Used 2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used S80 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...14

Pros
Cons

Failed Transmission

joesmith7, 09/16/2012

Bought the car new in 2000, owned it for 12 years and put 126k miles on it. Car was running fine with no problems until about 112k when a pipe fitting on the radiator cracked and ruined the radiator. At 126k the transmission ripped itself apart. Got 3 separate transmissions put in and all 3 of them broke immediately. Either scraping the car or buying a new trans to put in, either way I've put a lot of money into it. And the gas mileage sucked, 14-15 city is unacceptable.

Great interior/drive, spotty reliability

Robert, 01/28/2009

I bought this car in July of '08 with 74K miles on it and was given a 3 month warranty from the dealer. I noticed the transmission slipping noticeably almost immediately and took it in to the dealer, as I've read these cars have transmission problems. It was covered by the warranty and replaced for free. I've also had the front brake pads and rotors replaced and the cruise control works sporadically. The interior is stylish and extremely comfortable, and the drive is great. Plenty of power. I would tell anyone in the market for a 2000 and later S80 to be careful when looking. Make sure the car is in good shape. If it's been treated well, there shouldn't be too many problems.

The Worst Car Ever!

Bowman, 05/07/2008

We bought the 2000 model after threatening our dealer with a lemon law suit for the 1999 model we purchased 60 days prior. Dealer took the car back at full refund and offered us the 2000 model for a "deal". I wish they would have just kicked us in the head. Two ABS modules, engine struts, 3 radios, 3+ software upgrades, bi-annual computer resets (the kind that required a shuttle to and from work), two extended warranties (paid for themselves in six months), suspension problems. I would estimate the maintenance cost for this car have exceeded $20k. If it was a plane or a boat we would be dead. I thought Volvo Corp. could be trusted to release a product complete.

I think I like this car???

Tlover, 08/17/2009

Ok, so after being in a bad accident I found this car and LOVED how it drove. This car did leave me stranded on a roadtrip, which was the result of a blown transmission....that cost a fortune! Other than the tranny disaster, I must say the car has actually been a pretty great car. It rides very smooth and is freakin fast! I have smoked many Bimmers and Audi's in this. Tiptronic is alot of fun. Front end assembly seems to have alot of problems too. Overall I think I still do like this car. Currently has 95k miles

Saddened by Volvo

JDavis, 11/24/2009

This has been a disappointment since the day we bought it. We have currently spent more on repairs than we did on the car and are planning another trip back this weekend. I am looking at trading it in, but trying to find out if there is a dealer who would take this mess. My advice would be to investigate any Volvo you plan to purchase and avoid the 2000 S80 like the plague it is.

Air Bags

mecop186, 12/23/2009

Two weeks ago we had a snow storm here in Maine (go figure). Well I got stuck in a driveway. Couldn't get out to save my life! After trying for 40 minutes, I was so pi**ed off, I put my S80 T6 in "Park", got out and slammed the drivers door. I heard a "POoof" sound and, when I turned around, it truly looked like I had installed venetian blinds! The "Side Curtains" went off! Ripped the stitching out of the left "Lumbar" support, split the leather, left a 7" tear in the headliner and I now have foam EVERYWHERE the eye can see! Estimates range from $2,000 to $6,000. I'll be taking it to the mid-range guys. They were very intrigued about the door slamming setting off the air bags.

Don't buy

S80T6, 01/14/2010

Fast and good gas mileage. Absolutely terrible reliability. Many expensive suspension problems. Power window motors fail commonly and are expensive to repair. Averaging over $1200/year in repair costs plus normal maintenance. A real lemon

quality of plastic parts is very poor

rosarockville, 03/24/2010

Agreed with other review that after 5 yrs the parts started falling apart. The repair labor charge is awfully high. Even one $50 plastic parts would need 6 to 8 hours labor to replace it. The dealer claimed that those parts are very difficult to reach. I like my volvo car but the repairing charges definitively will make me re-consider for having Volvo for my next car. Now, every time, I can not have my car back from the shop without paying $1300 - $2300. They just told me the oil trap needs to be replaced which got replaced 2 yrs ago, and it costs a little more than $1000.

Has the worst interior!

msC, 05/17/2010

I agree with previous reviews about the maintenance, every time I took it for maintenance was $300 or more. The leather has cracked and the door and window panels has totally come apart. Had window tint done at dealership it literally shrunk, they guaranteed it but when went to dealer, states they don't used that company any more and I need to find someone to replace it.

Not so Reliable after all

Ian, 07/10/2010

I had always heard Volvo's were reliable Safe cars and I came across one and decided to buy it because it was a good value for that price. It's really the most luxurious vehicle you can get for the price. There were many issues from the start for me. First the interior started to fall apart and that wasn't any fun because the prices for parts are ridiculous. Eventually my entire motor blew because Volvo decided that A plastic radiator hose was appropriate for a $55,000 vehicle and it broke off and blew the entire engine. Basically It is a very nice, fun, comfortable car to drive, but it is not worth it for the horrible reliability and price of parts that comes with the ownership of this car.

12345...14