Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews - 592 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

I wish!
By Greg Cate

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Amazing SUV, I would love to own several for my whole family!

Like a pretty woman - with serious mental issues
By rob worth

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this used about 2 months ago - 79k, $5500.. It seemed like a great deal for a $35k suv. Acceleration / Transmission seem to not "communicate" with each other. I do not know if it wants to go or slow down. There is a disconnect between what the driver whats to do, and what the car actually does. I took it in for a tune up- as i do w/ all my used cars. $500- not too bad. Then some drive shaft support broke, $500 more. Ok- I usually plan on putting double into what I pay for a used car- hey, they are used.. but, little things are starting to pop up. Like mentioned by other users. This reminds me of my old BMW X5 - MONEY PIT waiting to happen. I will probably try to broom it onto some other unsuspecting person, that did not do their homework, like i did not do mine. I think I an just going to stick with Subarus now.. Well built, and few issues.

Just hand over your paycheck
By ProudYotaownernow

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This was a beautiful car, fun to drive until it had issues. You need deep pockets and a love for VW to repair this thing. I feel once the first thing went wrong it fell apart. I should have listened to my mechanic and avoided this vehicle. I was told this was the worst model made. I felt compelled to let others buyers know, it's not worth the head ache. Buyer beware. Look at another vehicle if you know what is best for you.

Cayenne Killer
By Neil

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This specific Touareg is the best model VW has produced. VW placed a lot of focus on the engine and transmission however, not so much on the electronics. I am a trained mechanic with certifications from FORD, GM, and Land Rover. I am able to fix most problems of my wife's Touareg however there are somethings that are beyond me unless I have the VAGCOM diagnostic software. Most mechanical issues are few and far between but the electrical are numerous. I have had memory issues with seating, security system (key fob, rear door, alarm, headlights). This vehicle is not for everyone unless you earn a $100,000 a year or more. The cost of the parts are overwhelmingly expensive, almost super car prices. The performance may not compete with the BMW X6 but it will outrun a Porsche Cayenne or any turbo diesel on the road. I personally have taken the vehicle upto 120mph and didn't realize it. Very stable in the turns and the straights. Surefooted in the snow and rain but ice is ice, no guarantees there.

wish i had read this first
By C R Carter

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Recently bought a 2004 Touareg with just over 100k miles, and against my better judgement, did not do my due dilligence in having a used vehicle checked out. And oh boy am I paying the price for that. Hands down DO NOT PURCHASE WITHOUT CHECKING WITH CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN FIRST FIRST FIRSt. Now , to be totally fair, I do believe the one I had purchased most likely wasn't kept up according to manufacturer suggestions. Just don't think that you're going to be buying a reliable japanese car. I mean, it's big and solid, didn't show signs of any leaks, no out of the ordinary noises, that was only for one day. The very next day, all HELL broke loose. Car stopped on me 3 times within 10 miles, then the very next day, quit on me completely on side of the road with my kids aboard at night. So the saying BUYER BEWARE, applies to this model