Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

Used New Beetle for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...23

Pros
Cons
2.5 out of 5 stars

Good riddance

Theresa, 04/17/2008
GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Being a baby boomer I just HAD to have one of these. Big mistake. Once things started going south it was fast and furious. The biggest downer was having to have the transmission replaced for $3500. While it was there they managed to find another $500 worth of work. Part prices are ridiculous. A dash light was always coming on for one reason or another. The cup holder was just plain dumb and there was no CD player--oh yeah--you could put one in the trunk if you wanted to. The gas mileage was terrible for a car that small. Overall workmanship was shabby. I have made it my mission to tell anyone who will listen how poor the overall quality is.Don't make the same mistake I did.

2.13 out of 5 stars

Run don't walk from this car!

Angry VW owner, 06/09/2008
GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car from a friend who had won it. So, I was considered a 2nd owner, so I got cheated out of a 50K mile warranty by VW, even though my friend never insured or drove the car. Beyond that the car is plain and simple--JUNK! The catalytic converter needed to be replaced at about 52K miles, VW wouldn't warranty it. They finally did up to 100k by that time I had over 100K. The check engine light has been on forever, and the transmission is sketchy. The interior is a mess. Cup holders broken, seat fabric is torn, rear view mirror is a joke, not to mention the interior light. Trunk release broken and the fuel release door broken. Don't buy this car unless your are a masochist

4.88 out of 5 stars

For the Love of Torque

linderov, 03/16/2007
GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been a terrific car, very durable and reliable and looking good doing it. My kids don't ever complain about being cramped although I think they probably are. It's cozy and all their friends love it. With the sunroof and windows open, it's like a convertible, too, fun and loud, and like a party ready to go. Even though the car is now 6 + years old, it still attracts attention, and not just from kids, although kids really love it. It gets 45 mpg in mixed use, typically. I've never had problems here in Detroit with the cold weather and diesel. The diesel is quiet and pleasant sounding in normal use, and has a higher pitch singing sound when you hammer it to kick in the turbo.

3.5 out of 5 stars

Fun, economical, but too many problems.

Kristi, 05/17/2007
GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a VW driver my entire life and never even considered anything else, but this car has been a huge disappointment. The electric windows malfunctioned twice, the trunk latch has had to be fixed twice, the sunroof wasn't draining properly so every time it rained I had 2 inches of water in my car, the back seat head rests are broken, the lens cover on the headlight pops off randomly, and I have an electronic issue causing a drain on the battery, so the car is dead and has to be jumped about half of the time. Our neighborhood mechanic couldn't fix it so we took it to the dealer, they had it two weeks and still were unable to solve the problem. We sadly will not be buying another VW.

3.5 out of 5 stars

Great Economy Car!

DN, 07/06/2007
GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We purchased our '01 Beetle TDI for the sole purpose of wanting a car that was great on fuel and have been relatively happy with it. It's by no means a luxury car. It's loud on the highway, but great on gas. We average mid-upper 30s in the city and upper 40s on the highway. We did manage to squeeze out 54 mpg on the way out to Nevada last summer. I would recommend this car for the econo minded person.

12345...23