Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

Used New Beetle for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...23

Pros
Cons
2.38 out of 5 stars

Fun to drive when the car works.

hombeboyfu, 07/19/2011
GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The TDI Beetle has some nice characteristics to it like great fuel economy, reasonable amount of torque produced from the 1.9L engine, and overall fun to drive. The down side is the car is almost completely plastic. So expect thing to randomly break apart on it. These cars is riddled with electrical problems that doom every VW owner to spend massive amounts of time and money at repair shops. In conclusion, unless you have plenty of money, time, and want to become a good friend of your local VW/Audi Tech avoid this car like it was an ex-spouse with the plague.

5 out of 5 stars

Best car I ever owned!

Gravel Gertie, 10/14/2008
GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Husband & I bought this great diesel auto on a whim . Traded our 4 Runner in on it and I'll drive it till the wheels fall off. We get 50 MPG and will pass anything on the road. Has a manual tranny and that makes it more fun !! AND I still get 50 MPG with the A/C running! Why they stopped making them is beyond me! I love this car --- and it still has the original battery, going strong.

4.13 out of 5 stars

I must have gotten the good one...

Stan Balog, 08/01/2004
GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2001 GLX "Sport" limited edition bought in 9/2002. In contrast to 90% of the reviews here, I have never had anything go wrong with this car. Not one thing. Three years of perfect servitude. My dealer could suck; I wouldn't know. Beefed up the turbo with a performance chip - this thing is an Audi TT with more headroom (6'2") but with a mushier suspension for those hard turns. Bought this as a winter car to complement my C5 Corvette, and it's held its own. Checked out this place to see whether to buy as it's going off-lease- all these other reviews made me think that I got lucky (maybe that's the 'limited edition' part?

3.25 out of 5 stars

2001 Volkswagon Beetle

Jen, 04/30/2008
GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only been driving this vehicle for a couple of weeks. I bought it because of rising fuel costs and I thought I could save some money with this car. I can't complain about. What used to cost me $400 a month in gas is now costing me not even $200! Unfortunately what you save in gas will cost you at the mechanic. This car is EXPENSIVE to work on. As far as interior? Forget it! Chipping door handles, broken sideview mirror knob, broken, good for nothing cup holders, broken arm rest, cheap material easily stained seats, I could go on and on. In fact, just this morning, I went to start my car and the key broke off in the ignition! 2 weeks of driving this car and I'm ready to sell it!

4.38 out of 5 stars

Love my Bug

be, 06/08/2005
GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I adore my bug, buuuutt, it has had a few "bugs" of it's own. I have had 3 headlamps go (they are super hard & expensive to change out...even for mechanic). My window button broke with the window down of course. I took out my oil pan, which was my fault, but found out from mechanic they are "fragile" aluminum and low. Dealership service is way pricey (aren't they all?) My paint is chipping on the interior door panel. It has great pep even on long uphill (not your mama's bug!...I had one of those too.) Great air and heat system..not like old Bugs!! Lots of room...you could do ballroom dancing on the dash! Great safety features, bags on front & sides too, roll bar, drop away engine.

12345...23