Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Owned Since May 2012
By Brian Reed

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This has been the best car I have ever owned.

Mechanical:
I have the underrated 2.5L 5 cylinder with the 6 speed automatic (not DSG). While this transmission is not particularly quick shifting what it does do and do very well is smoothness. It shifts right when I'd want it to and doesn't wait to downshift when I need it to. The manual mode also holds gears clear up to redline as well as when I am climbing grades. I live in Utah so, there are many, many grades to climb. The Passat handles them all.

I have 115,000+ miles on this car in the 6+ years I've had it. I have had zero issues. I change the oil regularly and keep up with the service schedules for everything else. This engine gets awesome MPG too. Throughout its life with me, I consistently see 28 mpg city/36 mpg highway. My highest mpg I've gotten is 44.1 on I-80 from Reno to Wendover. This car has great torque down low too so it squirts off the line. Stick the shifter in Sport mode and all that torque will squeal the tires and match revs as it speeds away. Manual mode is a blast too. It is a controllable Sport mode.

Interior:
Rattle-free to this day. I am a big guy. I have long legs and like to stretch out as I drive. I do not want the keys to hit me in the leg. In other cars, this driving position clobbers rear seat legroom and limits it to a duffel bag on the seat as the only thing that fits. In this car, I have friends, some of which are 6 foot 6 inches tall, sit behind me there and still have room - knee, foot, whatever. The car is a limo. The seat material has held up great. No tears, no split seams, nothing.

The only issues I have with the interior are the lack of rear seat HVAC vents in the center console. That and the metallic coating on the front passenger door latch has started to come off.

EVERYTHING else looks like new. This car has been used in grizzly Los Angeles rush hour traffic, 1,000+ mile road trips, dogs, suitcases, packages, BBQ grills, whatever. It still looks new!!!

Recommendation:
I wish VW still made this car with the 5 cylinder. I love this car and highly recommend it to anyone looking for something reliable, roomy, and economical.

Avoid this car!
By Cameron Davis

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan V6 SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

I brought a 2012 in 2013. It had 15K miles. It was fun to drive and pretty much trouble free until I got to about 110K miles. Check engine light came on in October of last year. Needed catalytic converter and brakes. It set me back 3500.00 I was hesitant, but didn't want to trade it because it was worth about 5000.00 and I owed about 10,000.00. In January after sitting for about 5 days while I was on vacation every light on the dash came on. ABS, airbag, traction control and tire pressure. The dealership said it may be the power steering rack. May be? They wanted another 4000.00. I said no way. The service adviser at Piazza Volkswagen in Ardmore Pa said, well it has 135K miles". I gave up. I'm now driving a 2018 Honda Accord EX. I will never buy another European car. No BMW, no Mercedes, Audi... Stay away from VW is my advise. I want a car that I can pay off and still drive. The Passat is not that car. No resale value and too expensive to maintain.

Passat 2012
By PBruhn

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I had this car almost a year now, runs well. I drive alot and recently I got 505 miles before I had to refuel which is a bonus. The only thing missing is a sunroof however the way the windshield is I get decent sun.

Exceeds each expectation
By Chris

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought mine for $9,345 OTD with 101k miles but excellent service records. It's my first car and I can confidently reccomend the Passat (2012 anyway) or Jetta (2011) to teen drivers. The interior feels like a luxury car and is more spacious than some vans. The small little German engineering touches that you pick up on are genious. It's fun to drive (feels and sounds like a V6 but it's an I5); Sport mode is peppy but you'll see about 19 mpg city tops. The cabin is rather quiet and comfy. From what I've heard, if you take care of it, the cliché high cost-of-ownership seen on VWs can be avoided.

First VW owner
By GrantK

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Overall not a bad vehicle, great mileage for a car this size, huge trunk, rear folding seats increase storage. Doors are very light and sound deadening could be better, drives nice and plenty of leg room both front and back. Seat quality is less than average, no drivers seat tilt is a joke, there is zero bolster for thigh support. The "leatherette" seating is ok, not great, front seat heaters are nice. Starting to experience some mechanical issues, suspension rattles, drivers door locking module is failing, doors constantly auto locking after stopping or slowing down, gas cap light causing an EVAP code even after replacing the cap with a factory supplied unit. I was warned by a former VW owner that once you hit 100K things will start failing, hope that isn't the case.