind putting lots of $

Terrible reliability

Shelline Holmes, 10/31/2010

I thought the Volvo was a reliable vehicle. But I should have done more research. The Volvo which I brought had 55000 miles. Today it has 69000. The transmission has to be replaced. The brakes have to be replaced again. The check engine light is on and off. The sensor system is bad. The control arms have to be replaced. The repair bill is just unbelievable!!!! I have to let the car go.

2000 Volvo s80 Dr T-6

Coolmo, 04/19/2010

This car is the worst car I've ever own. I saw the mix reviews about this car and was hoping maybe I would get one that was reliable. It turns out I shouldn't make my life career gambling. I bought this car with 80k on it. First it was the motor mounts then it was th shocks and rattle noise. then the check engine light. The the SRS light. Then it would stall once in a while. usually when i try to merge unto the highway. Now i am told the cars computer is not working correctly. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VOLVO. do yourself a favor and take heed to this review(unlike me) stay away from volvo do not buy. especially this model.

2000 S80 T6

REBARLEE, 02/08/2010
T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Purchased new - all available options- first few years ok- This is my 6th and last ever Volvo. Dealers now charge $100 for diagnostics. Fit and finish crappy-Check engine light on constantly even though we always had dealer maintain. Now transmission shot- strut too many times to mentions- Throttle body always an issue. Electronics are a joke- expensive and unreliable- Do your self a favor and do not buy any post 1987 Volvo- Since Ford took over went from being a great to a crappy car

Affordable Luxury Sedan

sedan man, 02/26/2002

This is solid, well built safe sedan. The acceleration is strong and a great ride on the highway if you're going north and south. The handling is okay. Semi-frustrating trunk lock/unlock feature. The interior features are great, comfortable seats, lots of leg room for taller people. Haven't had any problems with the car after 12K miles. Aside from the lock/unlock features all in all, for the money, a very good buy.

She is fast and fun! I love Volvo!

Ju-Ju '50, 05/26/2010

The previous owner took excellent care of her. She hardly looked sat in, much less driven. I couldn't believe my luck, to total my Volvo sw and find a beaut waiting for me to buy her. It's amazing to put my foot on the accelerator and find out I'm going 93 and it feels like I'm going 35! She feels like an affordable luxury car. Leather seating, air conditioning ducts behind the rear seats, front seat warmers, wiper blades on the headlights, a button for wet weather control. The ride is quiet, cruise control makes the drive effortless, smooth. She was used after all; the locks needed replacing, and the transmission because I forgot to shift out of low while driving on the freeway.

200,000 mile car feels like new

josh smith, 06/29/2010

I recently bought my 2000 Volvo s80 t6 it had crazy mileage so i paid 2k for it body was in great shape motor is so quiet you cannot even tell its running. handles great! with more power than my A4 or A6. interior design looks great has a small issue with the seat belt buckle catching and tearing the leather on the door skin easy fix with one of those v seat belt support things. it does lack in the turning radius but it still handles better than any American car. a slight mod to the air box and the car is fast. over all it has been the best 200k car i have seen ill re review this car at 400k I'm sure it will make it. as for costs with eBay and cl parts are no longer so expensive.

Very comfortable when it working

Stephen, 09/30/2015
2.9 4dr Sedan

It a money pit......love the car and drives very comfortable but I keep going to the car shop every month or so and breaking the bank......I hope this the last time until for a while

Failed Transmission

joesmith7, 09/16/2012

Bought the car new in 2000, owned it for 12 years and put 126k miles on it. Car was running fine with no problems until about 112k when a pipe fitting on the radiator cracked and ruined the radiator. At 126k the transmission ripped itself apart. Got 3 separate transmissions put in and all 3 of them broke immediately. Either scraping the car or buying a new trans to put in, either way I've put a lot of money into it. And the gas mileage sucked, 14-15 city is unacceptable.

Great interior/drive, spotty reliability

Robert, 01/28/2009

I bought this car in July of '08 with 74K miles on it and was given a 3 month warranty from the dealer. I noticed the transmission slipping noticeably almost immediately and took it in to the dealer, as I've read these cars have transmission problems. It was covered by the warranty and replaced for free. I've also had the front brake pads and rotors replaced and the cruise control works sporadically. The interior is stylish and extremely comfortable, and the drive is great. Plenty of power. I would tell anyone in the market for a 2000 and later S80 to be careful when looking. Make sure the car is in good shape. If it's been treated well, there shouldn't be too many problems.

The Worst Car Ever!

Bowman, 05/07/2008

We bought the 2000 model after threatening our dealer with a lemon law suit for the 1999 model we purchased 60 days prior. Dealer took the car back at full refund and offered us the 2000 model for a "deal". I wish they would have just kicked us in the head. Two ABS modules, engine struts, 3 radios, 3+ software upgrades, bi-annual computer resets (the kind that required a shuttle to and from work), two extended warranties (paid for themselves in six months), suspension problems. I would estimate the maintenance cost for this car have exceeded $20k. If it was a plane or a boat we would be dead. I thought Volvo Corp. could be trusted to release a product complete.

I think I like this car???

Tlover, 08/17/2009

Ok, so after being in a bad accident I found this car and LOVED how it drove. This car did leave me stranded on a roadtrip, which was the result of a blown transmission....that cost a fortune! Other than the tranny disaster, I must say the car has actually been a pretty great car. It rides very smooth and is freakin fast! I have smoked many Bimmers and Audi's in this. Tiptronic is alot of fun. Front end assembly seems to have alot of problems too. Overall I think I still do like this car. Currently has 95k miles

Saddened by Volvo

JDavis, 11/24/2009

This has been a disappointment since the day we bought it. We have currently spent more on repairs than we did on the car and are planning another trip back this weekend. I am looking at trading it in, but trying to find out if there is a dealer who would take this mess. My advice would be to investigate any Volvo you plan to purchase and avoid the 2000 S80 like the plague it is.

Air Bags

mecop186, 12/23/2009

Two weeks ago we had a snow storm here in Maine (go figure). Well I got stuck in a driveway. Couldn't get out to save my life! After trying for 40 minutes, I was so pi**ed off, I put my S80 T6 in "Park", got out and slammed the drivers door. I heard a "POoof" sound and, when I turned around, it truly looked like I had installed venetian blinds! The "Side Curtains" went off! Ripped the stitching out of the left "Lumbar" support, split the leather, left a 7" tear in the headliner and I now have foam EVERYWHERE the eye can see! Estimates range from $2,000 to $6,000. I'll be taking it to the mid-range guys. They were very intrigued about the door slamming setting off the air bags.

Don't buy

S80T6, 01/14/2010

Fast and good gas mileage. Absolutely terrible reliability. Many expensive suspension problems. Power window motors fail commonly and are expensive to repair. Averaging over $1200/year in repair costs plus normal maintenance. A real lemon

quality of plastic parts is very poor

rosarockville, 03/24/2010

Agreed with other review that after 5 yrs the parts started falling apart. The repair labor charge is awfully high. Even one $50 plastic parts would need 6 to 8 hours labor to replace it. The dealer claimed that those parts are very difficult to reach. I like my volvo car but the repairing charges definitively will make me re-consider for having Volvo for my next car. Now, every time, I can not have my car back from the shop without paying $1300 - $2300. They just told me the oil trap needs to be replaced which got replaced 2 yrs ago, and it costs a little more than $1000.

Has the worst interior!

msC, 05/17/2010

I agree with previous reviews about the maintenance, every time I took it for maintenance was $300 or more. The leather has cracked and the door and window panels has totally come apart. Had window tint done at dealership it literally shrunk, they guaranteed it but when went to dealer, states they don't used that company any more and I need to find someone to replace it.

Not so Reliable after all

Ian, 07/10/2010

I had always heard Volvo's were reliable Safe cars and I came across one and decided to buy it because it was a good value for that price. It's really the most luxurious vehicle you can get for the price. There were many issues from the start for me. First the interior started to fall apart and that wasn't any fun because the prices for parts are ridiculous. Eventually my entire motor blew because Volvo decided that A plastic radiator hose was appropriate for a $55,000 vehicle and it broke off and blew the entire engine. Basically It is a very nice, fun, comfortable car to drive, but it is not worth it for the horrible reliability and price of parts that comes with the ownership of this car.

2000 S80 Wont buy another

RGrabber, 11/14/2002

This car is expensive to maintain which I anticipated upon purchase. what I didn't anticipate was the amount of maintinance. The electrical system is forever causing problems, I estiamte that I have had 6 bulbs replaced by the dealer and I have replace fuses at least 15 times. The stabilizer (at least that's what the dealer called them) seem to need replacement every 20,000 miles my next replacement (needed now) is outside the warranty. It may look better than previous Volvos but it isn't built better. I'll not replace this one with another Volvo.

Some flaws, and not again

FirstS80T6, 11/24/2002

I have several complaints about this car. First of all, the 17-inch upgraded tires are not suitable for any winter driving in the Northeast. I learned this the hard way. Second, driving with the windows and sunroof open will cause the rear view mirror to shake very violently at 60mph. Third, maintenance and autobody works are extremely expensive. It costs me over $700 to replace a cracked headlight! Routine maintenance services were over $200 each visit. Fourth, the suspension and the steering are too soft for my liking. Last, the visibility is very poor. For the amount of money, it is not worth it, and I will definitely not buy the S80 again.

Overall good ownership experience

DaveF, 12/11/2002

Generally a pleasure to own (lease) and drive. Dependable all-weather vehicle. Love the twin turbos, combined w/ an excellent manual gear selection mode. Exterior styling, as well as the quality of paint/trim, is excellent. Interior fit/finish is just o.k. Disappointed by fake wood molding & squeeky interior panels.

Money-sucking disaster

anosmic, 01/28/2003

Only a repair shop could bear to own this vehicle, and then only if they had infinite access to free replacement parts. I haven't had the personal resolve to total up the repair bills we have had on this car, conservatively $15000 in less than 4 years. The design crew Volvo hired for this car were definitely in way over their heads, unless they are getting a cut on the repair bills from the Volvo shops.

Good Car to Drive

Jose, 10/10/2005

I purchased my first Volvo 280 as a certified pre-owned in September 2003. I had a few small gliches at the beggining of my ownership which have been fixed by the dealer at no cost, namely problems had to do with rough idle, and system required maintenance. For the last year the car has performed excellently with just normal maintenance performed

Volvo wears out

Jim, 09/16/2006

I bought mine used at 28,000 and have put only 14,000 on each of the last two years. At 56,000 miles the transmission went and the quote from Volvo was $3,500 to fix. since it was just past the 50,000 mile warranty Volvo offered no assistance and they lowballed the value of the trade-in, even though I was offering to buy a 2006 S80. Based on the unreliability of the car and the atitude of Volvo this was the first and only Volvo my family will be owning.

Safety Factor

tsdero, 09/29/2006

I have been rear ended twice now in this car, once with 400 miles and just recently. Both times the other driver's airbags went off and I was fine. The car absorbed all of the impact. In fact, this second time, my purse didn't even come off the front seat. The officers said that it would have been any other car, the trunk would have been in my rear seat. I'll buy another just for the saftey factor.

Scrap at 75,000 miles

r_brian, 12/06/2012

Front a arms replaced, timing belt, and now the fly wheel became toothless. Two thousand to fix this item and the value of these cars is gone.

Great Car To Drive To the Shop

Sportscarnut, 04/23/2005

In a period of 18 months the following failed: ignition switch, oxygen sensor, mass flow meter, motor mount, upper strut mount, headlight assembly, brake rotors, ABS control unit, turn signal assembly, turbo oil return line, front strut assemblies (2), door trim piece, turbo oil seals, etc. It also had a nasty habit of throwing black brake dust from the front rotors down the side of the car. The really bad part is that if it had been even somewhat realiable, this would be an unbelieveable car. It is nice to look at, very comfortable, relatively easy to work on, and it is very cheap on the used market (probably due to the horrible reliability).

Volvo S80 2000

S80volvo, 01/17/2003

When shopping for a new vehicle, the choose of models included BMW 5, 300E Mercedes, and the STS Cadillac. At 6'2" the Volvo was the most comfortable and provided front wheel drive. Along with a cheaper price tag.

I love it so far!

bob494, 12/15/2006

2000 S80 2.9,155,800 miles,recent purchase based on styling and condition of car. My experience so far has been good,friends like it, runs and drives great. It seems these cars are bashed regularly here and I would like to speculate why this happens. Every car company,Honda and Toyota included,has good and bad examples. Your car can not treat you any better than you treat it. Also,not all dealership technicians are equally talented. If your local Volvo dealer can not fix your car to your satisfaction,find a good independent shop. If you drive your car very aggressively,ie hard braking and jack rabbit starts, expect extra repairs. Don't always blame the car for owner/driver shortcomings.

cruising comfort

coupedejour, 04/01/2002

I've had this car for 2 years and have only done regular maintenance and oil changes. Very comfortable car, great for road trips. I would definately recomend Volvo to anyone!

Love the S80-T6

turboman, 04/13/2002

Best car I've owned, and the first import. Only done the scheduled maintenance. During one service visit, replaced rattling non critical (therefore no recall) front suspension components that broke, covered by warranty.

A Little Disappointed

LGC, 04/14/2002

Car has been in the shop over 11 times in the year that I have had it. Little things, nothing real serious. Steering, vibrations, suspension. I will probably buy a BMW next.

Volvo you broke my heart (and my bank)

thomas, 12/17/2007

This was the third Volvo I have owned, have had nothing but great experiences in the past. Love the look and drive of this car, have had all maintenance performed on time at the dealership. This dealership's service dept. is ranked #1 in the country, now i know why, you see the folks there so much they get to be family. Have spent over $7,000 on repairs since I have owned the car, expensive replacements like the srs control unit, the abs control unit, the fire box (?), not to mention the usual wear and tear items. A car of this supposed quality that has been maintained exactly as recommended with the number of miles i have put on it should not have these types of problems - never again Volvo.

S80-T6

paulin, 04/21/2002

Overall the car is a great ride when it is working properly. I have had several problems w/ the suspension and struts and it has been a pain to fix since I purchased the vehicle in Baton Rouge and I live in New Orleans. The local dealership puts you at the end of the line to get anything repaired since the vehicle was not purchased there. This vehicle is overpriced and I would not recommend buying a new Volvo.

Poor Engine Performance

lbyers, 10/20/2008

My 2000 S-80 has 87,00 miles on it. I purchased it in Oct of 2000 with 18,000 miles on it. The computer was replaced about 2 years later and thats when the problems started. My car was never the same. Now I am having problems with the mass air flow sensor. Every 6 months it needs replaced. Yet when the remove the code from the computer, it runs fine for about 2 weeks. And now it is starting to have electrical issues, in addition to eating head and tail lights.

Wish we'd read the reviews first

Mrs. D, 10/18/2008

Loved the car overall but our '94 Jeep Cherokee with 230k miles is more dependable. After several repairs of one kind or another, she started hesitating. Trusted mechanic said it was throttle body covered by extended warranty so take it to them for free replacement. Local dealer charged $100 for diagnostic and said it needed $3000 head gasket. Not so local dealer charged $100 for diagnostic and said it needed a $2300 head gasket. Car currently sitting at trusted mechanic's lot waiting for retired Volvo mechanic who agrees it's the throttle body to come fix it. It's been 5 months. Tomorrow we're buying a Lexus.

Run!

shade56, 12/29/2008

Purchased this car for our daughter. Volvo=safe and reliable ,right? Wrong! This car had it's 60k check up before we purchased. One owner, immaculate care, extended warranty so every squeak was addressed and car had 59k on it. Took it in for timing chain replacement (knew it would be considerable), but two days before, ABS, check engine, dipped beam messages popped up, and the passenger window refused to roll up the last inch. Well, the dealer that gave the car a clean bill of health 4 mo. ago, now says it is going to take $7,000 to fix. Are you kidding me? Says our best bet is to trade it in...they will give us $3,500 for it. Oh, Ford owns Volvo now.

Do not buy this car

bruce, 03/04/2009

Bought this car new. What a piece of junk. Interior fell apart had to be reupholstered. At 50000 miles the head gasket blew $3,000 fix.Other problems to numerous to list est. repair costs at 60000 miles - $10,000.Just trying to save someone else the same mistake.

LUXURY WITH POWER

mrsly, 05/18/2002

A great car. Accelerates on the fly...Quite, awesome sound system...Very comfortable on long trips.....A great overall value.

Best first car.

BLKBLT1991, 03/17/2009

I bought my s80 for $2000.00 and it's been a been a better car than the cars that my friends bought for over $8000. I love the car. It's a little bit expensive but it's soo durable. I don't know why people think it's so crappy. It can destroy audis and mercedes. My father a certified auto mechanic and car body specialist and helps me maintain the car. It's performance is amazing if you know how to drive.

Don't buy

ACT, 05/20/2009

Worst car I've ever owned by far. Great ride when I'm not spending money on transmission, wheel bearings, rattling moon roof, rotors, etc . . . Stay away.

NO MORE VOLVO

Dash, 07/31/2009

I wish i had done my research before I bought this 2000 S80T. It's been nothing but trouble. I loved the look of the car in simply NOT RELIABLE. Volvo are very pricey cars for them to be so unreliable. I had to replace so many things and i've always maintained it so well and always dealer maintained. but i'm done with this company

Great car for your money!!!

IanRomines, 09/11/2009

I guess with all cars you get bad ones and good ones. Mine was a good one I cant believe I can drive a luxury Vehicle for less than $8000. I have never sat in a seat so comfortable in this Volvo. You have so much power it feels like you can do anything. It surprises me that cars were this stylish in the mid 2000s its like nothing else on the road. I love my Volvo and will keep it for a very long time.

Poor Man's Luxury Import Sedan

The Big Guy, 06/12/2002

First import in our garage. Great to drive, reliable, scheduled maintenance only. When you compare standard/optional features, price and comfort against BMW, Mercedes and Lexus the S80 beats them hands down. Bought the car because I'm 6' 6", 320# and it was the only thing other than a domestic boat I could fit in to. Glad I did. Outstanding ride, city or highway.

If You're a DRIVER, you'll love this car

Salesman, 06/14/2002

I am on the road 150 nights/year. This is by far the best road car I've ever owned. Bought it with 10,000 mi on it and have never had a regret. Only in the shop for scheduled maintenance. I thought the 30K check was a bit pricey... Not many improvements to make; and it's sure fun to show the BMW's (3's and 5's) your taillights on the expressways! Only the M series' can beat you.

i love my volvo... so far

Ratna, 02/10/2010

I see all the negative reviews on the volvo. i recently just purchased my volvo with 136000 miles. my volvo is in great shape. my leather seats are in great condition, no tears, rips, my radio, heated memory seats, sunroof and all features still work. im not sure if the previous owner of this car just took really good care of it or what but so far i love this car. i have since i drove it the first time. i would never have even looked at a volvo in the past, but so far my experience has been wonderful. we will see in a year if i have any major issues.

A lot of hype

judy spiegel, 06/19/2002

Had problems from Day 1. My first S80 T6 had to be shipped back to Sweden for diagnosis. On the replacement,the sight lines are so bad that these are dangerous; there is not a blind "spot," there is a right blind side. Transmission doesn't always shift properly; it sometimes reverses when it says "drive," parks when it says "reverse," etc. And the car shakes when one goes from 0 to 5 on a dry surface! (Like pulling out of a red light.) The doors do not close tightly. All in all, a lot of hype.

No problems here

happy camper, 07/26/2002

I bought my 2000 model at the end of 99. I have only had routine maintenance visits. Great accelaration, good handling (love the STC), and the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. The transmission has a kink shifting from 2nd to 3rd (it clunks under hard driving) and their is a driver side squak under the chassis. The audio system is awesome and it is great in snow or rain.

51050