Used 2014 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

TDI modified
By Jeffrey L. Audet

2014 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The infotainment system has periodic lags. The TDI modification lowered fuel economy by about 7 mpg. Highway is max 43 mpg now.

A-lot for car for the buck - seats
By Andy

2014 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was in a market to buy a family size sedan, which is safe, reliable, and with high MPG numbers, due to my long commute. I previously owned Cavalier, Infiniti 135, Toyota Camry, and all these cars are great car, and sold them once reached 150k miles. This time around, I wanted to buy a diesel car, hoping to be economical in terms of commute, and reliable well above 200k miles. After doing lots of research, I fell in love with Passat, and decided to buy one. In February 2014, I bought myself a Tdi Se Passat. I love the car at first. Very spacious interior, car came with 2-year maintenance package, so there was nothing to worry at this point. First time owning diesel car, I was greatly impressed with the engine performance, and fast shifting, auto manual transmission.
Cabin and trunk space is quite generous. Certainly, enjoy the dual clutch manual shifting while passing others on highway. Over all feel is quite safe, while driving in bad weather conditions. Drove through winter blizzard and still felt confident, traction controls, and weight distribution has significantly improved the driving dynamics of this car. I certainly enjoyed filing the tank twice for 1500-mile road trip. One tank full lasted about 725miles, significantly reduced my daily work commute cost. This car achieves higher MPG then listed, 29 combined, and 40 on highway.
I found Passat has the worst seats IMO. It is almost impossible to access the seat comfort, when you by the new car after driving for 15 minute. I thought, once I start driving, leather will loosen up, and seat will become more comfortable, but I was wrong. I love the car, but the terrible seats was causing back pain. After some of my friends complain about the bad seats, I took the car to professional upholstery car shop, and they pointed out, there is not enough cushion to support the lower back. After a year, and driving 20k miles, I had to give in, and finally trade in for other car. When you have a 100-mile daily commute, it is important to have comfortable seats.

Passat has many mfg flaws
By doug g

2014 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Great mileage. Comfortable seats. Large trunk. Great acceleration. Excellent for trips and daily commute.
However, i have just had the 3rd heater core installed in 2.5 yrs. Too many repairs and recalls.
Unless vw can improve their mfg controls, I Do Not reccommend it

Outstanding car. Get one before they fix 'em!!
By Powellss

2014 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Right now (summer 2016) this car is the bargain of the year if not the decade. The bottom has fallen out of the resale market because of Dieselgate. We couldn't resist any longer so we picked up a 1-owner specimen from a dealer in PA. We've had it for about six weeks and put 2500 miles on it during that time. Highway MPG is phenomenal.... you can achieve high 40s without really trying. Keep the speed under 80-85 and you will see 45-48 average MPG. We drove 1200 miles on two tanks full of gas last week, during a long road trip. Passing power on the highway is great, not spectacular, but again... you're not buying this car to set land speed records. That said, you can easily get to whatever speed you need to achieve, this side of 100. We can't speak to how hard it pulls when you're into triple digits. We're guessing it runs out of steam pretty quick, but then again, this isn't 11th grade. High-speed stability is excellent. The steering is tight and the car doesn't wander. City driving is a pleasure.... acceleration is very quick, as you'd expect with 230+ pounds of torque. MPGs in town will range from 20-30 depending on how aggressively you drive and how heavy the traffic is. The dual-clutch DSG tranny knocks out instantaneous shifts and matches the revs for you too. I've driven manual transmissions my whole life but this is an automatic you will never regret buying. It's always a pleasure driving this thing. The interior is well-designed and roomy. Some people have complained about the materials being less than top-shelf but it's really not an issue. We'd prefer a plain-looking interior that will age well, to one that will start to look tacky after a few years. Same story with the exterior styling, which is boring at first blush (it almost looks like an Impala from 10 years ago) but grows on you, and is actually halfway classy... just understated. You're not gonna impress a future love interest in this thing. (Get an Audi or BMW if you need to show off your spending power.) The front seats are roomy and supportive, the back seat is gigantic, and so is the trunk... except for the hinges which intrude into the cargo area. In terms of interior space, you're basically getting an A6 for less than A4 money. We've heard all the horror stories about reliability and dealer service. Hasn't been an issue yet and we're keeping our fingers crossed. Our other ride is a 17-year-old, '99 Passat V-6 with 220K miles which is still running well, so we know these cars can last a long time. Overall, as you might guess, we couldn't be happier. If VW ever asked us what else this car needs... we'd say (1) an AWD option for the 50-60% of Americans who get to deal with snow for 4-5 months a year; (2) a rear-seat DVD / entertainment system; (3) standard HomeLink garage opener on all trim levels; (4) bubble mirrors built into the side view mirrors; (5) a real front bumper..... yeah we know, super retro; (6) bump strips on the doors to protect your sheetmetal from idiots in the 7-11 parking lot; and (7) at least one 12v outlet that stays on when you turn off the ignition. That's about it. Like we said.... right now this car is definitely the bargain of the year.

Nice Riding car Bad parts and Bad company
By Timothy Fay

The company swindled lots of people into buying these So called clean diesels, They were actually a minimum of 5x the legal limit on NOX emissions. The Maintenance costs on the VW is obsurd, and the car has had nothing but recalls, the entire time I've owned the car. I Can't get any of my recalls fixed, because One recall is over a year old with no resolution, and 2 are several months old with no parts for the air bag or the defective connector seals, which could go on fire. VW does not care about your safety or your business. They will lie, cheat and steal to get your money in their pockets. I would not recommend a VW to anyone. I'm still fighting to get my recalls completed. VW's air bag announcement stated I may not have an air bag for 3 years. Shows how much they care about making your car safe. They will not give you loaners or rental cars while recalls are being completed where cheaper manufacturers such as Honda does so voluntarily. Stay away. There are much better quality cars for much less money. Oil changes are a minimum of $90. They claim that because you don't have to change oil for 10k miles that it justifies the price. Take my advise. DO NOT BUY VW. They are a rip off, and you don't get what you pay for. The char is very basic for the money. No real tech features come standard.