Used 2004 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews

Used S40 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
1...5678910

Pros
Cons

Great car

Joseph Agiato, 10/09/2006

My wife and I think this is one of the best cars we have ever owned.

2 Years Later I STILL Love it!!

Restongal, 10/10/2006

Okay I have had this car over two years and have done some serious driving, at just over 42,000 miles I've driven in most every weather condition and this car has passed with flying colors through all of them. I was stuck in a major snow storm in Maine, put the car in "winter mode" and had no problem driving where many others had to pull over. The 2.4 has plenty of get up and go, and I love the looks it gets from others, I have had several people stop and ask me about it. It handles well and corners darn good with no fishtailing, which I am sure the stability control is responsible for. I recomend this car highly!!!

Good Car

Darc, 02/19/2007

This is a good car to own... but like any car - should be maintained... this can be expensive. Replaced the brakes at 60K, thermostat at 95K, otherwise just routine stuff... love to drive it every day.

Not sure I would buy another one

Paul, 03/05/2007

I really enjoy the way this car handles and drives. However, I have had a lot of mechanical problems. As a result, it has been in the shop more than any car I have ever owned. The transmission sometimes kicks hard when it shifts and the dealer keeps telling me this is normal. This car gets pretty bad ratings from Consumer Reports, something I wish I would have checked before buying. My warranty will run out soon and I will definitely trade it when when it does. I doubt I will buy another Volvo because of the mechanical issues. My wife's Toyota is much more reliable and more than likely I will trade my car for a Toyota when the time comes.

Fun, Fun, Fun!

RYan, 05/30/2007

We are finishing up our 3-year lease on this car and have loved driving it. We have all options including upgraded stereo, leather, htd seats, etc. and it is a blast to drive. We have owned a few Volvos in the past (240, 850) and this one is by far the coolest (beats the stodgy S60 and S80 designs by a mile). It is peppy, even our 2.4i, gets good mileage, 32/22, and handles great, even in the snow. We are in MN and had two major storms this year. I popped the car in manual mode and plowed right out of 1-foot snow drifts, while our Camry bottomed out and got stuck several times. Great car.

Traded 2000 S40 for 2004 S40

Mark Gray, 05/31/2003

I just traded my 2000 S40 for a 2004 S40. The dealer and the automobile are 1st Class. The small things I did not like about my 2000 such as location of window and mirror controls and cup holders have been improved greatly. The car also has a 5 speed automatic now and is much smoother and quiter. Some slight body changes make the car better than the 2000 model. A great car has been made almost perfect! Perfect would require about 200HP and 200lbs.ft. torque.

Great Car!

TravisScher, 06/24/2003

The volvo S40 is really a great value. It has a very luxurios feel to the inside and and a european style outside. It performs very nicely and I have no complaints.

Great Car

Bristol, 06/25/2003

I have owned Volvos for years and this is a great car with wonderful comfort for the front seat driver and passenger - plenty of legroom and quiet well appointed interior. Wonderful pickup and braking. Everything seems to work as advertised. A very practical and fun to drive car.

Great car for my used car budget

JRGILLESPIE, 04/02/2008

I owned a 94 850 wagon and loved it, then I saw this one for sale at a lot. So far it's great. I love the eye catching "Virtual Blue" color. The turbo is great and it's got good pick- up. My $11k went far and I know this car will last me just like my last one did. I love the aggressive look of the front end and the rims. My complaints are like most everyone else's...the radio is ridiculous. The knobs to control the presets are just awkward. A "popping" trunk release would have been nice as well. I rated reliability at an 8 but I haven't had the car long. I base this on previous Volvo experience.

1...5678910