Used 2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used S80 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...14

Pros
Cons

2000 S80 Wont buy another

RGrabber, 11/14/2002

This car is expensive to maintain which I anticipated upon purchase. what I didn't anticipate was the amount of maintinance. The electrical system is forever causing problems, I estiamte that I have had 6 bulbs replaced by the dealer and I have replace fuses at least 15 times. The stabilizer (at least that's what the dealer called them) seem to need replacement every 20,000 miles my next replacement (needed now) is outside the warranty. It may look better than previous Volvos but it isn't built better. I'll not replace this one with another Volvo.

Some flaws, and not again

FirstS80T6, 11/24/2002

I have several complaints about this car. First of all, the 17-inch upgraded tires are not suitable for any winter driving in the Northeast. I learned this the hard way. Second, driving with the windows and sunroof open will cause the rear view mirror to shake very violently at 60mph. Third, maintenance and autobody works are extremely expensive. It costs me over $700 to replace a cracked headlight! Routine maintenance services were over $200 each visit. Fourth, the suspension and the steering are too soft for my liking. Last, the visibility is very poor. For the amount of money, it is not worth it, and I will definitely not buy the S80 again.

Overall good ownership experience

DaveF, 12/11/2002

Generally a pleasure to own (lease) and drive. Dependable all-weather vehicle. Love the twin turbos, combined w/ an excellent manual gear selection mode. Exterior styling, as well as the quality of paint/trim, is excellent. Interior fit/finish is just o.k. Disappointed by fake wood molding & squeeky interior panels.

Money-sucking disaster

anosmic, 01/28/2003

Only a repair shop could bear to own this vehicle, and then only if they had infinite access to free replacement parts. I haven't had the personal resolve to total up the repair bills we have had on this car, conservatively $15000 in less than 4 years. The design crew Volvo hired for this car were definitely in way over their heads, unless they are getting a cut on the repair bills from the Volvo shops.

Good Car to Drive

Jose, 10/10/2005

I purchased my first Volvo 280 as a certified pre-owned in September 2003. I had a few small gliches at the beggining of my ownership which have been fixed by the dealer at no cost, namely problems had to do with rough idle, and system required maintenance. For the last year the car has performed excellently with just normal maintenance performed

Volvo wears out

Jim, 09/16/2006

I bought mine used at 28,000 and have put only 14,000 on each of the last two years. At 56,000 miles the transmission went and the quote from Volvo was $3,500 to fix. since it was just past the 50,000 mile warranty Volvo offered no assistance and they lowballed the value of the trade-in, even though I was offering to buy a 2006 S80. Based on the unreliability of the car and the atitude of Volvo this was the first and only Volvo my family will be owning.

Safety Factor

tsdero, 09/29/2006

I have been rear ended twice now in this car, once with 400 miles and just recently. Both times the other driver's airbags went off and I was fine. The car absorbed all of the impact. In fact, this second time, my purse didn't even come off the front seat. The officers said that it would have been any other car, the trunk would have been in my rear seat. I'll buy another just for the saftey factor.

Scrap at 75,000 miles

r_brian, 12/06/2012

Front a arms replaced, timing belt, and now the fly wheel became toothless. Two thousand to fix this item and the value of these cars is gone.

Great Car To Drive To the Shop

Sportscarnut, 04/23/2005

In a period of 18 months the following failed: ignition switch, oxygen sensor, mass flow meter, motor mount, upper strut mount, headlight assembly, brake rotors, ABS control unit, turn signal assembly, turbo oil return line, front strut assemblies (2), door trim piece, turbo oil seals, etc. It also had a nasty habit of throwing black brake dust from the front rotors down the side of the car. The really bad part is that if it had been even somewhat realiable, this would be an unbelieveable car. It is nice to look at, very comfortable, relatively easy to work on, and it is very cheap on the used market (probably due to the horrible reliability).

Volvo S80 2000

S80volvo, 01/17/2003

When shopping for a new vehicle, the choose of models included BMW 5, 300E Mercedes, and the STS Cadillac. At 6'2" the Volvo was the most comfortable and provided front wheel drive. Along with a cheaper price tag.

12345...14