Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

Used New Beetle for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...23

Pros
Cons
4.5 out of 5 stars

Over 315,000 miles and still getting 49.5mpg!

twincitytdiguy, 02/07/2014
GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this TDI Beetle from a customer at 300K. He had it from new. The car is in great overall condition, original clutch, rustfree, and still gets an amazing 49.5 mpg highway at 78mph in the summer. I bought the car a little over 4 months ago and managed to put on 15,000 miles. I go where I want. I am not afraid to take this car across the country, I am planning a trip to Florida in the spring for some baseball action. Very fun car to drive. Gotta go with the folks upset by the cupholders. They seem to be an after thought. Germans can't understand why we drink beverages in our cars. If you are a taller person, I'm 6'7", This car has a lot of room. I can nearly straighten my left leg.

4.38 out of 5 stars

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance

johnnygeneric, 05/09/2015
GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've enjoyed the heck out of this car. I would not hesitate to buy a new one. In fact, we are becoming a VW family. We bought my wife a 2015 Passat. It would have been a Beetle but the Passat was rated as very quiet, which was her #1 criteria. But, having said that, if you don't maintain the car, it will fail you. The 2001 model has lots of misgivings. Stay on top of the maintenance and fix things when they break. And you will be happy with the car.

3.88 out of 5 stars

Fun, but not worth it

James, 10/09/2010
GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

Fun to drive, but cheaply made. Interior isn't thought out well, and is almost funny in it's badness. Interior peels off, switches and knobs break very easy, and forget about getting a drink and planning to fit it in the cupholder.

3.75 out of 5 stars

2001 Volkswagon Beetle TDI

Ben , 10/08/2008
GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having driven everything from a Ford Thunderbird to a Dodge 2500 the Beetle TDI (Turbo Diesel Injected) was an interesting buy. The acceleration for the Beetle is not that bad. You must remember, it's a gas saving coup NOT a sports car. Folks made the same mistake with the Delorean. Driving experience is fun but not outstanding. Excellent reliability as long as the car is maintained properly. Remember, you get what you pay for. Interior is well designed but cup holders are not made for holding the average cup unless you're a hobbit. Paint is good but could use a thicker clear coat. Unless you are abusing it or are just rough on cars, this v-dub is a tough little sucker. Not luxury, but works

5 out of 5 stars

The porsche of the middle class, the 2001 vw Beetle Vortex Blue Edition.

vortexblue2001, 02/21/2013
GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this Beetle in 2006 with 216,000 thousand miles. Now has 255,000 thousand miles. When i purchased the car it needed many things like 4 coils, 4 spark plugs, all the filters,brakes, etc. Basically a a deep regular maintenance. I spend about 1,500 hundred dollars which included the parts and labor to put it up to speed, of course i did not take it to the dealership otherwise labor alone will had cost me 1,500. After that never had a problem with it. I replace the water pump and timing belt 3years ago so i have another 60,000 miles more to go. The Beetle has a ( 5- speed manual transmision) thats one of the reasons the car has lasted this long.This car is a good car if you service it.

12345...23