Used 2003 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Don't buy this piece of junk
By Sergio

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this piece of junk ,...bad idea... I pay around $3k for it , first months feels good, sounds good and then just start with problems.. every single time you will pay ridiculous prices for parts replacements, and finally this piece of junk has timing belt connected Whit water pump ,so if for some reason timing belt fails or water pump stop, you will need new engine!!! Don't buy it.. pass and drive safe..

I would DEFINITELY buy another Volvo S60 ANYDAY!!
By Chase

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My 2003 Volvo S60 is the 2nd out of the best cars I have ever owned,other than my Beamer, that I can honestly say I would buy another one in a heart beat. THIS CAR SAVED MY LIFE!! I bought it with 125,000 on it never had major engine problems or transmission, except for a little slip every now and then. It was exspensive to fix but it was so worth the performance, handing, smooth ride, and most of all the safety. Everything about this car was great. I would recommend this for anyone, especially for a teenager or new driver. I wrecked this car and flipped it 4 times and then slammed into a tree on the driver side. I walked away with a seatbelt mark on my kneck and didn't even need to go to the hospital. After this wreck my car was fully intact with all trim, headlights and tailights, and the front and rear bumper. The only damaged was all the windows were busted and the top was dented as well as the doors.. The frame of this vechile saved my life. The frame stayed fully in place without any damaged at all. AMAZING. They engineered this car perfectly and I would sell my BMW (which I bought this Volvo after I had my BMW and currently still driving the Beamer) and buy another Volvo if I didn't love it so much. 100% recommend a Volvo if your looking to buy one!!!

Great Reliable car but transmission sucks
By Andres

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car from a previous owner in 2008 (Volvo S60 2003 T5 FWD), I've had it since 2016 so far and now will be going into 2017. Transmission problems are several in this car sadly as I was hoping it would last until 300,000 miles (Only at 180000 miles) although maybe frequent transmission fluid changes may have allowed the car to last longer as my fluid is now black and burnt smelling(Volvo's "Life Time Fluid" don't believe it" ) I've wanted to change the fluid for the tranny a few years ago but my dad insisted not to because volvo said so as I wasn't very knowledgeable about cars at the time I was array of doing anything I've should have done it anyway. Will be driving it until the transmission goes out (maybe next year or 2 years from now but who knows, Park to Drive Delay, Slipping, Clunking, Hard Downshifts, sometimes bangs when turning etc... works fine when cold but problems occur when hot so tranny may just be overheating, cold works like when I first bought it) Now for the good about the car, the car is a-bit slow to accelerate from a stop but it does go fast about 0-100 within 6 seconds( Electronically controlled is to blame, mechanically controlled would have been better) but none the less it's a good car to drive. It's very comfortable inside but the rear seats passengers typically need the front seats to be pulled up a-bit to be a little more comfortable. My car had the premium package with leather seating, etc... but the premium stereo system is an amazing piece of work, the sound is truly lovely, although this car has a wonderful stereo system the only way to utilize it, with the CD Player, Got an aftermarket adapter for AUX etc.. then it broke so just spent about $900 dollers for a aftermarket stereo which was worth it. It came with all the nice features of a modern car of power locks, power windows, rear window defroster(no wiper which looks much nicer in my opinion), and a nice little garage opener button. The steering is a-little different, the turns are really wide then the other cars I've drove almost feels like a Pickup Truck when turning but it's still good. It has anti skid system which was pretty good when it was raining or snowing really helped when I was slipping. Had a problem with headlights blowing very 4-6 months, ended up just getting Aftermarket HID bulbs and they haven't blown for 2 years and they look really nice for $100 dollars well worth the money of spending around $15 CAD very few months on halogen bulbs; I've searched the internet and spoke to mechanic experts for electronics in cars and Volvo dealers they had no idea so the only solution was to get aftermarket bulbs. Overall the car is still an amazing piece of work, hopefully it'll last a few more years, this is my second car (I'm 19 haha) and it has treated me very well and I felt very safe and comfortable in this car and have rode it outside the country many times without any problems arising it was a very reliable car it will be missed when it goes. I'd buy other Volvo when I'm more financially stable but the Chinese have bought out the automotive department of Volvo and I've heard their are many problems with the transmissions on newer Volvo's so I'm gonna steer clear until they make a car as good as this one.

A wolf in sheep's clothing
By Herb M

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought mine used with 155K. Solid traction and road handling. Great in the snow. Peppy and powerful. Love the body style. Best looking sedan on the road! Fun to drive.
It's a sensible 4dr. sedan... that can do 0-60 in under 7 seconds and can cruise down the autobahn at over 150 mph!
After fixing some common S60 problems (ie; creaking/clunking front strut mounts and sway bar end links) the car drives like new again. I have done some minor upgrades like poly bushings, engine mounts, and chassis braces which have noticeably improved the soft/squishy handling.
I like the stereo, the triptonic shifting, comfortable (front) seats, and power most of all.

Most problems & expensive repairs I've ever experienced
By buddynbrandy

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car in the hopes it would last a long time. Acceleration sensor went out, the car wouldnt move at take off. About got me killed. $250-$300 to repair. Transmission has slipped since I bought it at 4 years old in 2007. It's getting worse, all fluids, etc have been checked, I have taken excellent care of this car, maint. etc. I heard a strange clanking noise, come to find out, I needed a drive shaft, which was $1400.00 to repair. I have to sell this thing to keep from having to spend thousands on a new transmission. I noticed that it's using more gas as time goes on. Never again. I get sick to stomach. Don't buy one, go honda or toyota... Warning: Money Pit!

Comfy, love the leather & beautiful body style.

Fix transmission problems.