Used 2002 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

It's from 2002, what did you expect?
By Grant Shoffstall

2002 Volvo S60 2.4T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

So I'm writing this review from a new drivers perspective. This was my first car, and I still drive it. One thing people need to understand about this car is that it's an old luxury vehicle. Most old luxury vehicles aren't built for long term use. They're built to be driven off the lot for two years to be returned to the dealership so the owners can get a new lease. I'm so thankful Volvo doesn't fit into this category. This car is an absolute tank. You can go to hell and back with this vehicle and not only will you be safe, but your vehicle will be able to run on as well. I've been driving this think with a broken transmission for 3 years. Let me repeat that. This thing still drives with a malfunctioned transmission. This car is durable and it will stand the test of time. As long as you keep up on maintenance and aren't an idiot, this will be the most reliable vehicle you've ever owned. (P.S. to the guy who was having trouble driving in the snow; Have you heard of snow tires?)

Love this car to death
By Grant

2002 Volvo S60 2.4T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a perfect car! Whether for an adult or for a teenager. We bought our car new in 2002 and it currently has 211k miles on it and it's still going strong. It currently has gone through three batteries(live in midwest with plenty of snow), one transmission and no other issues. (these aren't true issues just general maintenance stuff when its driven by two teenagers and myself. It has plenty of power to push through the Colorado snow and has wonderful handling. Great interior design for 2002 and it has plenty of tech that rivals with simple 2017 cars like the Ford focus. Sweden did well with this car. (i don't​ remember the price for the car so i just guessed)

313 k and still go in'...
By Jm

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Bought it with 34k has 313 now !

Can't afford to keep this car
By Rachel Morris

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Before I bought this car I was warned that Volvos were expensive to fix, but was assured by a Volvo owner I knew that his mechanic was great and not too pricey. Great! It was a good deal, $5,200 for a cute looking car with only 60-some thousand miles on it-- leather, sunroof, great looking Carfax... This was in 2014. Two and a half years later... I wish I'd gotten a Toyota or Honda. The few mechanics in my city that specialize in Volvos/European cars are always busy-- so busy they don't even pick up their phones... What does that say about Volvo reliability?? Driving it home I noticed a loud, scary rattle... the exhaust pipe was falling off! Plus the engine was gunked up. Got all that fixed... Fan motor on A/C developed an annoying chirp. $$$. Oil changes were pricey. Brakes needed replacing sooner than expected... outrageously expensive!!! Bulbs ALWAYS going out. Then it developed a gas smell so strong that I couldn't park the car in the garage because the house would smell like gas! Had it looked at by 2 diff mechanics... one couldn't figure out the problem, the other wanted $350 just to do the work to diagnose. One of the mechanics told me he thought the transmission would go out soon too! Replaced a part myself, didn't fix the gas issue... Finally said screw it, I'm getting rid of this thing. So only 30,000 miles later, I've sold it for $1,100... and I feel sorry for the person getting it.

Safety at a price
By Steven Brown

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Car was safe and solid, but repairs were frequent and costly. It is not a bargain to own, though it gets good mileage and is cheap to insure, because it was always in the shop! From the start, there were a lot of small problems with the car, from transmission issues, stalls, and starting problems to electrical issues. It is my first and my last Volvo.

It is gone now. I had it 15 years and the engine, interior, and body were still in good shape, but after many problems with the electrical system and transmission, and engine trouble from a failed vacuum hose, when most of the suspension needed replacement, it had to go. Replaced with something other than a Volvo.