Used 2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used R32 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Never too old to have fun

Doc J, 05/13/2010

At 60+ I'm probably not the usual R32 driver but it's been my daily ride for nearly 6 years. I drive it hard and love it. Reliability has been good other than for major transmission repairs at 35,000 and 65,000 miles along with clutch replacements at the same time. I don't think I drive THAT hard, but maybe I push it harder than the average driver. I've heard that AWD vehicles a hard on their drive trains because their wheels can't slip to release strain. Other than that issue a wheel bearing at 70,000 and an instrument cluster replacement under warranty have been the only other major repairs. I've yet to replace the brakes (maybe that's why I have worn out the clutches!)

I love my 2004 R32

dpod4, 07/16/2012

I bought my R32 brand new in 2004 after test driving much more expensive cars. Nothing compared. I have owned my car 8 years. I have pampered it (garaged in the winter, park it like it is a Ferrari, etc) and it looks brand new (kudos to VW for the Tornado Red paint holding up like it is showroom condition 8 years later). I have not had one problem with it -- most trouble free car I have owned (compared to more expensive cars I have owned from BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Acura). And, more than any car (Lexus SC400 comes in a close second, and Toyota MR2 a distant third), this BY FAR is the most fun car I have owned. Hard to describe, but 8 years later, I am more elated than day bought.

goin' on 6 years

Nobama, 03/22/2010

This has been a fun car to drive for 103,000 miles so far. With snow on the ground and winter tires, it is an absolute blast. Reliability has been good, needing just a wheel bearing and fuel pump so far. Of all the cars I have owned, this is by far the most all around fun to drive.

The SIngle Best Car You Never Knew About

Kyle, 03/01/2010

My current Deep Blue Pearl 2004 R32, is actually my SECOND. In between, I drove a 2005 Audi S4 with a 344hp V-8 under it's hood. I missed my 250hp (yes it DID HAVE 250 stock) uber-hatch. What can a person POSSIBLY FIND to complain about with this car, except perhaps the limited rear-seat legroom? It's faster (w simple tuning) than the Audi, has an Audi engine, Audi AWD, will stop faster than 99.9% of ALL CARS, will handle until YOU QUIT and comes with nearly all the luxury features the S4 did ( & some extra), plus it's the only VW to be built by Porsche in Slovakia. 5,000 autobahn-intended machines imported at American journalists behest for the U.S. ONLY. FAST, FUN, PRACTICAL... GERMAN.

All Around Epic

Dubsanator, 08/28/2010

I purchased the vehicle at a great price because it had a lot of miles on it, I have been driving it ever since i bought it and wouldn't trade it for the world. I work at a dealership and I've driven my share of cars, this one takes the cake as the most fun car I have ever driven. Period. Everything about it screams amazing, the look, the styling, the epic exhaust sound, the amazing handling, the peppy speed, the smooth six speed gearbox, and last but surely not the end or least, the epic brakes. All around this car is a great buy, coming with numerous interior features that barely come standard on your common exensive BMW. Like I said, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Deep Blue Pearl R32

Ty, 11/25/2015
2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Ok, so I bought this car off of its original adult owner with 99k on it. I had been searching patiently for about 2 years for one at the right price, condition and mileage. This one fit the bill so we negotiated a deal. After owning the car myself now for 3 years, the R has not disappointed. I love the engine growl, the handling, the seats, etc... Fuel mileage: 20mpg city 27hwy have been my averages. I must say that going from an Audi A6 Quattro to an R32 was a drastic change. I do occasionally miss the ride and space the Audi provided, but love the superior braking and overall aggressive driving nature of the R32. The VW R now has 130k on the odo and uses no oil between the 8k mile oil changes. The interior has held up beautifully.

70,000+ miles and still in love!

zmoney, 06/08/2008

This is my daily driver and I couldn't have picked a better car. I was looking at an STI or Evo about 3yrs ago, but then I found the R32 at a great price. You'll love it. I get 22/29 city/highway and you'll have more than enough get up and go to zip in and out of traffic. The seats are great, but they might be a tight fit for a larger person. Everyone loves the sound of the exhaust of course. The look of this car is great, but at the same time it's not a cop magnet which is always a plus. Test drive the 2004 model and you'll be hooked! It won't be mine however as she'll die with me. :) If you do buy one please take it to the track at least once. You'll thank me later.

VW still needs to go to finishing school

Snarly VW, 05/10/2007

When I bought the car used with 25K miles, I checked the service history with my VW dealer and found out that it already had a replaced alternator, water pump, and one other component they couldn't determine. I started having rear drive problems after I bought it. Found out the Haldex unit was toast and was replaced under warranty. Although handling was excellent, the car was overweight and the AWD didn't fully compensate. Interior had the same groans and moans as my previous '03 Anniverary Edition GTI. The Ann. Edition was a better value for the money. Overall, the R32 provides a rewarding experience, but the premium is high, and reliability is a hit and miss proposition.

3 year's ownership - my second favorite

ESSDEEKAY, 12/04/2007

Other than a 2003 Porsche, this R32 has been my favorite of the dozen cars (mostly European) I have owned the last 30 years. It is uber-practical and has as much performance as I need. I run it stock, other than the snow tires I switch to in winter months. Really pleased at the high resale value retained by this limited production car. Only "problem" I have experienced is an ocassional false "loose fuel cap" warning when the gas tank runs low. Low maintenance costs (relative to BMW/Porsche/Audi) has been a very pleasant bonus - less than half the amount of my other cars.

pocket rocket on steroids

GTI_TCK, 01/29/2004

the best gti ever!

Alright, just not the best

HipHop, 05/14/2004

I am a little dissapointed, on the test drive the car seemed great, after putting on 2k miles it is already losing it's appeal to me, feels just like a golf, only slightly quicker - I'll most likely sell it and get an EVO - my other deciding factor to dump it is that two of my close friends have EVO's and they absolutely blow the doors off this thing, handling, and acceleration - time for an EVO

RAWRRR

BlackbirdR32, 06/27/2016
2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I love my R32. Second owner, picked up @ $36K in December 2007. Fallen in love with it the first time it came out but couldn't afford an additional car payment was I was still paying off my GTi VR6. Once the funds were available, I quickly searched and found my BMP R32. I love then and I love it now as it does not fail to put a smile on my face @ WOT. I don't want another car and I am thinking of just "refreshing" the car and replace whatever wear and tear parts I need to. My R32 will remain an N/A and I will keep it as long as I can.

still loving it =)

GrandPaDriver, 01/19/2009

Just do the schedule service needed, and the car will give you no problem. You might need some tuning & modification for the car to run as you expected to be. You will fall in love with it once you drive it. =)

WHAT A CAR!!!

psyopgod, 12/05/2004

All around best car I've owned in 30 years of driving. My advice: GET ONE! Oh Wait - there aren't that many left. Well - good luck. FUN FUN FUN!!

vw r32 is cool

misskrypto1, 12/09/2004

If you are looking for a vehicle with comfort and luxury amenities, but you just want a little more exicitement and enough speed to toast most cars on the road, then the R32 is the perfect vehicle! If i wanted to be a racecar driver everyday and try and race every car that pulled of next to me at lights and go to tracks all the time, I would have gone with the subaru or the mitsubishi, but in my opinion those two cars are ugly and have no style inside or out. The R on the otherhand has a little bit of both worlds... style, and speed. AND, there is only a select group of people that own them as opposed to other cars that are just mass produced. :)

LAZARO, 01/06/2005

I've had several VWs, but this R32 is by far the best i have ever owned.

Outrageous

R Schalit, 02/03/2005

My 2004 Volkswagen R32 does everything superbly and has extremely high performance limits. It has a silky smooth power delivery, outstanding handling, a great 6-speed shifter, amazing brakes, comfy seats, a great steering wheel, and wonderful fit and finish with luxury touches. It is a comfortable daily driver with slot car performance. This car is not a "boy racer," but a true wolf-in-sheep's clothing, a sophisticated powerhouse. Its neutral point n' shoot handling lets you push hard into the turns. I recomend this car to every driver serious about getting world class performance in a user-friendly package. I'm selling my BMW!

Great Car

mattieo96, 02/11/2005

The 2004 Volkswagen R32 is a great car to drive and it's built very well. You feel safe in it and you feel like it will be there for a while. I would recomend this car to anyone.

2004 Volkswagen R32

rob, 02/15/2005

The Volkswagen R32 is an excellent vehicle. The only major issues that I have had with it are the lack of a facotory turbo option, the rims are too heavy, and the car needs HIDs.

Functional Fun

BigWoo, 02/17/2005

I was hoping for a less expensive vehicle, but the test drive of my 2004 Volkswagen R32 sold me. The car rides like it's on rails even when I punch it, but has a nice refinement to it as well. I'm driving it in the winter in the Finger Lake area right now, and it handles better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee in the snow! However, I can't wait to pop the summer wheels back on and open up the windows and throttle! It's sporty but classy, fast but not furious. Even though I was looking for a smaller car payment, I still get giddy every time I sit behind the wheel. I would highly recommend this car without any reservations. If you want Golf fuel efficiency however, stick with the TDI.

Sporty with seating for four and a trunk

Jackson, 05/27/2005

I bought the 2004 Volkswagen R32 after taking home a Mazda RX-8 and a Nissan 350Z. I loved both of them, but they each had their drawbacks, the Wankel engine in the RX- 8 and no storage and no back seat in the 350Z. The R32 fit the bill of what I was looking for in a car. The AWD paired up with the 3.2L V6 make this car thoroughly enjoyable. I drive a lot, and this car is very comfortable on the interstates, and in town is comfortable as well. Its exhaust note is mentioned often, and for good reason. I wanted a car that was fun to drive, but could carry my girlfriend, two dogs, and camping gear. It also needed to allow me to appear responsible. All in all, this car is a dream.

Soooo Fun.

Best Car Ever, 05/27/2005

The 2004 Volkswagen R32 is the most exciting car I have ever driven. My dad has a BMW 540i, and I have driven the current BMW M3 and I can still say I like my car better. It corners better, it feels so much more nimble overall. The M3 felt stiff.. even if it can rocket you to 60 in a time that scares the heck out of me. The R32 is a little weak at high speeds, but it is very good around town. The tires are phenominal. The suspension is great. I've noticed a bit of understeer though. This is a car you can fall in love with.

I love it!

R32Girl, 06/28/2005

My 2004 Volkswagen R32 makes driving a fun and exciting experience. The power gives me an adrenaline rush I never want to lose. I will never drive another car that isn't AWD, and I'm going to drive this car until it can't go anymore!

Its a 'Keeper'

Back2Dubs, 07/24/2005

I've had this car for over 1 1/2 years and it is just as much of a blast as when I first bought it. Best all 'rounder for the money in my opinion. Power is very good with lots of torque. While the stock handling is quite good a few suspension modifications turns it into a 'car on rails'.

2004 Volkswagen R32

Maybaby74, 08/27/2005

Wow, after owning a fixed-up, 480 hp 300ZX turbo, I'd never thought I would find another car to meet my performance needs! Everything on the R32 is top notch! The power delivery is silky smooth and linear! it's not as fast as some of the import turbos, but its more buttoned down, mature, and easy to live with. The handling/AWD is incredible and the tranny is perfect. The interior is very nice and the exterior hints (not screams) about the capabilites of the car. It is extremely stable both at high speeds and around curvy roads...what a car. And, there are only 5,000 in all of US...Ferrari exclusivity! This car is way more fun then the Z I used to own. and oh...did I mention the exhaust note!

My Red Rocket

Alex, 09/14/2005

I've had my Volkswagen R32 for eight months and will never get rid of it. I really enjoy driving to work and back and find any reason to go driving in it. Get lots of positive comments and surprise a lot of people. It handles great!

Great Package

Jean, 10/20/2005

Although it's not the fastest car out there, it does bring lots of pluses together in an elegant package.

To Keep or Not to Keep!

Sean, 10/20/2005

I love this car! Something I haven't said much over the 20 years since I first got my license. I have had 60 plus vehicles in that 20 years and this one stands next to my Stage 3 Roush Mustang and 69 Camaro (My first Car) in the all time, this cars a keeper ranking. The R32 does everything you ask of it and so much more. It has an interior that rivals cars costing $100,000 plus, the steering wheel seems to have been taken directly from an OMP or Sparco catalog and the exhaust note is usually reserved for Ferrari 360's and the like! Having said all that, the only thing this car lacks is a proper AWD system. The Haldex just doesn't cut it. It's not bad but true quatro would have been better!

UltraPhun

oedipus, 10/22/2005

This car is all about fun. It'll stick a grin on your face as soon as you turn the key and listen to the 3.2L VR6 engine come to life. Forget the GTI's of recent years. This thing means business and VW didn't disappoint. Gone are days of throwing on a GTI badge only to lift the hood and find a underpowered 2.0-liter inline-4 or having to resort to the utilitarian Golf, which, to give it credit, is not billed as a roller coaster ride. The German engineers got together and figured out how to revive the GTI/Golf name, and they called it R32. This car rocks. It handles with aplomb and the engine's high-torque output connects anywhere on the powerband. What a thrill!

VW R32 - Just as advertised :-)

Gianpaolo, 10/24/2005

From the first time I test drove this car out of the dealership I was impressed. Its true, it might not be as fast 0-60 as the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO or the Subaru WRS STi but this car was built to get to 155 MPH safely and fast! For a hardcore VW fanatic, this car beats hands down the competition due to the great refinements in the interior and the agility of the car. I have friends that have the EVO and STi, these cars need to be reved up really high to get the max torque whereas the R32 provides full torque at 3,200 rpm. The V6 engine can be easily upgraded with drop in supercharger / turbo charger kits making it a Porche / Evo / WRX / Ferrari killer.

Still a Great Car

Maybaby74, 12/23/2005

I have owned my Volkswagen R32 for about four months now and it still excites me each time I drive it! The exhaust note is still addicting and the handling is incredible! This car is all about balance. Where all other cars in this class are about trying to get the fastest 0-60 times or the highest G's and fastest slalom times, this car is about everyday, usable performance. On a 8/10 scale, it can keep up with anything on the road while delivering a comfortable ride, all wheel drive stability along with a bunch of options (moonroof, awsome stereo, automatic climate control, seat warmers, etc.). There is no turbo lag, no darty handling, just pure driving pleasure, and German style!

Good things come in Small packages

Falcone, 02/16/2004

The Brand New Volkswagen Golf R32 is a quick and fun car to drive. More power then it's little brother the GTI. The R32 is a 3.2 VR6 with 240hp, All-wheel drive german monster.

Uber Golf

gtiness, 02/20/2004

The combination of performance and luxury in a 2-dr hatchback in unique in the US market. An absolute blast to drive with looks that are sure to turn more than a few heads.

HOT HATCH!!

Smark A Myth, 02/22/2004

I got to drive one of these yesterday and, truth be told, the car was sold as soon as I heard the exhaust note. This will be my forth GTI (84,96,01,04) and my third VR6. I had gotten used to the power and wanted something faster for a while, but could not justify spending the extra $$ on a BMW. This car has everything the 330Ci does, plus all- wheel drive and it is $20K less!!

German Build Quality!

GermanRocket, 02/22/2004

Simply put, this car is amazing! the acceleration on this car is great, great torque in any location (watch the guy in the wrx try acceleration out of a turn....no power) the exterior of the car is beautiful and you can't beat stock 18" OZ rims, the rubbers rapping the wheels are equally amazing. the interior of the car is built with a fit and finish of a luxury car and then some! the seats are supportive the side bolstering holds you where you should be. The build quality on this car is amazing! shutting the door immediately tells you how solid this car is. and the best part, room for 5. An all around fantastic car

Hotvwcurves, 02/23/2004

pictures dont do the R32 justice, and she is well worth the price difference between the GTI (6K) for AWD, sport suspention a 3.2l vr6 6sp, naturally aspirated and had awesome potential for car builders, without having to worry about traction... engine pulls even all the way through, and the additional styling inside and out is flashy without getting you pulled over;)

King of the GTI

Bryans GTI, 02/25/2004

I must say Bravo! If you love performance, Then you have to try this wicked dream to drive. Just try to push the limits all wheel drive and Yul be left a little shaken but not stirred.

Lovely Jubbly!

fortistiger, 03/25/2006

The Volkswagen R32 is an awsome car all round. I have owned many cars and it tops them all! I can't find any fault with it. It is so much better than a BMW!

i love this car

Justin F, 02/29/2004

this is an exciting car to drive fast i love the way it handles corners a high speeds

CMR Review

crule, 03/01/2004

I purchasd the R32 one week ago, after seeing it actually make it to the dealers. I traded a 2003 GTI VR6 for it and I'm very happy I did. This is one fantastic performance car. The ride is a little stiffer than the vr6, but not a great deal. Turn-in is amazing and in- gear accelleration is like nothing I've ever experienced. I'm very happy that I've paid up for this car. I look forward to taking it to work every day.

Nice car

Severiano Rosales, 03/03/2004

I really love this car

Luxury Golf, more practical than a TT

vdub69, 03/02/2004

Since I've only had this car for almost a week, reliability and quality is not a question that can be answered yet. For this reason, I'm giving it a neutral rating. After 100,000 miles I'll let you know how reliable it was and how it holds together. I bought this car partly because I see it as a more practical(and less costly) version of the Audi TT. All-wheel drive (4-motion), similar engine, similar chassis, great stereo, great interior. This is a luxury car in Golf hatchback clothing. Automatic climate control seems to be working great.

Superb package!

ahnold, 03/06/2004

In a word:FUN. Has all the creature- comforts and practicality in a tight, fast, sticks-like-glue package. Test drive it and you'll buy it! Only 5000 produced for North America in 2004....destined for collectibility, I think.

VW R32: All-around Winner

Dinamael, 03/08/2004

* Subtle but attractive styling * Intoxicating exhaust note * Torquey, powerful engine across entire rev band * AWD puts the power down, even in the rain * Amazing leather seats * Much higher build quality/material quality than similar offerings from Subaru or Mitsubishi

vdubb6, 03/09/2004

No complaints. Eighth new VW, car is everything I had hoped for. 4-motion and engine are great. 6-speed seems to be very close ratio (in 1st thru 4th) and is a delight with a nice light clutch. Love the interior. Exhaust note is enhanced by removing vacuum line which controls a diverter valve byt the rear muffler, awesome!! Breaks are excellant, suspension is just right for street use.

Only 5,000 Will Be Made!!

.:R32Voiture, 03/09/2004

I love this car!!

.:R32 a blast to drive

BlueNJ.:R32, 03/11/2004

This car is simply everything I wanted in a sports car. It feels rock solid and just goes where you point it. The new independant rear suspension was a great move. Great acceleration in every geary. Gearbox is much better than any other VW I have owned. Race inspired seats fit like a glove and hold you right where you need to be. The exhaust note is pure sex to the ears. The interior is very plush and the exterior (WOW that blue is amazing) has great lines without being obnoxious. All of this with the added bonus of AWD... Perfect package to slap a supercharger on for an extra 80hp. WHOA!

04 R32

Cricket, 03/11/2004

Simple.... It is fun to drive.

Super bunny comes to US

DJCampy, 03/14/2004

About a year ago I was all set to purchase a WRX, until I drove it. Low quality interior, paint and turbo lag left me feeling flat. Don't get me wrong it's a nice car but not nice enough. It wasn't so much beter than my 1998 Jetta GT that I couldn't justify the $26k. My buddy (who has a 2001.5 GTI VR6 which I liked a lot but it was front wheel drive) told me about the R32 and gave me some european mags covering the car and I was immediately sold. I went down to the dealership and put down the deposit and began my wait. Six months later I took delivery of my black R32. I took it easy on the car for the first 1k miles (to break it in) then the fun began.

GTI R32

VWR32, 03/17/2004

This car is incredible, you can not find a better all around package, performance, handling, features, AWD, and that awesome sound! VW has done an excellent job here. I encourage anyone interested in this car to get one while they are available. There are not many cars that will put this kind of a smile on your face every time you drive it!

51050